Home WiFi glitches

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I try to embrace and keep up with tech, but my home wifi connection is baffling.

With our iPads and iPhones, the wifi connection freezes at least once a day. We have to go into iOS Settings, turn WiFi off and back on again to restore. Easy, but a nuisance.

Less often, but a couple times a month the connection to all devices slows to a crawl, not just iDevices but our Samsung Smart TV too. Yesterday I did a bandwidth speed test during a persistent slowdown, and it showed download and upload were above our contract Mbps :confused: But the connection was still horrible, searches took forever and TV video was coming in very low res. I unplug our router and our cable modem, and good service resumes. All firmware is up to date, and I've checked our assigned channel and we're not in conflict with neighbors.

And there are almost never issues with my PC hard wired connection, so presumably something in WiFi.

Maybe one day I'll figure it all out. For now, frequent resets are the norm.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had similar symptoms. Called internet company to complain. They ran check over the line from their office and told me my modem was out of date and needed replacement. I was renting modem at the time from them as part of my contract so they replaced with no extra charge. My problem was solved.

I don't know of way to check modem other than just call internet company and let them check. Good luck.

I'd suggest confirming that your router is located in a good spot in your home (generally, centrally located and up high).

Overall, it's not clear where the problem lies - modem, router, iDevices, or cable company. Try to do more troubleshooting to narrow it down by swapping out components along the chain and see when the problem appears/disappears. Do friends' Windows devices have the same problem on your network? Did the problem appear after you got that new router? Etc. It's a hassle and time consuming to do but it's really the best way to resolve these problems.

Too many variables. Modem out of date is common. If its a company/isp provided one, just have them give you a new one.. get a promotional deal too, as for your service at cheaper rate, and call right before promo stops.
Many times, peak usage hours slow you down...
Another issue is hardware outside home. All my coax connections were corroded, and xfinity replaced them..
My router is Xfinity supplied, but, I use a TPlink Archer C7 (85 bucks at amazon) and it provides a much greater signal throughout the house. You just plug it into your modem provided by cable/isp company. Then log in to it..
I have xfinity blast, 75Mbps, Xbox, Playstation, 4 phones, 3 laptops, and a bluray that all run on wifi for netflix etc. No issues.

We never have problem with WIFI until this year. Beginning of the year and we called COX and inquired about it. It turned out our NETGEAR needed some new software, we had to pay for the upgrade. And once we download the new updated software, we haven't had any problem since.

+1 on TPlink Archer C7; had same problem OP described wired connection ok but with slow wireless and drop outs, tried range extender and still had problems. Seems issue was the number of added devices (ipad, iphones, kindles, TVs, printer etc) on older wireless router couldn't be handled well. Changed router to new up to date model and problem solved and range extender eliminated.

+1 on TPlink Archer C7; had same problem OP described wired connection ok but with slow wireless and drop outs, tried range extender and still had problems. Seems issue was the number of added devices (ipad, iphones, kindles, TVs, printer etc) on older wireless router couldn't be handled well. Changed router to new up to date model and problem solved and range extender eliminated.
I could never get extenders to make any difference in home. The TP Link Archer has been great... And, Apple products are set up for AC, more than N for their gear, and the Archer is dual band AC and N.
My MIL was having issues with her internet Wifi. Went to her house, and her modem/router combo from Xfinity was tucked under her desk in a office room. No where near or in direct path of the systems needing wifi. I placed the router in front of the door, and all her wifi products worked much better. I will eventually move it when I get some cat5 cable over there.
But think of the router as an antenna sending a signal out. If it is obstructed, it cant easily send a signal to your gear. Kinda like when are near a cell phone tower its great, but go out in the country, and it might not work. The router needs to be powerful enough to supply the products its feeding with radio waves, and unobstructed.

Last edited:
Too many variables. Modem out of date is common. If its a company/isp provided one, just have them give you a new one.. get a promotional deal too, as for your service at cheaper rate, and call right before promo stops.
Many times, peak usage hours slow you down...
Another issue is hardware outside home. All my coax connections were corroded, and xfinity replaced them..
My router is Xfinity supplied, but, I use a TPlink Archer C7 (85 bucks at amazon) and it provides a much greater signal throughout the house. You just plug it into your modem provided by cable/isp company. Then log in to it..
I have xfinity blast, 75Mbps, Xbox, Playstation, 4 phones, 3 laptops, and a bluray that all run on wifi for netflix etc. No issues.

+1

My parents' internet/phone were intermittent, and it took Centurylink three months to finally track it down to a corroded connector, in the attic. They are on DSL, so the wires are the old analog phone lines they had for 50 years.

I was having problems for awhile. Turns out the coax cabling inside my house isn't very good. I had actually noticed that before when I used to use it for TV throughout the house, but forgot since I've bypassed most of that with HDMI. I moved the modem and router to the nearest point where the cabling comes into my house, which happens to be a good enough place for the wifi router. It's a whole lot more reliable now. So try moving your equipment around in case of bad wiring or a bad jack.

If wired connections to your router work OK then I would rule out the modem as being the problem. As was suggested I would look at trying a new router, you can get a decent one without spending a lot of money.

+1 on the wireless router being the issue. We have AT&T and their router barely worked. I now have a Netgear AC1750 (with 5GHZ) and that has made a world of difference. I would *guess* that you may have interference issues and switching your devices to a 5GHZ signal will alleviate much of that. One downfall to 5GHZ is that the range isn't as great but no issues inside our 2200'ish SF house.

Last edited:
If wired connections to your router work OK then I would rule out the modem as being the problem. As was suggested I would look at trying a new router, you can get a decent one without spending a lot of money.
What type of WiFi device do you have (model number)?

• Motorola SURFBoard SB6121 modem
  • Linksys/Cisco WRT160N V2 router (802.11n)
Happy to replace one or both IF I know it's going to fix the issue(s).

I neglected to mention in the OP the connection crawl speed impacts our Smart TV too (now edited above), so the second issue I mentioned doesn't appear to be iOS or Apple related.

Last edited:
I neglected to mention in the OP the connection crawl speed impacts our Smart TV too (now edited above), so the second issue I mentioned doesn't appear to be iOS or Apple related.

Certainly sounds like a router issue. I would highly suggest starting there...a decent one can be had for $100 or less and hey, if it doesn't work, send it back!

I didn't realize how CRAPPY my AT&T modem/router combo was until I upgraded the router...it was THAT much more of an improvement.

• Motorola SURFBoard SB6121 modem
  • Linksys/Cisco WRT160N V2 router (802.11n)
Happy to replace one or both IF I know it's going to fix the issue(s).

One test to clarify the situation: Since you say "there are almost never issues with my PC hard wired connection", when the WiFi connected devices internet freezes up does your PC still have a working internet connection?

If so, then this rules out the SB6121 as the problem. Any device can go bad, but SB6121 are solid cable modems with few problems.

If the SB6121 is fine then it points toward your WRT160N as the culprit.

As to which replacement WiFi router to buy, you might want to read this:

The Best Wi-Fi Router (for Most People) | The Wirecutter

These folks are pretty good at comparing devices and explaining why they like certain ones.

My bias is still for Apple Airports. I know Apple has said they aren't going to come out with new ones, but the existing ones have proven rock solid reliable. And they are still selling and supporting them. If your WiFi coverage area isn't large, I'd recommend the Airport Express. Otherwise the Airport Extreme. They are very easy to setup (trivial really) and are both reliable and very secure.

As I mentioned in another thread, ping is your friend. If you can run ping from your router, that would be best. Figure out the IP addresses for all your devices and then monitor the ping latencies from the router.

I'd also make note on how each device is connected: hard-wired, 2.4Ghz wifi or 5Ghz wifi.

For an external address, I use 8.8.8.8, which is a Google DNS server.

I have an issue where some of my ip security camera video and still photos generated at motion detection are pixelated. May be a bandwidth problem that may be resolved when I hardware the computer to the router.

One test to clarify the situation: Since you say "there are almost never issues with my PC hard wired connection", when the WiFi connected devices internet freezes up does your PC still have a working internet connection?

If so, then this rules out the SB6121 as the problem. Any device can go bad, but SB6121 are solid cable modems with few problems.

If the SB6121 is fine then it points toward your WRT160N as the culprit.

As to which replacement WiFi router to buy, you might want to read this:

The Best Wi-Fi Router (for Most People) | The Wirecutter

These folks are pretty good at comparing devices and explaining why they like certain ones.

My bias is still for Apple Airports. I know Apple has said they aren't going to come out with new ones, but the existing ones have proven rock solid reliable. And they are still selling and supporting them. If your WiFi coverage area isn't large, I'd recommend the Airport Express. Otherwise the Airport Extreme. They are very easy to setup (trivial really) and are both reliable and very secure.
Thanks, I'll stop by BB this evening to pick up a new router.

As I mentioned in another thread, ping is your friend. If you can run ping from your router, that would be best. Figure out the IP addresses for all your devices and then monitor the ping latencies from the router.

I'd also make note on how each device is connected: hard-wired, 2.4Ghz wifi or 5Ghz wifi.

For an external address, I use 8.8.8.8, which is a Google DNS server.

+1 I'm not very network savvy, but I found some info on this online, and figured out each of the addresses to ping (from the Terminal/Console), from the internal stages of the computer (almost instant response - sub millisecond IIRC), out to the router (maybe ~ o
ne millisecond?), and the router to the outside world (tens of milliseconds, depending on many factors).

With a chain, and anything in the chain can be the problem, it really helps to go one stage at a time.

Ahhh, here are my notes, the router address may be different for your set-up:

ping -c5 0 <<< to internal network card << 1 mS
ping -c5 192.168.1.1 <<<< ROUTER ~ 1 mS
ping -c5 8.8.8.8 <<<<< GOOGLE DNS ~ 26 mS

-ERD50

We had a problem when the router was located on the other side of the wall from the micro-wave. The microwave would interfere with the wifi signal. Moved the router about 5 feet, and the problem went away.

Relevant quote: "You know that metal plate in my head? I had to have it replaced, cause every time Catherine revved up the microwave I'd piddle my pants and forget who I was for a half hour or so."

Note if you can ping your ISP's dns servers (which ipconfig /all will show on windows, or perhaps their consumer facing site) then you are able to access the ISP's internal network. There is another command tracert that can tell you if the problem is up the net from your ISP the syntax is
tracert web site name.
It will list the various hops packets travel to get to the host.

Thanks, I'll stop by BB this evening to pick up a new router.

That's what I did and things are working today. I was having intermittent problems and, like you, I would hook up a computer/laptop directly (hard wired) to the modem and everything was fine. So I expected the router but since it was a high end Linksys that wasn't too old, I didn't want to believe it. Well, yesterday, all the wireless went out. No question the router was not sending a wireless signal.

Thankfully, the new router install was very easy. Just made sure to set up the router with my same (old) network name and password and everything hooked up and is running well.

Good luck.

I looked up the WRT model router mentioned earlier. Found many references to intermittent problems as described. Lots of fixes to try, according to Cisco and Linksys forums. You may get lucky with a fix, but maybe not. I recall from ancient router history having to update firmware, and adjust MTU.

If the router is more than a few years old, find something middle of the road, and it should be less than $100.

If time as available and you believe an old router can be restored, you learn a few things in the process.

I unplug our router and our cable modem, and good service resumes.

Hey, I think I found your problem! LOL

I went through similar frustrating issues in our apartment. For the first six months the signal dropped regularly, no internet, nothing. I experimented with everything. The main difference came from moving my modem to another room and pulling off all of the filters and connectors the TimeWarner guy had left in our closet connection box. Still had some issues, but not as many.

Recently I realized that it has been *months* since our signal dropped out multiple times in a day!

re speed tests - are you using your cable company's servers or a 3rd party? Also, if your speed is good but surfing is not, that would indicate a DNS issue. Changing DNS servers to maybe Google might help (or at least rule something out). This would also affect your PC, unless it has its own DNS settings. Many angles to look at :)

Back
Top Bottom