Join Early Retirement Today

Hot Dog Eating Contest
Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hot Dog Eating Contest

The annual Coney Island Nathans hot dog eating contest. In person, it was one of the funniest things I ever saw. I watch it on TV every year its still a blast. Tomorrow check your local listings. I hope you laugh and have fun watching it.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

OK off to see the taped version its over now. Mom occupied my live viewing time.

Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

OK, the women's highlight was when the girl blew her nose on her own shirt after she ate 25 hot dogs and buns. hahaha
Old 07-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Joey Chestnut for his 10th win and a new record.
The guy is such a phenomenon!
I probably couldn't eat that many hot dogs in a week.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Administrator

72 hot dogs? I couldn't eat that many in a year.

Unless they had some condiments. Either NY or Chicago style is fine, although I took a liking to the kind they serve in some parts of South America. Some slaw, tricolor sauce, chopped onion and shoestring fries or potato sticks.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to the party-pooper, but I don't see the attraction. I think it is gross, it turns my stomach to watch even a clip on the news. And though I'm not much for "PC", I'm surprised these events haven't gone the way of minstrel shows.

We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?

OK, I'll leave now, and go off and drink a little too much beer, and maybe one more brat than I should to celebrate the day, but that's my limit!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

They're not the same any more, because they had to stop using tallow, but back in the day Nathan's fries were so awesome that sometimes we would go there just for the fries.

If you remember when McDonald's used tallow to make their fries many years ago, it was the same idea -- everyone raved about them. But Nathan's fries were simply legendary, being thicker and crinkle-cut.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Gut truck Sonoran Dog, but not 72 of them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoran_hot_dog

_B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonoran-Hotdog.jpg (451.1 KB, 29 views)
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sorry to the party-pooper, but I don't see the attraction. I think it is gross, it turns my stomach to watch even a clip on the news. And though I'm not much for "PC", I'm surprised these events haven't gone the way of minstrel shows.
I totally agree with you.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?-ERD50
Just because people tell you what and what not to do doesn't mean you have to listen to them. Much innovation has come from people doing what others said was impossible.

Do what you want to do. Live your own life.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

I wonder how come we don't have a lobster eating contest. I wouldn't mind trying.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

They do have oyster (raw) eating contests.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #13

That sounds good. But I think I might max out at less than 50 oysters. But of course it depends on the type of oyster, some are plummer than others.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
They're not the same any more, because they had to stop using tallow, but back in the day Nathan's fries were so awesome that sometimes we would go there just for the fries.

If you remember when McDonald's used tallow to make their fries many years ago, it was the same idea -- everyone raved about them. But Nathan's fries were simply legendary, being thicker and crinkle-cut.
I remember those McD fries - boy were they tasty. They make a good hot dog (or burger) so much better.

I have noticed that fires are better in the south. Crispier, more heavily seasoned. In the midwest you are likely to get fries that are soggier and clearly cooked in a rush.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:

We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?

OK, I'll leave now, and go off and drink a little too much beer, and maybe one more brat than I should to celebrate the day, but that's my limit!

-ERD50
I was there I think in 2010. I had a good view of the stage. I remember seeing hot dog pieces coming out of a contestants nose..
Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

They were "the bomb". I remember the cardboard boat they came in and the wooden pitchfork they gave you to eat them. I miss those days.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I wonder how come we don't have a lobster eating contest. I wouldn't mind trying.
+1 as long as they had melted buddah! hahha
Old 07-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
That sounds good. But I think I might max out at less than 50 oysters. But of course it depends on the type of oyster, some are plummer than others.
I was about 45 years old before I ever ate oysters Rockefeller. They too were terrific. When I got to that restaurant, as soon as I seated I tell the drink taker to put in my order for the oysters Rockefeller as they take a long time to make. Its an off the menu item now most of the time.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I used to go to Nathan's hot dog in New Jersey . The employees were legendary stupid . I would hand them a five and I would get six dollars change .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Years ago I used to go to Nathan's hot dog in New Jersey . The employees were legendary stupid . I would hand them a five and I would get six dollars change .
Too funny, That would have been my go to spot when i was broke hahaha