Honda 2kW inverter-type portable generator

If you want a system with a battery and inverter then consider a DC generator. There are plans to build one using a lawn mower motor and an alternator.

Quote: "I think the salient point is that it is possible to couple an inverter generator with a battery operated inverter which would allow one to use a lot smaller generator, having the surge covered by the battery. A clever guy could design an interface box so the generator would not connect unless the inverter was energized."

:horse:

Now where were we.....:D

While I agree with NW that one doesn't want to kluge something together, A cool commercially produced extension of the Yamaha generator that uses its own battery for a boost, would be to extend the concept so you could park the generator next to your car and use a high current quick connect (like an Anderson connector) to hook to the car battery. Now instead of a 500 watt surge boost, you could have a 2000 watt boost. A tiny fuel efficient generator could run an RV AC unit. There seems to be a lot of new entries into the inverter generator market lately - maybe one of them could use this for a competitive advantage.

There is a site on yahoo groups under the name Honda eu2000 that has a wealth of information on these little jewels. I have heard allot of good things on the comparable yamahas also.

A cool commercially produced extension of the Yamaha generator that uses its own battery for a boost, would be to extend the concept so you could park the generator next to your car and use a high current quick connect (like an Anderson connector) to hook to the car battery. Now instead of a 500 watt surge boost, you could have a 2000 watt boost. A tiny fuel efficient generator could run an RV AC unit. There seems to be a lot of new entries into the inverter generator market lately - maybe one of them could use this for a competitive advantage.
+1. And a 13.5VDC connection from the genset to the vehicle battery that keeps it topped up between boosts. In addition to RVers, this would be a natural for home emergency backup power, just put the generator out by the car and run a cord inside. Both homes and RVs have several sources of high, short startup loads (well pumps, sump pumps, furnace fans, fridge, AC units, etc).
A setup like this could easily eliminate the need for a second linked generator ($$), and allow use of a smaller generator just to handle the long-term loads (less $$, less weight/trouble moving it, better fuel efficiency).
There's no reason it couldn't be marketed as an add-on box for existing generators, but it would probably be less expensive to integrate everything in the base unit.
Kickstarter project!

Last edited:
+1. And a 13.5VDC connection from the genset to the vehicle battery that keeps it topped up between boosts........
I think the Honda 1000 actually has 12 volt charging cable - should be easy to incorporate a charging circuit.

Back
Top Bottom