Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Donzo ,So sorry about your dog !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Donzo, it was good of you to take Susie in, I'm sure she returned the kindness. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
What really shocked me was that they were stupid enough to do this when it was obvious that we were home. They didn't have weapons, or even tools, so what was the point?
Some of them are so stupid it hurts just trying to contemplate their thought processes. Burglary is not that complicated of a crime to pull off. If they do it more than a couple of times they will all eventually get caught when they make a mistake or are unlucky. Don't be seen, don't leave fingerprints all over the place, and don't hock the stuff in some way that it will be traced back to you.

Some of them are not stupid, despite being dumb enough to think they can get away with it forever. Sometimes guys like that can amass quite a string of crimes before they get caught.

When I was a detective I cleared several hundred burglary cases on one defendant. He was in the county jail awaiting transfer to the penitentiary and he had no commissary money. In exchange for cigarettes and coffee (and no additional charges) he agreed to show me every burglary he had done in the city (he had already done the same for a county detective who was a friend of mine). The guy had an amazing memory for details, so I made him prove each case to me by detailing something unique about what he stole or saw inside each home. I could have cleared more cases than I did, but as it was it took me weeks to write all of the supplemental reports to clear the cases.

He had just finished showing me the locations of 50-60 apartment burglaries when suddenly he remembered something and told us to turn down a dead-end street. There was a small townhome complex of 8-10 units and he commenced to admitting to burglarizing all of them except one.

We were sitting in the parking lot while I was scribbled notes when I noticed a couple leaving the unit that doofus had not burgled. The guy immediately knocked us off and almost as quickly I recognized him as a cop from my agency that I had seen around. We got to talking, and after I explained what was going on, he said "That's got to be the SOB that stole my guns!"

When I got back in the car I asked doofus if he was sure he hadn't made a clean sweep in the complex. "No sir, I hit all of 'em except that one there. I meant to, just never quite got around to it though."

He was dumb enough to be a crook, just not a real stupid one.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #64

In our case, when one of them kicked in the old wooden back door to the garage, the wood broke into a few pieces. After the police officer took some pictures he picked up one of the shattered pieces of wood and showed me a lovely, complete shoe print. Yeah, these guys were amateurs, and dumb, too.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

A group was recently arrested in our area. They had a friend who delivered newspapers and told them which customers had temporary stop delivery orders.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Donzo....... if you read my post, you'll see CFB edited and then mis-quoted, changing the meaning. My statement said that dogs and security systems are more trouble than they're worth in regards to preventing break-ins. Not that if you want pets, dogs are a bad choice.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Oh gosh youbet, first I'm a lover of worker exploitation and now I'm dead guilty of selectively quoting you for the nefarious purposes of posting cute puppy pictures.

I took out a couple of words in the middle because I didnt have any lovable pictures of baby security systems.

MY BAD!

Here ya go. Quite a prolific little family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg security system.jpg (59.1 KB, 78 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm dead guilty of selectively quoting you
I took out a couple of words in the middle because I didnt have any lovable pictures of baby security systems.

MY BAD!
Just wanted the grieving Donzo to know I wasn't bad mouthing dogs, just saying that, for me, if the only reason I wanted a dog was to provide home security, I'd find some other way.........

Of course, I hadn't thought about the way you're doing it. Instead of a 129 lb German Shepherd, you get a cute little poodle pup. When the burglar "ohs and aaahs" the little pup and bends over to pet it, you crack him up the back of the head with a baseball bat. Hmmmm..... maybe not a bad strategy.

BTW, this idea of having animals around to protect the house came to mind when I read the concurrently running "trunk monkey" thread. How about a "house monkey?" You know, a big, horny stud monkey trained to get friendly with strangers that enter the house when you're not home........
Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I guess one of the reasons for this post is - we lost one of our 3 dogs yesterday, she was a volunteer(showed up 6 years ago as an old dog) and fit in with us and our other critters right away- Susie was as dumb as a box of rocks but she made up for it with her enthusiasm - I swear she would blink and be happy to see you again....
My deepest sympathies on your loss.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Home alarm system, agreed to it mostly for the tied in smoke detectors and RADON/whatever toxic fume detectors. Fort Knox style secure screen door on the front. Swapped out deadbolts on the doors. Windows and doors alarmed and motion detectors on the first floor.

Like others said, I'm not trying to outrun the bear, just outrun the neighbor.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You can also set it up to make a "bing" sound when you're home and someone opens one of the exterior doors. Thats awfully handy when you have a 2 year old that just became able to reach the doorknobs and a wife who forgets to lock them.
Another handy use of the "bing" sound is to use it through your kids' entire childhood so that they get conditioned to ignore it. Then, when they are teenagers trying to sneak in (or out!) late--"bing"--you can welcome them home or reel them back in.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moemg, samclem and Calgary girl thanks for the kind words.

Youbet, I agree that if you only have dogs for home protection - like a junk yard dog - it is better to find another way. It is not fair to the dog.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Of course, I hadn't thought about the way you're doing it. Instead of a 129 lb German Shepherd, you get a cute little poodle pup. When the burglar "ohs and aaahs" the little pup and bends over to pet it, you crack him up the back of the head with a baseball bat. Hmmmm..... maybe not a bad strategy.
Hmm, well heres what one of the cuddly little poodle pups turned into...maybe a little bit shy of 100lbs

And the other one, a paltry 75

And of course, the emergency backup dog...we're not sure what he is but i'm fairly sure theres no poodle involved and he's well north of 129lbs.

So as usual, my planning is vastly underrated...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
What is the output per day, in pounds?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #75

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...y/P8260017.jpg

Nice dog
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Oh its a bit. I do a lot of scooping. We go with the higher quality dog food with no fillers so theres a little less of both the input and the output. Still, we go through almost 60lbs of food in a month, so do the math

In case the emergency backup dog doesnt work, one of the cats also thinks its a dog. I saw her take off after a 90lb weimaraner that wandered into our yard and she chased it down the street. Only about 12lbs but I still dont think theres any poodle involved.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Nice dog
Yeah, thats Jake. He was the neighborhood semi-feral stray that started coming into my wifes yard to play with the other two dogs when there were no people around. Three years later he was more or less comfortable being around us and when we got married and she moved in with me I caught him unawares and threw him into the back of my truck. He then lived in our fenced yard for four years, and when we moved last year we managed to get him in the car again. He's been coaxed into the house on bad weather days and is okay with some belly rubbing now and then.

Loves Gabe, who literally rides him around the back yard.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
dogs, etc., are more trouble than they're worth.
Agree