Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That oughta do it. Might want to put up a sign that says "beware high volume chain gun".

Good tip if your old hinge and deadbolt screws arent holding anymore. Remove the screws and plate. Drill a hole a little larger than the screw hole. Get a piece of hardwood dowel thats the same size as the hole you drilled. Coat it with wood glue and stick it in the hole, then cut or chip it off once it bottoms out against a stud in the wall. Allow to dry, drill new holes for the screws and voila...

If you're going in with the 2.5-3" screws, drill larger holes, use a 1/2" or larger dowel and then instead of the screws being embedded in a couple of studs here and there, they'll be completely engaged in the dowel end to end.

Just make sure you drill the holes straight and plumb or your screws will come out of the edge of the dowel inside the wall and split it.

Nice fix for an old door and frame that are still in good shape but the screw holes are worn out.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
These are good fun too.

Amazon.com: Contech Electronics Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler #CRO101/CRO102: Home Improvement

Detects motion and sprays water at it...up to 35'.

Works great for pests and unwanted visitors. Combine it with the camera above and you could get some nice pics of wet prowlers with very unhappy looks on their faces.
"One more step and I'll moisten you."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
"One more step and I'll moisten you."
Hmmm. Sounds like a line you might have used a lot when you were dating...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
HAHA! talk about over the plate
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

It got more use after a few beers following the dates that didn't work out.

God, I loved college.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few years ago we were broken into on a Saturday evening when 3 of us were home, lights and TV on and there were 2 cars in the garage. It was 2 neighborhood punks (one under 18 ) and an older friend of theirs who had a long record of various offenses.

I don't know why they picked us. Our house looks nothing like there would be anything valuable inside compared to any neighbors. One of the neighborhood punks had gone to school with my older son, who was away at college at the time. He remembered him but there were never any problems with him before. They just picked our house.

They kicked in the back door to the attached garage and broke a kitchen window. And then they ran. It made so much noise that a neighbor came outside to check what it was, saw jerks running around the corner and recognized one and knew he lived on the next block. I called 911 and the neighbor also called 911. By the time the police got to our house, they were also already at the house where they were headed and were making arrests.

It sounds like this would be a simple case to get through the courts, but it went on for months. We'd get notified to appear in court, show up and there would be delays, no shows, all kinds of problems. I was fine with following up on each individual, but the neighbor who witnessed and reported also had to show up and he had to take off time from work and this was a huge ongoing hassle for him.

The juvenile eventually plead guilty and got 2 weeks in Juvenile Detention, one adult plead guilty and paid for damages. The other adult with the record was held in jail, then released on bond. On the day we all were supposed to go to court he threatened to kill our city prosecutor, so it all got postponed and transferred to another city. He later plead to a long list of charges on all kinds of unrelated crimes, ours was bundled in there and the bond money that his mother had paid was sent to us as restitution.

We replaced the door with a much better one with a better lock and repaired the window. We don't live in a high crime area. We don't have anything of high value, I think it was just random, or the one kid from the neighborhood figured we'd be easy. It's possible that the older guy was looking for cash or credit cards. We have some well hidden cash and credit cards can be canceled.

I like the idea of the security company signs and making it look like you have a large dog, although our cats sleeping in the front window may reduce the believability of that one. I keep a golf club in the corner of the bedroom if anyone ever got in while we were home, but I'm not sure I'd be able to use it. I'd probably hide in the closet.

What really shocked me was that they were stupid enough to do this when it was obvious that we were home. They didn't have weapons, or even tools, so what was the point?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

What really shocked me was that they were stupid enough to do this ...
That remains the problem with all the defenses and deterrents that make sense. These perpetrators are stupid, some of them dangerously so. It's difficult to understand how some of them have even survived as long as they have.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
That remains the problem with all the defenses and deterrents that make sense. These perpetrators are stupid, some of them dangerously so. It's difficult to understand how some of them have even survived as long as they have.
I've had them commit crimes right in front of me. Stupidity=job security.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Sue...I've got 3 big dogs AND 3 cats. Surprisingly, they get along great. Whenever our big fat male cat comes in the house, our big fat male dog that looks like a small bear goes right over to him, they sniff each other all over, and both lick the others faces.

Since I've also been attacked fairly effectively by two feral cats, it may be that the cats are more feared than the dogs
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
High false alarm rates are the reason the police make them such a low priority. In many jurisdictions the owners are fined for repeated false alarms, some have an escalating scale topping out at $500 per false alarm. In a few, the police ignore them altogether and will only respond after the owner or a representative from the alarm company arrives and verifies that some offense has taken place.
unless you pay for armed guard responce for big bucks aint no one from the alarm company coming, that is unless you can persuade the secretary to come over for a few drinks. maybe she can find a few penal code violations.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #51

We also had a very helpful police walk trough after a problem many years ago. The officer did a great 10 minute walk through and for less than $100 with no recurring fees we had a much more secure home.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Throw in a sign "I'm armed and all trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again. Dogs will eat whatevers left over".
"Trespassers will be violated"

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #53

Grave stone next to the driveway that says "Here lies the last S.O.B. that trespassed on this property"
Old 04-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the X10 system in the mail on Friday, they have fast shipping.

I would say the overall quality of the system is almost worth what I paid for it.

The alarm siren (sound) is not extremely loud. I even had the extra siren/horn with the system I ordered.

I haven't fully set it up yet but it seems to work ok.

The cords on the door/window sensors aren't long enough to put the transmitter in as inconspicuous spot as possible.

They claim you can install the sytem in 30 minutes on their website... yeah right. It took almost that long to unpackage each individually wrapped and boxed component.

Still debating if I want to just send it back... :-(
Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

When we had double-hung windows, we did this for all of them:

Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #56

Al, your design was one of the items the officer suggested and we implemented, only tweak would be eyebolt sounds like an expensive 2 cents each item we just used a nail.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I blew a buck a package for two track locks with thumbscrews. Just a u-shaped metal piece you slip over one of the window tracks, tighten the thumbscrew and voila...you can only open the window that far. Easy to adjust, move and remove.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

31 years in this house and one break-in about 20 years ago. We were at dinner and came home to find the window in the back door broken. Small items, some sentimental, were missing but nothing large. We had double cylinder deadbolt locks and even after climbing through the window, the culprit couldn't unlock the door to carry bigger things out.

We replaced the door with one with a smaller window, kept the double cylinder deadbolt locks and decided against a security system. My main concern is our personal safety and vandalism and don't worry too much about the theft aspect.

We choose or home owners insurance carefully and secure the house at bedtime. Beyond that, security systems, dogs, etc., are more trouble than they're worth.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
dogs are more trouble than they're worth.
Disagrees:

Concurs with the disagreement:

Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #60

I'm with the bunny on this one - my dogs bring alot to my life....
I take a walk to our nearby lake almost every day because of how much my dogs love it - it is a kick to see how easy they are to please! I enjoy looking at life/a walk through their eyes.
I also appreciate how these animals protect our home - I always know when the bobcat/mountain loin/coyotes are around our house - the dogs have a special bark for these animals - a long sustained deep bark - it sounds like a classic - woof, woof etc. I know when UPS is coming - if someone is cutting through my property to get to the lake etc.
I guess one of the reasons for this post is - we lost one of our 3 dogs yesterday, she was a volunteer(showed up 6 years ago as an old dog) and fit in with us and our other critters right away- Susie was as dumb as a box of rocks but she made up for it with her enthusiasm - I swear she would blink and be happy to see you again....