Join Early Retirement Today
Home Value Help?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Home Value Help?

Hi everyone:

I need to find the appraised value of a home that was gifted back in January, 2007 for 1 dollar. I also need to find 3 exact models of the first home and their appraised value during that same timeframe. (January, 2007)

Does anyone know of a website where I can research this?

I already tried Zillow with no success.

Space Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Here is what I would do:

Find houses that you think are comparables and see if any sold around the time you received this gift.

Often sales information is available at your county property tax agency (my county data is online).

Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
You should be able to look on the county Real Estate Tax record website and see what the house was taxed at for that year. I suspect (assuming you want a lower value) that this would work for an assessment. If you need a higher value for whatever reason, do the comparable thing as suggested by Brat.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
You might also try I find it a little more up-to-date than Zillow.

Finding the 3 exact models is a little odd to me, since so much of a home's value is in its location. I would expect radically different price points for a house on a 4-lane road vs. one on a quiet cul-de-sac, even if the same model and in the same neighborhood. However, if you're in the area, a walk around the neighborhood should give you an idea as to which homes are same model as the one you need; if you note the addresses down you can then look them up in the property tax database for your county.

Of course, remodels, improvements, etc. are also going to change the value of a home, and you usually can't see that from the outside.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What is the purpose of the value? Will the user of the value except the 'Tax Value'? If not, you best bet is to call a certified appraiser and ask them to do an appraisal. An appraisal is the Market Value of the property at a given time. You need to tell the appraiser you want the property appraised 'as of Jan. 2007'. This may cost you a few bucks more but it should not be a lot. If you don't like the price shop other appraisers.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote