Join Early Retirement Today

Home Theatre System
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home Theatre System

I have a new 18 x 24 room TV at one end, two viewing seats at the other (about 10 ft away) looking for the surround sound. Room is pre-wired for two rear speakers. Would not like to go in the attic and install the third rear speaker. I have been looking at the packaged ORBs because DW wants small speakers. What would you recommenf.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Home Theatre System
Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #2

Probably X-series at av123.* * If you can sell her on a bit bigger speaker, then i'd go ascendacoustics.com and get the htm-200s for all the way around.

BTW, these are budget, audiophile speakers, not cheap ones.* *I'm a frugal guy, but i dont believe in cheap audio since a nice speaker set can last decades.* *I watch, on average, 2 movies a week on my DVD home theatre, 30" hdtv, and save money by not going to the theatre.* Most of my local TV i also pick up now in true Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

My home theatre setup is: 30" Samsung HDTV, $200 sony receiver, Samsung progressive-scan DVD player supporting DD 5.1/DTS, Ascend Acoustics speakers:* 340 center, 170s fronts, HTM-200s rear, and HSU VTF-2 Sub.* *BTW, that speaker set alone cost $1300, but it sounds like it cost $1300.* No buyers remorse at all, going on 2+ years.

I dont recommend the cubes.* They compromise the sound a lot.* *My dad has a set of cambridge soundworks cubes and gawd are they pathetic sounding compared to my Ascends.

Azanon

Old 04-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23
I have a new 18 x 24 room TV at one end, two viewing seats at the other (about 10 ft away) looking for the surround sound. Room is pre-wired for two rear speakers. Would not like to go in the attic and install the third rear speaker. I have been looking at the packaged ORBs because DW wants small speakers. What would you recommenf.
Rustic, you must be putting this together for your grandkids. I can't believe you have any high frequency hearing capability left after spending all those years around screaming turbine engines.

Just get yourself a good subwoofer and even if you can no longer fly by the seat of your pants, you can at least listen that way!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #4

Actually, the high end hearing is still quite good. I wore earplugs inside my helmet and to and from the flight line. It really saved my hearing. Doc said on the retirement physical there was little or no degradation. I have a cheap Sony all in one system that will go into the bedroom, and will get a bigger subwoofer in the new system. I want to know the new house is built well so I plan of vibrating it on a regular basis.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i looove hi-end audio equipment...been into it for 30 years...of course toned it down big time now that im in an apartment bldg..

tv is 46" toshiba dlp

sound system is the linn classik movie with 4-linn unik speakers,,linn sizmik subwoofer and linn trikan center channel......

sound is amazing for the size of the linn classik...only problem is the new version is 5,000.oo for the movie classik without the speakers.......
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #6

I am a home theater junkie..there I said it.*

I have left overs that would power a couple of houses.* 8) EBay it all off someday I guess.

HT is not as nice as C-T's set up but it works for me.

57 inch Pioneer Elite HD
NHT 3.9s for front left, and right biamped for stereo when I want it.
NHT center and side rears.
Boston powered sub.
2 Advet Maestros as full rears

Pioneer 42! amp running 7.1 sound to all speakers.
Marantz 200 w monoblocks for two front speakers for biamping
Pioneer Laser disk DVD combo (I was years ahead of my time* 8))
Pioneer 47! DVD with Firewire to amp.
Sony CD
Dishnetwork HD box
Technics (sp) tangental drive turntable....yes, I still listen to vinyl from time to time.

I have a sub-amp in another room as a satellite with another set of Advents.*
Add a wireless transmitter for music in my headphones anywhere in the house and you have my wife's worst nightmare.* Despite multiple stand alone programable controller remotes....it still takes several button pushes to get it all working from the right input to the right output.*

She has her own CD player in the kitchen and TV in the bedroom.

