Join Early Retirement Today

Hooked up my digital tv convertor box yesterday....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hooked up my digital tv convertor box yesterday....

Ended up 8 bucks after the Feds rebate...works great since I am in the sticks and no plans for direct tv....around 100 miles from a major tv market and now get channels crystal clear without having to mess with antennae…between the MN and WI, I now get 7-8 different public tv stations that I am kinda surprised with…only problem is with the Fox channel that is coming in a bit scrambled from the twin cities......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
only problem is with the Fox channel that is coming in a bit scrambled from the twin cities......
Must be a liberal conspiracy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #3

lol...if I promise not to watch Fox News, maybe it will come in...I was wondering about all of the PBS stations, too, but alas only cooking shows and New Yankee Workshop the last time I checked...then again Norm is from a blue state...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #4

maddy,

How long did it take to receive your coupon/s? I requested ours mid Jan and have not received them yet. Response to my inquiry is "Approved awaiting to be mailed". :confused:
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

You are getting MORE channels now? Cool! I just ordered my cupon a couple days ago...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
lol...if I promise not to watch Fox News, maybe it will come in...I was wondering about all of the PBS stations, too, but alas only cooking shows and New Yankee Workshop the last time I checked...then again Norm is from a blue state...
Heh, I think its just because you cannot see the subliminal leftist propaganda embedded in all that PBS programmng. Its not a convertor box, its a mind-control device.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #7

Ordered mine the first chance I had when they announced the on-line service (Late Jan?). Got both of them the day before yesterday (3/11). Mine expire 5/31/08.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Could you guys expound on this converter box? What the heck is it? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #9

Yeah....I applied for the "coupon" shortly after it was available in Jan. and got a week or so ago...It is actually a card with a magnetic strip that you take to your local retailer...Walmart had a big stack of RCA converter boxes...

what are they? they convert the older tv set's signal to digital for the cheap bastards that havent bought a new tv recently...right now most stations are broadcasting in both but in early 2009 they will only broadcast in digital....

I still have the feeling that they will extend it...setting up this gizmo by most is going to be a challenge....but then again, I suspect a lot of people already get direct tv or cable and wont have to do anything...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Could you guys expound on this converter box? What the heck is it? Thanks.
ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)
Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Can I get a coupon on here? My over the air digital antenna doesn't work well on some channels..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Can I get a coupon on here? My over the air digital antenna doesn't work well on some channels..........
Here's a link to the govt site for coupon requests: Converter box coupon request

Unfortunately the coupons are for converter boxes only, not antennas.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a link to the govt site for coupon requests: Converter box coupon request

Unfortunately the coupons are for converter boxes only, not antennas.
My TV already recceives 720 DPI digital channels, so will the box help me or not??

Old 03-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #14

The box converts new over-the-air digital signals to your old analog TV set. If you are already getting digital signals via sat, cable, or through a set with a built-in digital tuner, you don't need one of these converter boxes. Won't do you any good.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The box converts new over-the-air digital signals to your old analog TV set. If you are already getting digital signals via sat, cable, or through a set with a built-in digital tuner, you don't need one of these converter boxes. Won't do you any good.
Then I need a better antenna........

Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Interesting. I have DirecTV but we are in one of those areas where the local channels won't allow DirecTV to use their stations and we can't get out of town affiliates either. Long story. Thus, we have to use an antenna for locals. Really annoying.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Then I need a better antenna........
I have a feeling that some of the digital stations are not sending out the strongest signal maybe until the switchover is final and more people are watching....I can get my fox station in analog quite well while the digital one wont come in....all the other digital stations are clear being over 100 miles away...I also didnt need a digital antenna...My current outdoor one seems to be fine...
Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #18

If one has Cable AND multiple TV's - i.e., some HD and some older analog don't/won't you still need the converter box for the older analog tv's?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
If one has Cable AND multiple TV's - i.e., some HD and some older analog don't/won't you still need the converter box for the older analog tv's?
I'm in your situation, only with sat instead of cable. As I understand it, any analog TV hooked up to cable or sat will not need a converter box provided all stations are received via the cable or sat. Analog TVs getting analog signals directly from an antenna will need a box since the analog signals are going away next Feb.

In the case of GatorBuzz above who is getting both types of signals, I'm not sure how it will work. I'd suggest checking your cable or sat provider's website. For example, here is what DirecTV says about the digital transition: DIRECTV: Digital Transition. Looks like if you are one of their customers getting local channels over the air you may need to buy either a new DIRECTV receiver or a converter box...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm in your situation, only with sat instead of cable. As I understand it, any analog TV hooked up to cable or sat will not need a converter box provided all stations are received via the cable or sat. Analog TVs getting analog signals directly from an antenna will need a box since the analog signals are going away next Feb.

In the case of GatorBuzz above who is getting both types of signals, I'm not sure how it will work. I'd suggest checking your cable or sat provider's website. For example, here is what DirecTV says about the digital transition: DIRECTV: Digital Transition. Looks like if you are one of their customers getting local channels over the air you may need to buy either a new DIRECTV receiver or a converter box...
Thanks, all my TV's are on cable and the HD ones can now pick up some HD digital channels (although I do not pay for digital at this time). Strangely of the three TV's that do pick up digital channels they each pickup different ones off of the same wire. Strange.