Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Horrifying
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are a LOT of chemical plants in southern LA because of the proximity to the oil and gas infrastructure (raw materials). I'm surprised there have not been more problems. I can't imagine the loss of life if, say, a tank of cumene exploded with the wind blowing toward NO. I sure hope that the owners of those plants did a good job of shutting them down and securing them. Thus far, this appears to be the case.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

http://tinyurl.com/74573

An exasperated-sounding Mayor C. Ray Nagin did not hold back his anger in an interview with a New Orleans radio station.

"I keep hearing that this is coming, that is coming," he said in reference to federal aid. "And my answer to that today is b.s. - where is the beef?"

"Let's figure out the biggest crisis in the history of our country," he added. After Sept. 11, he said, the president was given "unprecedented powers" to send aid to New York. The same response should be applied in this case, too, he said.

Aid was being promised, too, from overseas. Australia said it was giving $7.6 million to the American Red Cross and sending a team of 20 disaster experts to the United States. Financial aid was also scheduled to come from Japan, Sri Lanka and a handful of other countries.

I am glad these people will be getting this aid but why are we getting aid from Sri Lanka when almost nothing has come from our govt.

I am too angry for words.

EDIT: Reduced length of URL

Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Amid all the pain, suffering and turmoil of this terrible disaster, I see the possibility of something positive happening. And I'm not talking about the thousands and thousands of military personnel, volunteers and good samaritans who are doing everything they can to help. I'm talking about political change.

I'm an admitted optimist and a certified, card carrying centrist. I've stated on more that one occasion that the political pendulum has swung too far to the right and can be expected to begin moving the other direction. The scenes of desperation and destruction we are seeing, primarily impacting black, poor, vulnerable residents of NO, will certainly have a huge impact on citizens all over the US. We will want to "do something" to insure this sort of thing can never happen again in the most powerful nation in the world. This disaster may very well mark the beginning of the decline of the ultra-conservative right.

As the pendulum starts moving toward the left again, it would be wonderful if we could figure out a way to stop it somewhere in mid-swing, before it travels too far the other direction. But I suppose we will have to just try to enjoy the trip, since it is almost inevitable we will end up going too far.

After all, I am only optimistic, not delusional.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
I really don't know what the numbers are at this point, but let's go with the estimate of 250,000 people who remained in the city.* *I think we've deployed about 150,000 troups in Iraq.* *If we pulled them all back here, and they each saved two people, NOLA would be in good shape.* *Can you imagine redploying the entire armed forces in a 4-day period?* * This disaster is simply too big.* *In the end, we will hear thousands of hellish stories.
Are you implying that our entire armed forces are in Iraq? What damn fool would not keep some troops at home?* What about this so-called "homeland security" department? What if there was a terrorist attack on US soil? Are we ****-out-of-luck because all the troops are in Iraq? The administration ****ed-up BIG TIME on this one! THERE IS NO REASON WHY AFTER FOUR DAYS THIS SITUATION SHOULDN'T BE UNDER CONTROL!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:26 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Plus, maybe someone will ge lucky and shoot down the right chopper this time...

I hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. Care to elaborate?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree things should be better but can we chill out on the political rants? *Seems like people that never post are coming out of the woodwork just to rant and rave on political matters. *It has been poor leadership at every level not just the current admin in DC - dem mayor of NOLA, dem gov of LA, rep Pres Bush. *
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #47

I am not going to comment on the politics of this situation. *I will say that unless you are need deep in the sh*t you are not in a position to understand the dynamics of a massive rescue/relief effort. *My time spent in various organizations doing just that has taught me that. *

It is easy for one, two or ten people to get into these areas since they are not bound by roads as truck area. *TV crews etc. can move about on foot on in boats. *Choppers have no place to land due to entanglements, water and debris. *Large boats do not have enough draft to get through the tight areas and there are no real inter-water ways to proved easy access without having to cross land at some point. *Bridges are out or are impassable, people are shooting at rescue vehicles (been there a time or two myself) and staging areas have to be in areas that are high, dry, assessable and close to transportation centers. *That puts them many many miles away. *NOLA is not the only city hit either. *Mississippi got hammered and some towns are just plain gone. *

It takes time to deploy and doing so with out adequate space, planning and logistics will do nothing but make the situation a cluster f**k. *

Go ahead an bitch about Bush or who ever you want to and rant about not doing anything but unless you are at ground zero don't pretent to understand what it takes to get aid in there with some armed people ready to kill you for your vehicle. *

Yes the situtation is horrible. *Mother nature has a way to taking back what is hers. *NO and the Gulf Coast is at (or below) sea level and is in a very shallow coastal area. *When you build a city dependent upon levees and pumps to keep you dry in a area that has a long history of hurricanes these things happpen. *

Same applies to blizzards up north, floods along the major rivers, tornados in the mid west, or earthquakes out west. *Living in these areas, especially if you are poor or disabled, is a very high risk way of life. *I am truly sorry for the loss of life, property and livelihood of these people. *This will not be the last we see of these kinds of events. *No matter how well you plan there will always be major logistics issues with helping people in these areas; the bigger the mess the harder it is to get in to help people.

I am not trying to start a flame war here; just give a "personal" perspective from some one who used to go in harms way.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbykur
I hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. Care to elaborate?
I'd be hard pressed to shed a tear if Marine One sucked a couple of shotgun blasts into its engine intakes. Clear enough?

- Will Rogers
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #49

Having seen, close up, the ground level chaos in another recent cataclysmic event, I have nothing but empathy for those who are trying to create order out of chaos. *The well nigh complete lack of communication makes the task almost impossible. *Even obtaining fuel for the relief vehicles must be an ordeal, with no electricity to operate the gas pumps.*

That said, there is absolutely no reason why the military was not present in force within a day or two of the hurricane. *That is what they do, project force in primitive areas with no infrastructure. *President Bush's smirky upbeat speech just p*ssed me off. *He should have stayed on vacation, and let one of the more competent cabinet secretaries direct he federal response. *

My heart goes out to the former residents of the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Brewer, I find it interesting that nut pie reverend Pat Robertson created an international backlash when he called for the "taking out" of a South American leader, something that is reprehensible but not really illegal.* Yet you are obviously posting to this board your preference for the "taking out" of the President of the US, something clearly illegal, as well as morally wrong.* Are you and Pat big buddies or just the same type of pie person?

REW
I think you misunderstand me. Robertson suggested that the US gummint assasinate the democratically elected head of peaceful government. I suggested that if a jonesing crack addict shot down the pResident's helicopter I wouldn't be all that torn up. Big difference.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Brewer, lets hope the Secret Service, well known for their lack of a sense of humor, understands that distinction if one of them happens to be among the several thousand people who read this board.

Everyone has a right to their opinion and I understand the source of your frustration. But with all the pain and suffering going on right now, it just doesn't seem right to be hoping for more, regardless of who the victim might be.

Peace.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

No doubt the secret service and/or FBI already has a file on me. Screw em.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #53

Why weren't those military ships following the storm into the gulf toward N.O. instead of waiting to get under way for several days after the storm and then taking several days to sail there?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Why weren't those military ships following the storm into the gulf toward N.O. instead of waiting to get under way for several days after the storm and then taking several days to sail there?
I think it would take a few days for them to get there anyway. Why there was a delay in getting them going, I don't know.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Lt. Gen. Steven Blum of the National Guard said 7,000 National Guardsmen arriving in Louisiana on Friday would be dedicated to restoring order in New Orleans. He said half of them had just returned from assignments overseas and are "highly proficient in the use of lethal force." He pledged to "put down" the violence "in a quick and efficient manner."
yes, people are scared, hungry, thirsty, dirty, and see dead bodies floating in the water so if they bitch, we will blow their heads off.

Maybe this is why they have had so much trouble in Iraq. Instead of concentrating on getting people food, water, and the like, they would rather point guns at folks and tell them to not loot (to actually get supplies). If I was down there, I would do what I needed to survive.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #56

Mayor of New Orleans:

“They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn — excuse my French everybody in America, but I am pissed,” Nagin said.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester

Is there anybody here who lives in a risk-free locale?* *I've got a fault line a mile from me, an active volcano 50 miles from me, and my house sits 100 ft back from a cliff that is slowly sloughing-off into the ocean.* *I can empathize with these risk-takers.
I consider my locale to be pretty risk free. *Calgary is known to get some snow in the winter but that's about it. *No earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, etc. *We did have a tornado about 5 years ago that wiped out a campground 1.5 hours away and killed 20 people I believe. * I will never complain about a little snow ever again...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'd be hard pressed to shed a tear if Marine One sucked a couple of shotgun blasts into its engine intakes.* Clear enough?
So you're sayin that you would rather have Cheney as president?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a southern state...my husband and I worked last night in a refugee shelter--and we're going back tonight and tomorrow, etc. etc. *

Rather than criticize the current regime (there will be time for all of that later), the best thing to do now is to donate your time, your money or your prayers. *

I really did think though that there would be more organization in a city that is supposed to expect this sort of thing--the whole shelter affair is an exercise in "winging it." *It was sobering to say the least.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
So you're sayin that you would rather have Cheney as president?
Isn't he already?