Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On BB, it had very very few likeable characters, but by the end, I did like Hank. I never thought I would, but he was great at the end.

As for it's depravity and the sometimes icky feeling I had after an episode of BB, I alternated watching that and Lark Rise to Candleford (Amazon Prime). That is sort of a British Little House on the Prairie. I highly recommend that, too. Downtown Abbey is another good one that is lighter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crummy weather here today, cold & rainy so I checked out DVDs from our library and (not proud of it as I don't watch that much TV anymore, but) watched 3 episodes of House of Cards and 4 episodes of Homeland today, both season 1. A little more interesting but not dramatically better than some of the better network shows IMO, just more R rated (yawn). Not sure if I'll look for more, but I may.

I'll have to get ahold of some Breaking Bad based on the feedback on this thread.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've seen both Breaking Bad and House of Cards. Not Homeland.

Breaking Bad is the best written and acted show I've seen. Absolutely loved it. House of Cards is very good, but if only one choice then....BB!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
As for it's depravity and the sometimes icky feeling I had after an episode of BB, I alternated watching that and Lark Rise to Candleford (Amazon Prime).
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm a fan of many British shows - Brideshead Revisited, Upstairs Downstairs, Downton Abbey, Inspector Morse, Life On Mars (the original British version) to name a few. Will keep this one on the shortlist.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Good thing you haven't seen either House of Cards or Homeland. That means you've got some seriously good future TV options!!!

I've also watched the British precursor to H of C (same name) and am currently into the Israeli version of Homeland (Prisoners of War). Interesting to compare disparate treatments. Sounds like I should put Breaking Bad on the watch list.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #46

I just watched the entire Upstairs Downstairs last year. It was wonderful. There are so many great British shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just watched the entire Upstairs Downstairs last year. It was wonderful. There are so many great British shows.
1971 or 2010 version?

I remember the 1971 version from my childhood and recently rewatched the first episode on Netflix. It was just as good as it was 43 years ago.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #48

I've seen all three and BB is far and away the best of the three. I'm a huge Spacey fan, and BB is still the best series of the three by far.

Go get you some BB!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #49

I've watched every episode to date of all 3 series. BB is definitely the best IMO. The other 2 are very good overall. Both shows can be a little slow moving, even boring, occasionally but it's worthwhile getting through those episodes to get to the really good episodes.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #50

I will echo the sentiment that I don't feel better after watching HoC, the only one of these I've seen.
I found it made me more cynical and skeptical of the "real" political process, as if I really needed that!
I don't know, maybe I'm just more susceptible to that sort of thing, as I don't watch much tv anyway.
DH loved it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
1971 or 2010 version?

I remember the 1971 version from my childhood and recently rewatched the first episode on Netflix. It was just as good as it was 43 years ago.

I was talking about the old one. It really was fabulous. I've watched the newer one, too, and liked it.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I will echo the sentiment that I don't feel better after watching HoC, the only one of these I've seen.
I found it made me more cynical and skeptical of the "real" political process, as if I really needed that!
I don't know, maybe I'm just more susceptible to that sort of thing, as I don't watch much tv anyway.
DH loved it.

Question: on House of Cards, is it particularly unflattering to either political party, or unflattering to both. My husband really gets into arguing about politics and I don't. This is why I've never suggested it. I wondered if it takes a particular viewpoint.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Question: on House of Cards, is it particularly unflattering to either political party, or unflattering to both. My husband really gets into arguing about politics and I don't. This is why I've never suggested it. I wondered if it takes a particular viewpoint.

Frank Underwood (Spacey's character) is a southern Democratic representative but, the series seems to paint all politicians with an equally unflattering brush.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #54

Finished 95 episodes of Midsomer Murders, and half way through the seven seasons of Inspector George Gently. Ready for the first episode of "The Good Wife" 6th season, tomorrow night.

Saving Breaking Bad for my old age.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #55

How soon we forget! Fargo the miniseries was great, IMO. I hear they are planning a season 2 in 2015. Regarding BB, I want to get the dvd of season 1 from the lib (if it ever is available) so I can avoid the aeons of commercials. Have been hooked by Sunday binge of BB on AMC on cable.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #56

Definitely all unflattering in HoC. Frank is supposed to be from a small town in my state (SC), which really doesn't need much more bad press!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #57

Thanks, it's good to know that House of Cards isn't one sided in making politicians look bad. I may suggest it then.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Definitely all unflattering in HoC. Frank is supposed to be from a small town in my state (SC), which really doesn't need much more bad press!
He's also a Citadel alum. Although the "Citadel" is never named in the show, it's thinly veiled.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #59

Homeland, House of Cards or Breaking Bad?

They call it the Sentinel or something like that. When they did a show where he went back for some soirée or another, it was shot at VMI and not the Citadel. Not surprising that the real school was not all that keen on having them film here. IIRC, though, some of the other scenes were shot in downtown Charleston.

We have a horrible reality series being shot in Charleston right now, that is quite mortifying enough, as it features our disgraced former state treasurer, Thomas Ravenel. Ugh.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have a horrible reality series being shot in Charleston right now, that is quite mortifying enough, as it features our disgraced former state treasurer, Thomas Ravenel. Ugh.
Reckless? DW watches to my dismay. I've watched some because of her. The story line couldn't be more contrived from what I've seen, but that seems to be the TV drama formula these days? Let's see how disgusting humans can be, sad...

Too bad, we enjoyed our visit to Charleston back in April!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote