Home Network Encrypted

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My home network is locked down (thanks for inspiring me, Wab). That will teach my thieving neighbors who had a free ride for the last year. I'm sure I'll see the Comcast trucks on my street next week. :LOL:

The whole process took about 2 minutes. I was just too darn lazy to figure out what to do. I have an adversion to working on technical stuff at home.

Mine is now locked down as well after that thread. Mine only took 2 days and was finally resolved with LINKSYS tech Support!

But I'm glad I did it. :)

Cut-Throat said:
Mine is now locked down as well after that thread. Mine only took 2 days and was finally resolved with LINKSYS tech Support!

But I'm glad I did it. :)

I remember reading about your plight. I use Netgear myself and the EASY instructions are so in your face when you login to the router.

cube_rat said:
I remember reading about your plight.  I use Netgear myself and the EASY instructions are so in your face when you login to the router. 

The problem was NOT the LINKSYS Router. - It was more Microsoft Windoz :(

I have a wireless network in the house and I can "see" three other networks in the neighborhood that are not secure. Mine is locked so I am not worried about anybody else using it. I check for activitiy on the router from time to time just to make sure. ;)

I find it hard to believe people don't protect themselves better. I have a firewall on top of my Netgear encription.

Belt and suspenders kind of guy I guess.

I need some more help on this.  I can see my neighbor's routers from my second story, but not from the 1st.  Can I bridge their network to mine by moving my wireless router to the second floor? (it currently resides on the first floor). 

LOL!!! I came home this afternoon only to find 2 comcast trucks and a SBC DSL truck parked on my street. No more freebies for my highjacking neighbors! In addition, I used to get a lot of disruption with my network connectivity. Since encrpyting the problem mysteriously went way.

riskaverse said:
I need some more help on this. I can see my neighbor's routers from my second story, but not from the 1st. Can I bridge their network to mine by moving my wireless router to the second floor? (it currently resides on the first floor).

Are you highjacking, Risk?

Cube-rat,

Nice!!

I love to see people pay their own way instead of ripping me off.

When I lived in TX, I had only been in the house a little while when I noticed a strange looking wire running from the cable TV box in my yard over to my neighbor's house. Upon further investigation I saw he was spliced into my cable downstream of the cable connections. :mad:

Needless to say...a pair of wire cutters took care of that. I left the wires where they were so he would think it was still a secret. I saw him in the yard the next day and he was really not wishing to take to me. I would check the wires about once a week when I cut the grass to see if he had reconnect it but he didn't.

The guy never got his own cable as far as I could tell.

riskaverse said:
I need some more help on this. I can see my neighbor's routers from my second story, but not from the 1st. Can I bridge their network to mine by moving my wireless router to the second floor? (it currently resides on the first floor).

It sounds like you're trying to get on your neighbor's wireless network with a wireless client downstairs. No, moving the wireless router won't work unless it can be configured as a repeater for your neighbor's network. If you're trying to use the wireless router to grab his signal and put it on your wire it won't work unless you can make the wireless router a station instead of an access point. I'm sure each is technologically doable with the right equipment, but offhand I don't know if home wireless routers have those options.

I have a traffic-controlling hombuilt router at home. If I had wireless I would be able to give my PCs priority over other traffic and/or divide the bandwidth between clients. It could be amusing especially if I wanted to toy with them and slow it down to 56k or less, but given that some online actions can get you sued or jailed these days I wouldn't leave a wireless network open. (On the other hand, there's always plausible deniability...)

I want wireless, but I live in a one bedroom apartment and have no laptop so it's rather silly and unnecessary; or at best unreasonably expensive for my uses. One of these days I'll find an excuse though...

cube_rat said:
Are you highjacking, Risk?

Not yet, it looks like it's a little more complex than I thought. Doesn't an unsecured router in your neighborhood mean the area is WIFI enabled? (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I got no problem with splitting costs with my neighbor(s). The WIFI situation reminds me of:
Phone hardware in the 60's
Cable TV in the 70's
Computer Software in the 80's
Telephone service in the 90's
Recorded music in the 00's

Remember when you paid the telco for every extension phone per month and you could only buy from AT&T? The big innovation was charging you $2.50 per month to supply digital dialing which drove down their costs. Only when people bought their own "questionably legal" phones did the stranglehold the telco had on what was availble start to breakup.

I expect WIFI to be free in the next few years after neighbors find out how to share costs.

I know I've got to do it. I'm not worried so much about neighbors glamming onto the internet. But hackers looking for a hard drive to peruse can scare me into action.

BUM said:
I know I've got to do it. I'm not worried so much about neighbors glamming onto the internet. But hackers looking for a hard drive to peruse can scare me into action.

Your neighbors can't hack into your hard drive if you have the appropriate firewall tools.  It's just annoying to have freeloaders using MY bandwidth that I pay $46.95 per month for.  Let them buy their own bandwidth.   

I'm getting 3,500,000 bits per second throughput on my cable connection. I have a WiFi network setup and am in favor of sharing - especially if they're willing to chip in for the bill. There is no way I can use even a fraction of the available bandwidth.

If you share your connection everything you do online that isn't SSL encrypted (https://) can be seen by the other computers that are connected through your router (wired or wireless).

My network isn't open. I share with people I trust. Folks I would leave my house keys with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom