Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: the collective distaste for meth and how it's ruining the country. One can make the same argument about the key product in House of Cards. Some say it's ruining the country, too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, all three. Who says there's nothing good on TV anymore?

I've recently fallen in love with The Leftovers on HBO. OMG....
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Breaking Bad is an amazing series. The writing is terrific. I just started season 3 and it's hard to stop watching episodes.
Livefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Binge watched Breaking Bad. Will start on Homeland when I get back to Netflix, but right now I'm on Amazon and Sopranos. Tried House of Cards but didn't care for it. I know I'm in the minority, and I even like Spacey, but it just didn't hold my interest.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have not watched Homeland but Breaking Bad is probably the best show I have watched in at least 10 years. House of Cards is most excellent too (you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment).

Other great series of the recent past: Orange is the New Black, Fargo (scared of Billy Bob now), Luther (Alice is awesome), and going back a little more, Deadwood.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't seen the other two, but Breaking Bad was the best series I've ever seen. EVER.

When Game of Thrones ended it's season a year or so ago, I was trying to decide between Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. The votes were overwhelmingly in favor of Breaking Bad, so I bought the first couple seasons on Blu-ray and immediately got hooked.

Binge watched it until the next season started, and like with Game of Thrones, I HAD to be home to watch it when a new episode ran. I recorded it on DVR, too, just in case, but I made sure I was home on time when a new episode started.

Definitely give it a try.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #27

DW says just do Orange Is the New Black

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breaking Bad was solidly engaging throughout. In fact, the main problem for me is it makes it hard to put up,with the far inferior products broadcast. Homeland started out engaging and descended into nonsense. House of Cards was similar but took longer to get into the silly. The problem with these shows and others (Walking Dead) is that they can start out really well, but it seems the writers really cannot maintain the interest without resorting to ever more unbelievable plot lines with characters behaving in ways that mostly just keep the show going rather than behaving in a way consistent with the character or with any human behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have not watched Homeland. Breaking Bad was spectacular and House of Cards is very good, but BB for us was really in a league of its own. I never thought I'd like a show about a meth dealer but it was really well done.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #30

Breaking Bad is the only one of the 3 that I have seen. I binge-watched it all the way through, and had difficulty preventing myself from watching "just one more episode" in order to see what happened next. However, I can't say that I enjoyed the experience. In most series' that I enjoy, immoral or unethical behavior is usually counter-balanced by characters who rise above the depravity and give the viewer some sense of transcendence. Although there were a few quite likable characters in Breaking Bad, they weren't a strong enough influence to make up for the large degree of moral bankruptcy. Like one or two others who have said so in this thread, I found the series depressing. However, I did watch it through to the end, so perhaps that says something - about my inability to control myself, if nothing else

Go ahead and give Breaking Bad a shot. If you're like most people here, you'll love it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I have seen the all and like them all but Breaking Bad is the winner. Binge watch the whole series.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Breaking Bad is the Vanguard of TV shows these days, I think. Fans of it insist there could never be anything better out there.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #33

all three are top notch in my opinion, BB a cut above the others IMHO...

+1 for Orange Is The New Black

also, very funny underrated series on Netflix (I believe it was their first venture into original content) is Lilyhammer... definitely one of my favs. Scored 83% on Rotten Tomatos...here's link to plot on IMDB
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Never seen Homeland. House of Cards is excellent. Mine may be the dissenting view here, but I watched the first season of Breaking Bad and had the same reaction as I had after seeing all of The Sopranos: both shows are exceptionally well-written, well-acted and generally well-made. But at the end of the day I couldn't shake the feeling that I had just spent a lot of time with people I really didn't like.
And you didn't have that reaction after watching House of Cards?
Ok - that makes me laugh. They both have complex and sometimes evil characters at the protagonists. I'm not sure if Walt is any worse than Frank... I'm not sure if the transactional politics is any "better" than cooking meth. The attraction of both shows is that the characters are not black/white or stereotypical.... they have good sides and bad sides, they make choices that are horrible, and yet they still have a likeable side....
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Breaking Bad is the only one of the 3 that I have seen. I binge-watched it all the way through, and had difficulty preventing myself from watching "just one more episode" in order to see what happened next. However, I can't say that I enjoyed the experience. In most series' that I enjoy, immoral or unethical behavior is usually counter-balanced by characters who rise above the depravity and give the viewer some sense of transcendence. Although there were a few quite likable characters in Breaking Bad, they weren't a strong enough influence to make up for the large degree of moral bankruptcy. Like one or two others who have said so in this thread, I found the series depressing. However, I did watch it through to the end, so perhaps that says something - about my inability to control myself, if nothing else

Go ahead and give Breaking Bad a shot. If you're like most people here, you'll love it.
I'll echo this post 100%. I'm only through season 2, but find the show depressing. I don't really like anybody, so no balance between likable and hateable. And sometimes it seems like there are long filler scenes. The flash forward is a bit distracting to me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My theory is people like/binge watch Breaking Bad for the same reason people cause huge traffic jams rubbernecking at the scene of an accident. We know we shouldn't look but just can't help ourselves.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Breaking Bad,

Then HoC.

Then season 1&2 of Homeland. Season 3 is only marginally worth your time.

If you like BB, and haven't seen the Wire, work that one in.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Haven't watch even one episode of any of the aforementioned series.

I watched a couple of seasons of Sopranos way back when, but found myself wishing they would all get sent to prison, or whacked. Just can't support the "bad guys"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My theory is people like/binge watch Breaking Bad for the same reason people cause huge traffic jams rubbernecking at the scene of an accident. We know we shouldn't look but just can't help ourselves.
That was my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I watched a couple of seasons of Sopranos way back when, but found myself wishing they would all get sent to prison, or whacked. Just can't support the "bad guys"...
I enjoyed Sopranos more than I did Breaking Bad. I think one of the reasons was that with Tony and his cohorts, this was the life they were born into. Unlike Walt, they didn't know any better and to Tony's credit, he was seeing a shrink and aware at some level that things weren't right. There was a sweetness about his character and that, coupled with my belief that he was at least trying to improve himself, gave me hope for him.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...to Tony's credit, he was seeing a shrink...
Didn't hurt that it was Lorraine Bracco...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote