Join Early Retirement Today

Horrible Awful Terrible World Chocolate Shortage
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

This just ruined my whole day, and DW cringed when she heard. A world chocolate shortage is looming. This is dark news indeed. Some things are bearable with all the things going wrong in the world today, but this is just awful.

The world’s biggest chocolate-maker says we’re running out of chocolate - The Washington Post

Quote:
There's no easy way to say this: You're eating too much chocolate, all of you. And it's getting so out of hand that the world could be headed towards a potentially disastrous (if you love chocolate) scenario if it doesn't stop.

Those are, roughly speaking, the words of two huge chocolate makers, Mars, Inc. and Barry Callebaut. And there's some data to back them up.

Chocolate deficits, whereby farmers produce less cocoa than the world eats, are becoming the norm.
Global Chocolate Shortage Possible as World's Largest Manufacturer Voices Concern - Finance Post

Quote:
In 2013, the world ate about 70,000 metric tons more cocoa than it produced, a deficit that may grow to 1 million metric tons by 2020, according to Mars, Inc. and Swiss-based chocolate maker Barry Callebaut.
Dark days ahead as chocolate shortage could grip world by 2020 | NJ.com

Quote:
Chocolate lovers beware. By the end of the decade, there could be a worldwide shortage of your favorite sweet, and its price might be much higher when you can find it. Two huge chocolate makers with a New Jersey presence – Mars, Inc., headquartered in Hackettstown, and Swiss company Barry Callebaut, with a research facility in Pennsauken – are warning chocoholics worldwide, as they take steps to try and meet skyrocketing demands.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Much of the world's supply of chocolate comes from West Africa. The supply is prone to disruption from time to time with event in that part of the world.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That news is truly bittersweet, but the media will milk it for all it is worth.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This will lead to a decline in the world's population growth! We all know chocolate helps women get "in the mood."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That news is truly bittersweet, but the media will milk it for all it is worth.
+1

Excellent comment.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
This will lead to a decline in the world's population growth! We all know chocolate helps women get "in the mood."

I thought the quote was "Candy's dandy but liquor's quicker."
Old 11-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #7

Maybe good news for some. When I lived in Brazil, I knew a guy who owned a cacao plantation. Latin American production is small compared to Africa, but still significant.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Administrator

Don't fret. I think the future will be dark, but sweet, with an exotic Latin flavor, and after eating some everyone will want to dance Samba.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #9

Shoddy journalism here.

Quote:
Chocolate deficits, whereby farmers produce less cocoa than the world eats, are becoming the norm. ... The problem is, for one, a supply issue
Ok. Not enough cocoa produced. So prices rise right?

Quote:
.. and many farmers have shifted to more profitable crops, like corn, as a result ..
So there is a shortage, prices rise, but still it is not profitable? Sounds more like someone somewhere further in the food chain is exploiting farmers.

Quote:
Last year, the world ate roughly 70,000 metric tons more cocoa than it produced. By 2020, the two chocolate-makers warn that that number could swell to 1 million metric tons, a more than 14-fold increase
Erm, pretty much by definition we cannot physically eat what we did not produce in the first place (unlike printing money). Or are we now eating into our massive strategic stockpiles of cocoa?

Eesj.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my Godiva I hope the Boss-co will send The Three Musketeers in to solve this sticky problem so we can soon Nestle in and toast the creme de la creme de la cocoa again.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Administrator

The Three M's ran off with the Swiss Miss and after Nestling, made a little Crunch bar. They left behind her pet Kit-kat, Mars company found her, shot her to the Milky Way.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Mmmm&m, just a thin mint there. Although we will miss Hershey should be back in this Necco the woods for Payday and her $100,000 bar.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Administrator

I heard Miss Hershey gave great kisses ...

Mr Goodbar made Mounds on PayDay, he was no Butterfingers. Not a Krackel from him, although there were some Snickers from Baby Ruth, she was always in a Twixt , especially when she was in her cups with Reese over at Willy Wonka’s bar.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #14

I knew it, just another ploy from evil capitalists to raise prices for the ignorant consumers.
Attached Images
File Type: png cocoa.png (9.0 KB, 8 views)
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #15

we might have to go Interstellar to find new sources.

Here's a great view of The Milky Way from the surface of Mars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VxtLs8C.jpg (85.9 KB, 8 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I heard Miss Hershey gave great kisses ...

Mr Goodbar made Mounds on PayDay, he was no Butterfingers. Not a Krackel from him, although there were some Snickers from Baby Ruth, she was always in a Twixt , especially when she was in her cups with Reese over at Willy Wonka’s bar.

Love them lines, keep them coming
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

A chocolate shortage by 2020? Oh Dear! And this is coming on the heals of the long predicted oil shortage that is forcing gasoline prices up and up and up these days. What a disaster.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #18

Time to dip into capital.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like an opportunity for generic chocolate to come into the marketplace. I'll get My People working on it Monday.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #20

Time to up that SWR to keep up with the inflation that is sure to come for chocolate prices. I doubt that paltry SS COL for 2015 will cover it.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote