Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #61

Just keep telling people we aren't like those clowns on Reckless! And glad y'all enjoyed your visit!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:12 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I love all 3. Homeland took a few episodes to get into. The other two were hits from the start.

I loved all three. Breaking Bad was my favorite, I think Bryan Cranston put on the best acting performance ever. But the sheer darkness of the show can be a bit disturbing, so I sure there are many who found it hard to watch.

I think Homeland was very well done, but honestly there are enough terrorist thrillers out there that it isn't he most original.

House of Cards, while not light is probably the most fun of the three.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched some of the BB marathon on cable AMC last night. It was good as usual, but I got "saturated" with the scrunginess, after 2 hours and stopped watching. Plus WAY too many commercials, as usual.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watched only bits and pieces of BB as the series was nearing its run. (Too many commercials, as others have mentioned. But that's TV today, compared to "when I was a kid" and there was only a 60-second commercial every 15 minutes or so of the program. But then, there were only about four TV channels we got then, and one or two might have a snowy picture. And even then maybe only "Love, American Style" would be the only "watchable" program on--and that might be insufferable.)

I did watch the series finale, however. That was great. Now I've got a bunch of BB DVDs on hold at two local library systems. I watched the final five episodes, then Season I became available, and I have just finished those episodes. Fantastic!

The Breaking Bad pilot was exceptional. After the first five minutes you were acquainted with most of the main characters. And it explained how Walter got sucked in more and more, despite good intentions (as if manufacturing meth can have good intentions), until there was now no turning back.

SPOILER ALERT!

I mean, near the end of that pilot episode he was facing the death penalty, for all he knew, although he had a reasonable self-defense argument that those two bad guys would have killed him first--so he used that noxious red gas on 'em. But any self-defense claim kinda went out the window with respect to Crazy 8. After that, well... Walter went deeper and deeper. I'm guessing from what little I know about how this series progresses. I am still waiting on the Season 2 DVDs from my library.

And, oh yeah. Bryan Cranston is simply amazing. I've re-watched a few of those Season 1 episodes and his performances are nuanced and perfect. He gradually becomes the Wolfman, huh?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Breaking Bad is the best. It's very well written and gets better with every season.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in season 3 of BB. It's really good but I also find it so dark that it's draining. Can't watch more than 2 episodes at a time.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
We are in season 3 of BB. It's really good but I also find it so dark that it's draining. Can't watch more than 2 episodes at a time.
If you think it's draining now, just you wait........

I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that things don't exactly get better
Old 09-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If you think it's draining now, just you wait........

I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that things don't exactly get better

What about the campfire scene where everybody holds hands and sings Kumbaya that was better...

Draining was exactly the word I was looking for, when I mentioned my caution. The wonderful thing about netflix and being retired is you can and I do binge watch good TV series. I always watched BB at most a day after it aired, and I am glad cause as frustrating as it was to wait a whole week for the next episode, more than 2 at once would have really hard.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #69

Oh, and showing that I don't actually have network TV and have never watched either, I mixed up the two Charleston shows completely in my earlier posts. So there's a reality show, Southern Charm, that has our disgraced politician T-Rav, and there's also some sort of cop/lawyer drama called Reckless, both about Charleston. As I understand it, both are not exactly the kind of stuff the Chamber of Commerce wants "out there". Sorry for my confusion and the tangent I carried this thread off to!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #70

I like House of Cards because it appeals directly to my political cynicism.

I haven't watched Breaking Bad, I guess because as someone stated earlier, I can only watch so many shows at one time that have characters I wouldn't want to spend time with in real life. Right now the Sopranos fills that slot.

Didn't really know about Homeland, may investigate it.

One series I have immensely enjoyed is Doc Martin. DW and I have VERY different viewing tastes, but we both enjoy watching this show. It has the right balance of comedy, drama, meanness, and redemption for us.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #71

Just finished watching the "ABQ" episode of Breaking Bad. That was an especially good one among many.

I just got Season 2, and Season 3, from my local library, after being"on hold" some two months. Already placed a reservation for Season 4.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I have all three via iTunes and I would recommend in order - Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Homeland.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #73

The webisodes, or minisodes, at the end of the last disc of Season 2 are hilarious. Such as "Wedding Day."
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #74

Purposely not started these series yet, waiting until i splurge on the 4k tv. Maybe spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #75

Today I just finished watching the final episode of Homeland, Season 3. That was a darn good three seasons of story-telling! (I avoided reading any spoilers on Wikipedia re: Season 4, and hear Season 5 starts in Sept.)

As I said earlier, I also very much enjoyed the entire run of BB.

I might have to give House of Cards another try. I watched the first few episodes (about 4 or 5), but couldn't quite "get into it."

Got them all from my local library system. What a bargain!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Can't say I've watched any of the named programs. However, I've been experimenting with both the Firestick and AppleTV, and a program called "The Unit" was available on Amazon. Basically binge-watched maybe 80 episodes over the past few weeks. Good mix of intrigue, blowing up stuff, and some soap opera-esque elements.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460690/

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote