8:00AM - 68°
8:30PM - 70°
10:00PM - 64°

Downstairs:

5:45AM - 70°
8:00AM - 69°
8:30PM - 70°
10:00PM - 65°

Our thermostat (Honeywell Lyric T5) tries to anticipate the temperature change, so it starts ramping up/down the temperature before the scheduled time.

If it's not to our liking for some reason, we just say "Hey Siri, change the temperature downstairs to 72°" or whatever.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're definitely on the low side in this group:

Heating season:
Two furnaces, one for the upper two floors, one for the lower level (guest bedrooms)
We keep the upper two floors at 67 during the day, 55 at night
The lower level is set at 55 unless guests are in town

Summer:
No A/C so whatever nature gives us is what we have.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For heating: 68 daytime, 66 at night with heated mattress pad . Our family room has a set of gas logs so in the evening, that room only is 70-71.

For most summer days, the A/C is off and windows open. This past summer 2018 was the most we ever used the A/C. When the house is over 76, we turn the A/C on.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

Our thermostat (Honeywell Lyric T5) tries to anticipate the temperature change, so it starts ramping up/down the temperature before the scheduled time.
I was looking at that Thermostat, and a few others, mostly to be able to set it down when I'm away. I have a programmable and can do it for up to 6 hours, or in vacation mode (resumes schedule on a date, but not time of day), but only if I remember. I like the geofencing idea some of them have.

The problem is, I have a heat pump, and live in the mountains. None of those smart thermostats I've found use the S1 and S2 wires from the outdoor temp sensor. Instead they use weather sources from the internet. Some, including Nest, use a zip code or nearest airport, which are both 25 miles away, 2000' lower, and over mountain--could easily be 10 degrees colder (on inversion days) or 15 degrees warmer, so my heat pump could be running when it's too cold, or not running when it is the right temp for it. ecobee uses closer weather stations, but even those aren't accurate for me, can easily be 5 degrees off.

There's an older Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 that was recommended to me, that uses S1/S2, but doesn't have geofencing, but I'd have to remember to set it back at home or from my phone. I'd really like to just leave with my phone and have it recognize I'm gone, then crank the heat back up as I'm pulling back into my garage. Any ideas?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Heat, 62 during the day, 60 at night. We’re comfortable at these temps, but will turn it up for guests. During a/c season: 76 during the day, 72 at night.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I adjust it as a balance of comfort and frugality. I don't care what other people set theirs to, that is not going to influence my decision. I wonder why anyone would care what settings others use?

But what that means for me is I dress accordingly - shorts and t-shirt in summer, long sleeves, sweater, socks and slippers in winter, so I'm generally comfortable with a setting that is more modest than if I didn't dress accordingly.

If I'm active in the house on some project, I can set the heat way lower than if I'm sitting at the computer.

We keep the windows open when we can. A/C is sometimes driven by humidity reduction more than temperature.

I adjust it if I'm leaving the house for a few hours, and the heat temp is set to go way, way down at night, as we find once we are under the covers, we aren't bothered by the cold. Thermostat is set to bring the temp back up just before we normally get up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpadave View Post
For those who use heat at home, what setting do you use? We have it at 69 during days and 67 at night.
That's like the tropics around here.

I try to delay even turning the heat on until Nov 1 every year ... wife was out of town this past week, so I was able to keep it off. Through the cold months, assuming we have no visitors, I keep the thermostat at 62 during the day and 57 at night. Now, that might seem insane, but the thermostats are towards the center of the house and the baseboard heating runs along the perimeter. So generally when you're in a room, it's somewhat warmer than what the thermostat is set at.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 AM   #28

Wow. Those of you sleeping in the 50’s, I’m impressed. That’s cold. Brrrr
Old 10-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We are having a bit of disagreement here - I'm skinny and getting thinner and my heartbeat is regulated down. The gal self-generates warmth like mad. In Oregon we have the heat set to come on around 9AM and go up to 69-70 - I wear long sleeved flannel shirts and the gal is in ounces of flimsy. Heater is turned off at bedtime and we sleep with the upstairs bedroom deck door open - me under three light blankets, her under one. In the morning it is normally 61-64 degrees downstairs.
Heat rises, so the downstairs stays pretty comfortable during hot days - we run a window AC a few days/year and an attic fan at night as necessary for the chimney effect.
In SoCal we set the AC at 77, sleep with the doors open, and find it miserable when the night only dips to 66 by 5AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We set the AC for ~72 in the summer months and 68 to 70 in the cooler months. (Seldom is really winter, IMO, in my part of Texas)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

71 day, 71 night during heating season. None of us like being cold.

I let it go up to 75/76 during the summer/cooling season, back down to 72 at night.

Our smart thermostat (ecobee3) can detect when nobody is home and let the temps ebb/flow during the day.

A blog I follow at times keeps theirs at 54 in the winter. That is crazy cold. I would be kicked out of the family by the 4 females if I tried to do that. :-)
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #32

Summer varies and can let it get to 77 or so before we turn on air to 72. Winter we're at 68 during the day but with hardwood floors it is dang cold. So I'll cheat to 70 at times. We're at 66 after 10 o'clock.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:01 AM   #33

67 winter, 73 summer.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
Administrator

When in Chicago we keep a very broad range of temperatures in the house, with a low of 72 to a high of 73. In Florida we're more a bit more adventurous, keeping the same low of 72 but going all the way up to 74.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

heating
68-69 when we're there and up
64-65 when we're out or sleeping

cooling
76-77 most times
79-80 when out of house

we have two separate and complete systems, and can make additional setback periods to save. for our two story with basement and high ceilings, 69 for heat and 77 for cooling are ideal settings. can go about 2-3 degrees in either direction, depending on the ambient temp.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Cooling - mostly 77 all the time - if we kept it lower, the bills would be off the charts. Most of our friends also keep it at 77. It is cool in the house.
Heating - around 69 but probably only applies to January for the most part.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpadave View Post
For those who use heat at home, what setting do you use? We have it at 69 during days and 67 at night.
Same here.

I keep night day delta small so it doesn't pump real hard in the AM. If it does, it's not comfortable if you're in the bedroom with the door shut.

69 is deceiving because if you shut a door to a room, it will get quite a bit warmer. The 69 is only in the 2 story kitchen, living, dining, loft and hallways. My office, where I hang out a lot, is 75 with the door shut.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #38

For heating, we are on the high end so our pet cockatiel stays a little comfortable. So our heat is at 76 all day and night. It's a little warm for us, but lower than that and the bird starts exhibiting signs of distress.

In the summer, we keep it at 78 during the day, 76 at night. The interesting thing to me is that I'm cold at 76 with refrigerated air running, but hot at 76 with the gas forced air heat??

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #39

70 during waking hours, 63 while we snore.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Winter - 70 during the day, 58 while sleeping
Summer - 78 during the day, windows open while sleeping