Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Horrifying
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH's company matches our donation 2 to 1, can I get 3 tickets, this thing is infuriating me!

I slept in this morning and started feeling guilty about just having a bed and security. Then I started thinking about UncleMick and worrying and all those people. Even before this I could not stand to look at W's smarmy face, but now I'm positively sick about it. I know it is not JUST him, but he is the face of it to me.

I have lots of family in MS, they are all ok for now. DOG, my grandmother is in an independent living facility there in Meridian. Any info on electricity for the masses? My parents are planning to take her and some other family members somewhere in their RV if things don't look to improve soon (they filled up wih deisel beforehand)

You know I hate the fact that they got that monstrosity, but it is coming in handy ~ I will try to have a better attitude about it in the future.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
If I were King of the world- - -One of the first rules I would impose would be no bitchin without a ticket. To get a ticket you must first do something, no matter how small, about the problem your bitchin about. QUOTE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like it!
__________________________________________________ ___
Well thanks Marshac, that's one vote- -
NOW ITS ON TO NEBRASKA, AND SOUTH DAKOTA, THEN WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH CAROLINA YEEEHAAAAAAWW!!!!!
We need to stop him before he goes too far...get JK on the phone...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #83

I think that you will have the "jonesing crack addict" vote in your pocket.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #84

A female employee at a multinational firm in South Korea said it may have been no accident the U.S. was hit.
"Maybe it was punishment for what it did to Iraq, which has a man-made disaster, not a natural disaster," said the woman, who did not want to be named as she has an American manager.

Punished by who
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
A female employee at a multinational firm in South Korea said it may have been no accident the U.S. was hit.
"Maybe it was punishment for what it did to Iraq, which has a man-made disaster, not a natural disaster," said the woman, who did not want to be named as she has an American manager.

Punished by who
Didn't you know that Osama has a secret weather control machine?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #86

More views of W on CNN boarding Marine One helicopter to tour damage. What's up with the marine guards in full dress uniforms opening and closing doors for him? Shouldn't they be in fatigues and helping!!!?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Charles said: "Unfortunately, the world is indeed now getting a different perspective on our competence." [can't figure out how to quote)

I know--its pitiful. *But weren't the same things said after Hurricane Andrew?*

I happen to blame our previous president for setting the stage for 9/11 (his limpdick response to the USS Cole etc.).* So it doesn't surprise me that people are blaming W for the hurricane/aftermath.* *However much you hate the current administration, there's time to blame later--now we have to Do Something.*

Instead of King of the World, how about Empress of the Universe? *Martha? *
Old 09-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #88

Bill may have been a lot of things, but I don't think "limpdick" was one of them!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Bill may have been a lot of things, but I don't think "limpdick" was one of them!*
Bill was also criticized during his administration for being "obsessed" with terrorism prevention.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Bill was also criticized during his administration for being "obsessed" with terrorism prevention.
This probably is not widely known because he didn't start a color scheme of alerts to let people know!

Old 09-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

The city of New Orleans is dead, may she rest in peace. The scenes I have seen out of there today remind me of the Road Warrior, buses fleeing the city, gangs terrorizing the refugees, no civil authority.

Either that, or Beirut in the 70's.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

There is lots of blame to go around and some are already trying to score political points. The feds and FEMA are Republican, the locals are all Democrats, and a good case can be made that they're all incompetent. You can't blame one party or t'other. It's the friggin government, people. Of course they're incompetent.

Look after yourself. At bottom, that's what this board is all about. Help those who are suffering through no fault of their own. Don't expect someone else - especially not the government - to do it for you.

And the next time you see Bush or Chertoff or Brown or Blanco or Barbour (coming soon, Bush Sr. and Clinton too) on the TV blathering on about what a great job everyone is doing, just turn it off. They've f****d it up and they're not about to admit it to the proles. You should know that already.

P.S. I sure hope unclemick is okay.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

On a sunnier side, I think Texas can be pretty proud of it's response, unfortunately, the Astrodome has filled up:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9167426/

But they're now sending people to the Texan's stadium, and more to Dallas. I think NO citizens will not soon forget Houston and Texas.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs
P.S.* I sure hope unclemick is okay.
I am still proceeding under the assumption that since he fled Ivan early and in a planned manner that he did the same with Katrina. Surely he is busy with personal matters including where to live.

I hope I am not being overly optimistic. I certainly was regarding the gas situation.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs
There is lots of blame to go around and some are already trying to score political points. The feds and FEMA are Republican, the locals are all Democrats, and a good case can be made that they're all incompetent. You can't blame one party or t'other. It's the friggin government, people. Of course they're incompetent.
I couldn't say it better. I've met many fine people who enter civil service, but once they get a job description and start working together, they seem to have trouble controlling their own drool. Democrap, Repooplican... doesn't matter.

Eventually it all looks like the DMV.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #96

A post indicating unclemick2's attitudes towards hurricanes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
We've had 5 glancing hurricane hits since 1992 requiring various amounts of repair. I treat evacuations as opportunities for a mini vacation. Last year it was Ivan and off to Dallas.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I just can't imagine that he did not evacuate. He has to many people that he had to consider.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #98

Quote:
The feds and FEMA are Republican, the locals are all Democrats,
This explains the shots fired on the rescue helicopter. Also heard a medi boat/raft was charged by thugs with guns.

A few bad apples are spoiling the bunch.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #99

As regards criticism of the relief effort -- it's not ALL about political gain and bashing the current leadership. People who are IN the current leadership are not satisfied in many cases. (Never thought that in a hundred years I'd agree with Newt!)

"I think it puts into question all of the Homeland Security and Northern Command planning for the last four years, because if we can't respond faster than this to an event we saw coming across the Gulf for days, then why do we think we're prepared to respond to a nuclear or biological attack?" said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Just fyi.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #100

Quote:
I am still proceeding under the assumption that since he fled Ivan early and in a planned manner that he did the same with Katrina. Surely he is busy with personal matters including where to live.
I hope he is getting his dividend payements ok direct deposited into a bank account, I hope.*

On the issue of NOLA, do you think that it would have been any different in any of other of the poor inner cities? Even without a natural disaster, there is lawlessness?