I am set for a while.........I hope.*
Old 04-27-2006, 03:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

dont feel bad about your turntable i still use a raga planar 3 .......my records still sound better than 99% of my cd's.......
Old 04-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I am a home theater junkie..there I said it.*
57 inch Pioneer Elite HD
(more gear more gear more gear)
We neighbors were showing off our latest home improvements to each other when we walked into their livingroom. My spouse uttered the "Holy cow!" equivalent when she saw their free-standing flat-screen TV up against the wall.

He thought she was looking at their new corner moldings. When he understood what we were looking at he said "What, this old thing? It's only 42 inches!".

She's been staring at our 32" CRT TV for two days since then. I don't even have a DVD player hooked up to it, let alone digital cable. Her "audio" is a pair of cheap headphones.

I wonder what's on her mind?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We neighbors were showing off our latest home improvements to each other when we walked into their livingroom.* My spouse uttered the "Holy cow!" equivalent when she saw their free-standing flat-screen TV up against the wall.

He thought she was looking at their new corner moldings.* When he understood what we were looking at he said "What, this old thing?* It's only 42 inches!".

She's been staring at our 32" CRT TV for two days since then.* I don't even have a DVD player hooked up to it, let alone digital cable.* Her "audio" is a pair of cheap headphones.*

Ask her. Maybe she thinks bigger is better.

Short story:

My boss has a very nice house and it came with a complete Home Theater in the basement. This is a room with three risers and special chairs; the whole shooting match. The screen is 127 inches of projected photons from a ceiling hung projector. Unfortunately, the thing is a dinosaur and is clearly out of adjustment. I offered to see what I could do with it but he said it looked OK to him. The picture is washed out and has noise lines in the projected image. The colors are way out of calibration and the image is fairly low resolution. Oh, and the sound is out of phase. It would drive my INTJ mind batty to live with that. Mine may be smaller but it sure makes me happy.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We neighbors were showing off our latest home improvements to each other when we walked into their livingroom.* My spouse uttered the "Holy cow!" equivalent when she saw their free-standing flat-screen TV up against the wall.

He thought she was looking at their new corner moldings.* When he understood what we were looking at he said "What, this old thing?* It's only 42 inches!".

She's been staring at our 32" CRT TV for two days since then.* I don't even have a DVD player hooked up to it, let alone digital cable.* Her "audio" is a pair of cheap headphones.*

New Lexus...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #11

Got the whole Pioneer Elite system, boob tube, receiver, dvd with some nice little AR speakers and powered sub-woofer. Friends are amazed at the separation and clarity of sound and music, not to mention the picture. Got approx. five grand in it and have had it for about two years now. Actually bought the HT Pioneer Elite components and speakers new off of E-Bay stores.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
Got the whole Pioneer Elite system, boob tube, receiver, dvd with some nice little AR speakers and powered sub-woofer.* Friends are amazed at the separation and clarity of sound and music, not to mention the picture.* Got approx. five grand in it and have had it for about two years now.* Actually bought the HT Pioneer Elite components and speakers new off of E-Bay stores.
Sounds like a nice system. If you only have $5k in it you got off easy. My TV was that much 5 years ago. I have upgraded many times over the past 35 years since I have been into this stuff. My first speakers were hand made from Allied speakers into a not so great wooden box I made from them. Over the years I have done a ton of research and listened to hundreds of components. What I want I cannot afford so compromise is required to get the best I can afford. C-T knows about this I am sure. Anybody that enjoys a tube amp has too.

I would hate to even add up what I have in my system but if I did it would be an ugly number. It has taken me years to get to this level and to pay for it all in one check would buy a nice car. One can sink a ton of $$ into this stuff. The problem is the advances in technology can render you primary electronic obsolete in a matter of years. DTS, DD-ES, THX, and other theater sound technologies are always improving. These are all software driven and we all know how that story goes.

I love my 7.1 surround system for movies and sports. I realy enjoy just stereo for most of my music listening and HD TV still amazes me. I don't have a lot of other hobbies but this is one I have alway enjoyed and will continue to fund as needed to make my happy.

We all have our toys in these are my most favorite and most used.

BTW....DW still cannot appreciate the difference between standard broadcast TV and HD. Some people are just blind I guess.