Home Value Help?

Space Mountain

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everyone:

I need to find the appraised value of a home that was gifted back in January, 2007 for 1 dollar. I also need to find 3 exact models of the first home and their appraised value during that same timeframe. (January, 2007)

Does anyone know of a website where I can research this?

I already tried Zillow with no success.

Thanks.

Here is what I would do:

Find houses that you think are comparables and see if any sold around the time you received this gift.

Often sales information is available at your county property tax agency (my county data is online).

You should be able to look on the county Real Estate Tax record website and see what the house was taxed at for that year. I suspect (assuming you want a lower value) that this would work for an assessment. If you need a higher value for whatever reason, do the comparable thing as suggested by Brat.

You might also try Trulia.com. I find it a little more up-to-date than Zillow.

Finding the 3 exact models is a little odd to me, since so much of a home's value is in its location. I would expect radically different price points for a house on a 4-lane road vs. one on a quiet cul-de-sac, even if the same model and in the same neighborhood. However, if you're in the area, a walk around the neighborhood should give you an idea as to which homes are same model as the one you need; if you note the addresses down you can then look them up in the property tax database for your county.

Of course, remodels, improvements, etc. are also going to change the value of a home, and you usually can't see that from the outside.

What is the purpose of the value? Will the user of the value except the 'Tax Value'? If not, you best bet is to call a certified appraiser and ask them to do an appraisal. An appraisal is the Market Value of the property at a given time. You need to tell the appraiser you want the property appraised 'as of Jan. 2007'. This may cost you a few bucks more but it should not be a lot. If you don't like the price shop other appraisers.

Back
Top Bottom