Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
Interesting joke. But why does it work? Is getting hit on by drunk "straight" guys a not uncommon experience? Or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
as to getting hit on by drunk str8 guys, let's face it: drunk guys are horny guys and drink releases inhibitions.
With apologies to George Bernard Shaw, we're not debating our sexual preferences-- just about how little alcohol it takes to push the "boundaries".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
yes, perhaps it was too small a sample size. that can often be the problem.
The Hawaiian word is "mahu", and I can't ever remember reading or hearing anything pejorative among native Hawaiians about the subject. I think it's just viewed as genetics, not a lifestyle choice or a threat to reproduction, not a controversy. Any other locals here seen something different?

Many high schools here have gay/lesbian support groups. Straight students join to be with their friends or to participate in neat activities-- or maybe because they're hoping to "convert" someone of the opposite sex. Not something you would have seen being sponsored by a teacher or joined by students in 1970s Pittsburgh!

I'm surprised that this thread has gotten so far without invoking Seinfeld's Law-- "not that there's anything wrong with that!"
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Whenever you encounter the term "born again", treat the entity "certifiable nutter."
people believe what makes them comfortable. not for me to say. if anything maybe i tried to help him understand some of the conflicts in his thinking. because he's really just looking for a nice catholic girl who will give him a bj. but as compassionate and understanding as i was trying to be, at one point during a walk along the beautiful gulf beach he got a little upset and says to me "stop making me think." so i got him three beers instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I have to think there is a bigger difference between self-stimulation and being with another, regardless of the gender of the other. I mean, do most people really get excited by their own equipment? Think about trying to tickle oneself, for example.
understood. though i'm not sure that's a real good example since you might not be able to tickle yourself but you sure can get yourself hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The Hawaiian word is "mahu", and I can't ever remember reading or hearing anything pejorative among native Hawaiians about the subject. I think it's just viewed as genetics, not a lifestyle choice or a threat to reproduction, not a controversy.
that would not surprise me. i forget where so i can not say as to the authenticity of the work, but i read long ago that before machismo became the fashion of the day, native americans and probably other nature-based peoples considered gays to be among the shamans of the tribes. they were the betweens. the ones who could go from male to female in one body (apparently counter to my theory), symbolic of going from physical to spiritual or from death to life.

so it might only be in these so-called enlightened modern times that gays have been relegated to the post of waiter.
__________________

__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

The number of homosexuals in the USA population is estimated in the 2-3% range.

I think the PERCENTAGE of homosexuals will increase as the population increases. I remember a study of animals in which a forced over population was created. (I think they had a limited space size and then breed several generations in that space. The scientists monitored homosexual activity to determine the percentage of the population that was considered homosexual. I do not believe the experiment was solely to determine the effect of over population on sexuality but several trates.) Maybe this is a way nature attemps to slow down population growth when there is an over population situation. How does nature do it? I'm not a scientist. But I would guess that certain stress factors that register in the mother during times of over population might trigger a harmonal response that imprints the fetus with the tendency for homosexuality.
If any one knows about the study I'm refering to please post it.
Also, don't create an urban legend with my info - it is a fuzzy recollection of something I read many years ago.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Posts: 1,005
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

To call someone homophobic who makes a nasty remark on gay people is the nicest thing I could call that person.
I can at least relate so someone who is afraid of other people.
I cannot relate to someone who looks down on others.
So I prefer to believe that he/she does it out of fear.
__________________
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Maybe this is a way nature attemps to slow down population growth when there is an over population situation.
and i always thought my humanitarian inclination derived from being an aqueerian. either way, glad to know i could be of service.

though that study might just prove a point of availability in close quarters. how many beers did they feed those rats?
__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
The number of homosexuals in the USA population is estimated in the 2-3% range.

I think the PERCENTAGE of homosexuals will increase as the population increases. I remember a study of animals in which a forced over population was created. (I think they had a limited space size and then breed several generations in that space. The scientists monitored homosexual activity to determine the percentage of the population that was considered homosexual. I do not believe the experiment was solely to determine the effect of over population on sexuality but several trates.) Maybe this is a way nature attemps to slow down population growth when there is an over population situation. How does nature do it? I'm not a scientist. But I would guess that certain stress factors that register in the mother during times of over population might trigger a harmonal response that imprints the fetus with the tendency for homosexuality.
If any one knows about the study I'm refering to please post it.
Also, don't create an urban legend with my info - it is a fuzzy recollection of something I read many years ago.
Too lazy to look for the article now, but recently there was a study which indicated a link between homosexuality in males and the hormone/antibody levels in the mother's womb. It noted that the likelyhood for a male to be homosexual increased if he was not the first son born and increased progressively as it went to 2nd, 3rd, etc.

That would seem to fit with that notion of population control, but on a more micro level. Everybody knows you don't need very many breeding men to keep the population going.

- article/study didn't cover homosexual women at all as I recall.

But I'm still a little bit skeptical of a "master plan" on this front. I mean, the % of homosexuals in the population is so low as to not really present an effective brake on population growth IMHO. Sometimes stuff just happens.

My daughter has Down Syndrome and we belong to support groups etc. The parents there will go on about how our children are here to teach us this, to shine a light, etc. and while those are nice thoughts, and I love my daughter more than I could express, I'm fine with just saying, "stuff happens". People have said, "what's up with that 21st allele?" that ends up "messing up" so much more than other genes (Down Syndrome is also known as Trisomy 21 - instead of getting one from mom and one from dad, somehow you got two from one parent and end up with three - "tri" - 21st alleles). Maybe it was meant to so we'd have these little angels! But the truth is, all the genes are susceptible to this, some may be more than others, but they all can. The key is, with the 21st, the embryo does not stop developing due to the error - it's speculated the 21st carries a smaller payload of genetic instructions. With other Trisomy conditions ( Trisomy 18, 11 I think are two) the embryo just stops developing most of the time (occasionally babies will be born with this or others - I'm sketchy on the details here - but they usually don't survive long).

It's a long rambling way of saying that while I'm guilty as anyone of asking "why?" it's sometimes o.k. for the answer to be "just because".
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bright eyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,891
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
that would not surprise me. i forget where so i can not say as to the authenticity of the work, but i read long ago that before machismo became the fashion of the day, native americans and probably other nature-based peoples considered gays to be among the shamans of the tribes. they were the betweens. the ones who could go from male to female in one body (apparently counter to my theory), symbolic of going from physical to spiritual or from death to life.

so it might only be in these so-called enlightened modern times that gays have been relegated to the post of waiter.
yes, i have heard some indigenous cultures refer to it as "twin spirited"

something that has been around as long as human history seems silly we can't wrap our minds around it - or that we actually devolved!

i also think part of homophobia is because we have such a restricted understanding of sexuality - that we all don't allow or are taught to explore our sexual feelings and the wide variety of things that go with that, that people freak out - if you're gay or you are hitting on me, does that mean i'm gay?!

i believe in the spectrum - some are super on one end or the other, most of us are all over the rest of the spectrum. just cuz you didn't "always feel different" or know since you were young, doesn't mean you can't be sexually attracted to someone of your same sex and that also doesn't mean you are gay or aren't straight... i have friends who are tri - try anything!
__________________
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 927
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
It's a long rambling way of saying that while I'm guilty as anyone of asking "why?" it's sometimes o.k. for the answer to be "just because".
What a lovely thought, Laurence. Thanks for sharing it.
__________________
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Helen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,343
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

My daughter has Down Syndrome and we belong to support groups etc. The parents there will go on about how our children are here to teach us this, to shine a light, etc. and while those are nice thoughts, and I love my daughter more than I could express, I'm fine with just saying, "stuff happens".
People with Down Syndrome are the kindest people in the world. I have a feeling you are very blessed indeed.

If I had adopted a child, I think I would have chosen one with Down Syndrome. They live the word love.
__________________
Helen is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 987
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

Although I am str8, I've always felt that I would make an exception for Van Morrison, should the opportunity ever arise....

there....now that's off my chest
__________________
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Re: "Homophobia": The right term?

The problem is with language. As LG4NB said, many terms come to gain new meaning based on their usage.

For example, "That has a steep learning curve" has come to mean that something is hard to learn. But a learning curve plots percent of acquisition of a skill (y axis) vs. time (x axis), so the steeper it is, the faster the learning process.
__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long Term Care Options GLM FIRE and Money 47 05-27-2007 11:43 PM
Short Term vs. Intermd Term Bonds TromboneAl FIRE and Money 35 07-21-2006 08:58 AM
What does the term "ER" mean to U? rs0460a Other topics 36 06-10-2006 09:19 AM
Term vs. whole life? retire_asap Other topics 9 10-28-2004 08:05 PM
short term bond funds DFW_M5 FIRE and Money 4 09-30-2003 06:35 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.