Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I like the Nest outdoor camera a lot. It will give you nice clear video of anyone who approaches, and since it's simultaneously uploaded to your account in the cloud, even damaging the camera would be irrelevant. Quick and easy to install, too.

I've had one installed for several months now and it's great. I can even go online and see the occasional squirrel or cat crossing my patio.
I had no idea you were into cat videos.

Seriously, no wifi issues? This camera is interesting but I can barely get good signal strength around the inside of my house.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #142

Works very well for me. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the picture is very clear. Nice to be able to watch it from my phone while on vacation.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Works very well for me. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the picture is very clear. Nice to be able to watch it from my phone while on vacation.
I like the Nest cameras (and thermostat) for the same reasons. Wrestling with signal issues, though.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #144

Maybe your wifi router could stand to be replaced? Or an extender added?

I use the one built into the Apple Time Capsule. When we moved here last year I found it did great on the main floor but wasn't always quite strong enough on the second floor. So I added an Airport Express to extend the network on that floor.

Depending on how old your router is, it might be time for an upgrade anyway?
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I like the Nest cameras (and thermostat) for the same reasons. Wrestling with signal issues, though.

I solved the signal issues by hard wiring the cameras to a POE (power over Ethernet) splitter, then a single Ethernet cable to the router. The splitter provides power to the cameras through the Ethernet cables.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
They/he/she tried again last night. I think it might have been around 10 or 11 when I heard a soft thump. Again, it was raining so could have been anything, even a car door out on the street. I didn't get up. This morning saw that the exterior door to my enclosed porch in the front of the house was almost kicked in. The door strike in the jamb was hanging by a thread and the jamb itself was ready to give. Motion sensor light 10 feet away made no difference. Us being home clearly made no difference. Why they didn't finish it off and get in I don't know, spooked, paranoid on meth. Whatever, this is crazy. Hope they never come back.
Two visits from the bad guys in 8 days? That is just so scary. I don't think I'd be able to sleep ever again. Do the police suggest any other deterrents?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Security by Legitimate Business Inc.

In the 1980s, the safest neighborhood in New York was a four block radius around John Gotti's house.

At that time, we lived in north Jersey. For a while there was a rash of burglaries in our neighborhood, but they never touched us. No dogs, no guns, no alarms. Our home was protected by the Italian name on the mailbox.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #148
gone traveling

Quote:
I like the Nest outdoor camera a lot. It will give you nice clear video of anyone who approaches, and since it's simultaneously uploaded to your account in the cloud, even damaging the camera would be irrelevant. Quick and easy to install, too.

I've had one installed for several months now and it's great. I can even go online and see the occasional squirrel or cat crossing my patio.
I assume it has wpa2 encryption capability?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It is true, home invasions area rare, although they are getting more common near here.
Burglary is nice when it's simple, but what are you going to do when it's not ?

Like when they decide you have money hidden and need to beat the answer out of you, or kill your kids because one of them saw the burglar, Or rape someone for fun.
Chicago Man Found Guilty of Killing Suburban Teen | NBC Chicago

I bought an alarm to wake me up if someone breaks in. I'll phone the police as they are only minutes away when seconds count. Then I'll hide in the bedroom with my little friend.

I don't worry at all because I have more than a bat.

Fortunately for me, getting robbed isnt a high statistical chance. But, I am aware it could happen. Speaking of minutes, when seconds count... Finding my readers (and that is assuming any are in bedroom or bathroom) to unlock phone and dialing 911, would expose myself to more risk than rolling over to little night stand and chambering in 3 seconds. Heck I never realized it until now but I have a natural bunker ready for combat if intruder walks into bedroom. I think the tactical advantages are in my favor if I stay there rather than pursue.
So probably will let them just take what they can grab. But if they walk into my bedroom, it will then become a mission to save the taxpayers money.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
They/he/she tried again last night. I think it might have been around 10 or 11 when I heard a soft thump. Again, it was raining so could have been anything, even a car door out on the street. I didn't get up. This morning saw that the exterior door to my enclosed porch in the front of the house was almost kicked in. The door strike in the jamb was hanging by a thread and the jamb itself was ready to give. Motion sensor light 10 feet away made no difference. Us being home clearly made no difference. Why they didn't finish it off and get in I don't know, spooked, paranoid on meth. Whatever, this is crazy. Hope they never come back.
They will be back.
I said it in post 82 because it is so common, it's almost a rule.

There are a bunch of reasons they will be back:
  1. They saw good stuff that later they realized they should have picked up.
  2. They took some old things, that are now replaced by insurance and will be brand new.
  3. Your place is an easy mark, they know how to break in and it was easy, vs the neighbor who maybe has a dog/son/gun/alarm system.
  4. They live pretty close by, most thieves are locals, but it means they see your place other days, looking for signs like security stickers, new locks on gate.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I assume it has wpa2 encryption capability?
Certainly, but that's a function of your router. Nest recommends using wpa2 exclusively.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #152

My brother was a victim of a home invasion. Three guys busted his door in, entered his home with guns and were quite loud about it. I don't think they thought anyone was home. Multi level small home in a rural area so neighbors were not close. He was in the bedroom upstairs, ran out of his bedroom as these guys were coming up the stairs. They shot at him. He dove back into his bedroom, grabbed a rifle in his closet and came out shooting. He hit one in the hand. They turned, ran down the stairs and out. My brother called the police who alerted all the hospitals within an hours drive. The guy whose hand was shot went to an ER 30 minutes away. They caught everyone involved. My brother was tied up in court for 2 years and he suffered much anxiety. Needless to say he has his entire home monitored with video equipment and everything else imaginable.

Oh...and his dog...hid under the bed.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
My brother was tied up in court for 2 years and he suffered much anxiety. Needless to say he has his entire home monitored with video equipment and everything else imaginable.

Quite a story, thanks. The court costs really alarm me. Lawyers are never cheap. DW would be a nervous wreck and I'd probably be not far behind that. This is a good advertisement for all of us to consider strong security even if it costs a few hundred dollars a year.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Quite a story, thanks. The court costs really alarm me. Lawyers are never cheap. DW would be a nervous wreck and I'd probably be not far behind that. This is a good advertisement for all of us to consider strong security even if it costs a few hundred dollars a year.
All depends on state laws. In some states if the investigation shows it was a legal use of force there can be no civil suits.

If you screw up, expect legal and civil fun.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
My brother was a victim of a home invasion. Three guys busted his door in, entered his home with guns and were quite loud about it. I don't think they thought anyone was home. Multi level small home in a rural area so neighbors were not close. He was in the bedroom upstairs, ran out of his bedroom as these guys were coming up the stairs. They shot at him. He dove back into his bedroom, grabbed a rifle in his closet and came out shooting. He hit one in the hand. They turned, ran down the stairs and out. My brother called the police who alerted all the hospitals within an hours drive. The guy whose hand was shot went to an ER 30 minutes away. They caught everyone involved. My brother was tied up in court for 2 years and he suffered much anxiety. Needless to say he has his entire home monitored with video equipment and everything else imaginable.

I'm guessing this is being a witness/victim as the prosecutor charged the criminals and your brother went through the interview/discussion/statement/ process, then the actual court witness , cross-examination stuff.

Could you comment was it that or did the criminals actually think they could sue him and he needed a lawyer ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I guess I should have explained his being tied up in court was due to his testifying for the Commonwealths Attorney who was prosecuting these guys. Things were delayed, delayed and delayed again by the court appointed attorneys for the intruders. I don't think my brother had direct legal fees, however it did take time away from him running his roofing company, which cost him money.

My brother considered himself lucky. He could have been shot and says to this day our mom, who had recently passed away, was watching over him.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm guessing this is being a witness/victim as the prosecutor charged the criminals and your brother went through the interview/discussion/statement/ process, then the actual court witness , cross-examination stuff.

Could you comment was it that or did the criminals actually think they could sue him and he needed a lawyer ?
Sunset, I replied and addressed this before I saw your question. See my reply above. You are correct. It was time consuming for him. So even if one is not suing the criminals or vice versa...it is a huge time suck for anyone involved in something like this.

And yes...my brother wanted the Commonwealths Attorney to press charges. And yes, they had to go thru all the evidence gathering such as the DNA from some blood left in the stairwell from the guys bleeding hand to prove they were the ones that entered his home. Bullet slug embedded in a hallway wall where they shot at him. Fingerprints on the door that was broken down. Stuff like that.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #158
Dryer sheet aficionado

My alarm system monitors the doors and there is glass breakage detectors as well. The backup is a Glock 23 with a laser sight. I won't shoot someone over stuff but I figure a red laser on them should be enough to scare the hell out of them without firing a shot; but if they insist, I'm ready.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #159
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Here's the thing. At least in the state I had training in(MO) you can't use deadly force just for a break-in or robbery. You will go to prison!
Yep. Thank goodness I am in a state that respects right to self protection.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess I should have explained his being tied up in court was due to his testifying for the Commonwealths Attorney who was prosecuting these guys. Things were delayed, delayed and delayed again by the court appointed attorneys for the intruders. I don't think my brother had direct legal fees, however it did take time away from him running his roofing company, which cost him money.

My brother considered himself lucky. He could have been shot and says to this day our mom, who had recently passed away, was watching over him.

Wow, that sucks. He is lucky to be alive.

Home invasions are pretty rare, though. Much more likely that if you are robbed it will be a lazy smash and grab type thing when nobody is home.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote