Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Love those ads that say they'll save you $400 a year to what you're now paying. If my insurance is $300/yr, does that mean they'll send me 100 bucks?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I switched auto insurance when I got married... my wife is from another country and did not have a local drivers license (she did have an international drivers license, but I guess that is not good enough)... the old company was going to increase premiums from about $700 every 6 months to about $3,500

I was going to go with AAA, but when I was about to get the policy, the lady said 'your wife does not have a local drivers license'... I said 'I have been telling you this all along'.... they then wanted to more than triple the rate....
Just curious, why didn't your wife just go and get a US drivers license? Should have been easy if she already had a license from another country. When I first came to the USA to go to grad school in early 90's, one of the things I did during my first week in the country was to get a local drivers license. I did need a SS# (school where I was going to required that anyway from foreign students), and a proof of home address (power company deposit receipt). All I needed to do was take written test and eye exam, and an hour later I had a US drivers license in my hand. I realize that the process is probably more complicated now after 9/11, but does it really take much longer now?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Several of you have mentioned about dropping the comprehensive and collision coverages to lower payments on older cars. What happens to your rental car coverage in that case? Some years back our most valuable car was valued less than 10k, but it still made sense to pay for C&C as we rented cars for some 15 - 20 days every year, and avoiding rental car insurance was worth $40 or so per day.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe the ads say $xxx on average. Some clients lose, some win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Love those ads that say they'll save you $400 a year to what you're now paying. If my insurance is $300/yr, does that mean they'll send me 100 bucks?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac
Several of you have mentioned about dropping the comprehensive and collision coverages to lower payments on older cars. What happens to your rental car coverage in that case? Some years back our most valuable car was valued less than 10k, but it still made sense to pay for C&C as we rented cars for some 15 - 20 days every year, and avoiding rental car insurance was worth $40 or so per day.
A lot of credit cards will cover you if you waive the purchase of daily insurance through the company and rent the car with that credit card. I would make sure you read details of coverage though as some vary.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
the rule of thumb is when the cost of collision and comp is 10% or greater than the value of your vehicle (for example, your car is worth $6,000 and your collision and comp premium is $600 or more per year). But for some that may be less than 10% -
+1

I check low blue book value of our car and when it drops below $10K, I feel that I can afford to replace it, so I drop the collision.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
...I think WSJ.com started of at $79 a year and quickly raised it to $99. However, they automatically jack up the price for existing subscribers which pisses me off...
I think the following TV ad series by Ally Bank is clever, as they address the inequality sensed by customers. I have no business with this bank to know what their business practice is truly like, however.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
A while back you had only two choices:
1. Go naked on your rental car, or
2. Buy the rental company's expensive CDW.

Today you can get rental car coverage automatically through many credit card companies. You rent the car on their card, and if damage occurs then you file the claim through the card company. But there's lots of fine print.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainiac View Post
Just curious, why didn't your wife just go and get a US drivers license? Should have been easy if she already had a license from another country. When I first came to the USA to go to grad school in early 90's, one of the things I did during my first week in the country was to get a local drivers license. I did need a SS# (school where I was going to required that anyway from foreign students), and a proof of home address (power company deposit receipt). All I needed to do was take written test and eye exam, and an hour later I had a US drivers license in my hand. I realize that the process is probably more complicated now after 9/11, but does it really take much longer now?

Because of the local laws etc. that she needed to learn... and English is her second language and she did not feel she would pass the written test...

She did get one within the first 6 months of being here.... but charging SO much more was a rip off.... either she was a risk or she was not... changing from an international license to a local license should not change her risk that much...
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It appears from other posts here that it's not just my insurance provider so it seems wise to check regardless. But I am (was?) with Liberty Mutual.
Thanks, I wanted to see if it was Amica. A coworker told me about Amica before we both retired. She loved the company and I checked it out. Naturally I saved a good chunk of money as a new customer but each year my premiums drift up. I have home with earthquake, auto and an umbrella policy.

So I copied your post Midpack and emailed her and asked her if she did competive checks. Here's her reply below. BTW, Amica is a mutal company so it is owned by the insureds. I opted for the dividend policies, they cost more but you get a dividend each year and it brings the premiums down a fair amount, more than if I went with the non dividend polices. Very customer focused and friendly, they send me a birthday card each year!

I check about every 3 years, just to make sure my rates are OK. I know that when checking with other companies you almost always get a lower amount and then they raise prices either the 2/3 year - usually much higher.
So far AMICA has been within range for me.

As another point of interest, my brother and his family were hit hard with the Oct. storm - over $9,000 worth of damage. When they called AMICA they told them 3 oak trees were resting on the house and they had a quote from a tree company. AMICA talked to the company and had them remove the trees immediately and he was paid - not part of the $9,000 figure. The adjuster came out about 8-10 days after the storm, submitted the claim to the company and they had the check deposited into their account in a day. The adjuster is keeping the account open as he thinks some damage may have been cause to a chimney and they have until spring to confirm if there is damage.

All of their neighbors were still waiting for the insurance companies to settle into mid December and one neighbor is still arguing with his insurance company today. I also have an aunt who is covered by The Hartford through ARRP. As of Thanksgiving they still hadn't settled and that is a sore subject. As I told her, ARRP dictates the terms of the policy that The Hartford writes - boy are they getting a blackeye thanks to AARP).

So as long as AMICA is within a range of the other companies I will continue to stay with them. (They always have been and now I know their reputation is earned - when there is a problem they pay quickly.) That's real important to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I recently got quotes from a couple other companies through agents and in both cases the premiums were similar to, but a little higher than my current coverage.

However, if I get an online quote through GEICO or Progressive, they are both significantly (30%+) lower than my current coverage. While DD has GEICO and had an accident and they were great in settling the claim, I'm still hesitant to not have an agent who will help facilitate if we do have a claim.

The previous post and the story on the AARP/Hartford program is part of the reason that I am hesitating.

Any thoughts? Any experience dealing directly with the insurer, particularly GEICO or Progressive?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I recently got quotes from a couple other companies through agents and in both cases the premiums were similar to, but a little higher than my current coverage.

However, if I get an online quote through GEICO or Progressive, they are both significantly (30%+) lower than my current coverage. While DD has GEICO and had an accident and they were great in settling the claim, I'm still hesitant to not have an agent who will help facilitate if we do have a claim.

The previous post and the story on the AARP/Hartford program is part of the reason that I am hesitating.

Any thoughts? Any experience dealing directly with the insurer, particularly GEICO or Progressive?
I have Progressive and was hit by someone who also had Progressive.. at first I was a bit concerned as they wanted me to come to one of their centers to get an estimate... I did so and the guy was ready to give me a check. I said 'wait a minute, I am not sure what it will cost to get it fixed right'... he said 'we can give you a check and keep it open or wait for you to get it fixed and settle'....

I went to my place to get the car fixed and they gave me a quote LOWER than the Progressive quote... I kept the extra... quick and easy...

As for AARP, my mom has them and has been in two accidents that were her fault... both were handled quickly and with little fuss...

Now, both examples are auto, so I do not know how it would be for real estate....
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I had a claim filed with GEICO. I dealt with a local agent and it was relatively smooth and payments were made very quickly.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Part 2

I should have posted this originally, just a picture of what they did to us how oblivious we were. Same cars, same house and almost the same coverage throughout the period.

Drastic savings this year, and never, never again...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Picture2.gif (14.9 KB, 8 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote