Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear that Bob. For years you're going to be hearing noises at night.

When we lived in the big bad city, we had an electronic barking dog, and I had a big dog dish out by the door. I also made a security closet with a reinforced door. I had a safe that was bolted to the floor.

Sometimes I'd tape a note on the door that said "Don't knock -- Joe's sleeping after 10 straight hours of SWAT team duty."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our previous house got broken into through the basement door. DW went to the grocery store with my daughter who was 4 years old at the time and returned a half hour later to discover a VCR a cordless phone and some jewelry missing . The police nabbed the burglar later in the day while trying to break into another house in town. The stolen goods were kept as evidence in the police station for a year and a half. The guy pleaded guilty and received a 10 years sentence for a number of robberies he committed.

When we moved to our current house a year later because of job relocation it had a monitored alarm system. We pay 30 dollars a month for monitoring. It gives DW a peace of mind when I travel especially when a neighbor's home got broken into a year or so ago.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently upgraded my security system by moving next door to Joe Horn.

Chron.com | News, search and shopping from the Houston Chronicle

I do however like bunnies' "blinkin' camera" idea. Where would one find one of these?

t.r.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #24

Retired law enforcement here. If I got a nickel for every false alarm I ran I could've retired ten years earlier. I HATE those damn things! Statistically they do reduce the probability by about 50%. My house does not have one, but I have a 9mm within easy reach. My personal opinion is that a large, territorial, ill-tempered dog is the best preventative.

CFB has it nailed. Only thing left out is a light on every side of the house. You don't have to light it up like Stalag 13, just a 10 watt compact florescent to take away the shadows.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #25

The creative deterrent ideas on this thread are great - I'm cracking up. As for a big barking snarling dog - yup - that works on me. I also like the door signs - makes people think twice. Thanks for the ideas
Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
I do however like bunnies' "blinkin' camera" idea. Where would one find one of these?
Search on amazon for "fake security camera". Domes, regular looking ones and big honkin "you cant miss this from 100' away" versions. About $10-30.

While you're there, look at the "customers who bought this also looked at/bought". Usually good for a few laughs. Nothing good right now though. Once it was a lot of ladies undergarments in extra large.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sorry to hear that Bob. For years you're going to be hearing noises at night.

When we lived in the big bad city, we had an electronic barking dog, and I had a big dog dish out by the door. I also made a security closet with a reinforced door. I had a safe that was bolted to the floor.

Sometimes I'd tape a note on the door that said "Don't knock -- Joe's sleeping after 10 straight hours of SWAT team duty."
Speaking of "big dog" accessories, you can also buy some extra large fake dog turds to place on the lawn. Throw out some old cow leg bones from the local butcher shop and the burglar will be convinced the hound from hell lives there.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If anyone wants to buy some dog turds, I can supply about as much as anyone would want.

Eh, looks like I've got some cat turds if you want to scare off any allergic burglars.

All of this is presuming that they arent turd burglars.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

by the time the police respond to a residential alarm call the bad guys are long gone. they are such a low priority in most areas that its not even worth expecting the police will show before its to late. i cancelled my monitoring services, they are useless.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

my answering machine: HI WE CANT COME TO THE PHONE RIGHT NOW, AS IM BUSY CLEANING MY SHOTGUN AND MARILYN IS OUT WALKING OUR DOBERMAN AND OUR PITBULL.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post

t.r.
If you want to buy one at a brick and mortar store, Harbor Freight has them. Sometimes they go on sale for half price.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I want an alarm system that plays the subtle but unmistakable sound of a Remington 870 chambering a round.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #32

I have a couple of signs on my property - you have to pretty far up my driveway to see it(12 acres) that says "you are now in range" inside of a bullseye. The same sign is in an area of woods that is most likely an entry point for any bad guys. We have some big loud and friendly dogs....but they don't sound friendly.
When we go away for extended perids of time - I put all finacial docs. in the safe deposit box and hide other valuables in very out of place spots.
No problems yet. It is a worry though....
Heck I think our 300# potbellied pig would scare away most folks not invited!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an alarm with $33 monthly monitoring. Always set it. Never forget.

I also keep gun(s) on me at all times, and a 12 gauge and AR-15 in the safe in case the revolution breaks out.

Wouldn't dream of not having an alarm w/motion detectors. I want to know their coming. Gives me time to wake up and grab my gun.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I have an alarm and paid $246 last year for monitoring. I think the alarm co signs also help. Hardwired system with no false alarms. I'm thinking of installing an entrance gate.

My last house had lots of false alarms on a wireless system.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
by the time the police respond to a residential alarm call the bad guys are long gone. they are such a low priority in most areas that its not even worth expecting the police will show before its to late. i cancelled my monitoring services, they are useless.
High false alarm rates are the reason the police make them such a low priority. In many jurisdictions the owners are fined for repeated false alarms, some have an escalating scale topping out at $500 per false alarm. In a few, the police ignore them altogether and will only respond after the owner or a representative from the alarm company arrives and verifies that some offense has taken place.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #36

For unwelcome night time visitors, you can set up a motion sensing flash camera that hunters use to see what size deer and other game are using game trails at night. People who've done this say the blinding flash really sends the bad guys scurrying. As an added bonus, they and possibly their vehicle are captured on film for the police to see.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
For unwelcome night time visitors, you can set up a motion sensing flash camera that hunters use to see what size deer and other game are using game trails at night. People who've done this say the blinding flash really sends the bad guys scurrying. As an added bonus, they and possibly their vehicle are captured on film for the police to see.
I really like that idea. They're what, about $100 or so in the Bass Pro Shops catalog.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

These are good fun too.

Amazon.com: Contech Electronics Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler #CRO101/CRO102: Home Improvement

Detects motion and sprays water at it...up to 35'.

Works great for pests and unwanted visitors. Combine it with the camera above and you could get some nice pics of wet prowlers with very unhappy looks on their faces.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to be a cop also and also hate alarms. So many false alarms. I don't have one.

I will never forget we had a burglary problem in one area. Once the burglar was stopped and the wife was so proud. Her husband had just installed a deadbolt with three inch screws going into the frame. It stopped the burglar, he always just kicked in the front door. The door was screwed up but the frame held and kept him out. I put those 3 inch screws in all my deadbolts. It's amazing some locksmith only use 1/2 inch screws with the deadbolts.
If they want to get in they will though. An alarm just makes them leave the house quicker after they get in.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #40

Actually we set up one of these up in the back yard. Has front yard coverage.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote