Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never owned anything that required more maintenance than a hot tub...
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
We bought a HOTSPRINGS Sovereign 28 years ago, and are still using it weekly. We had it in our first house (in an enclosed, unheated back porch) for 3 years, then moved it to the farm we have owned for 25 years. We moved it in February, and the pump develop a leak from accidentally freezing. We have replaced the cover twice, other than that, the spa is always ready for a dip, and stays at 105* without using much electricity (dedicated 30 amp 110V circuit with GFCI) because the whole underside is expanding foam insulation, that really improves the structural integrity.

A weekly spoonful of chlorinating granules, and a quarterly filter cleaning keeps the water good....best purchase we have ever made without a doubt.

We have the spa on an enclosed, unheated backporch where it gets cold, but is out of the elements, which has kept the outer wood appearance looking like brand new.

Ours is simple, and old school with 1 main jet that will literally move your body away from it with the force of the water, an end lounger with a sweeping back jet, and 4 seats each with one jet, no aerator system, or dozens of small jets, or a waterfall.
We have the exact same model. It came with the house when we bought it in 2004. Prior owners said it was only 2 years old and they did not want to move it. It's now 17 years old and still going strong.

We've had our share of repairs, but so far nothing that I couldn't handle myself. We've never had to call for service.

We bought a new cover about 2 years ago, which made a huge difference in electric consumption. The old one was in very bad shape. Ours is on a deck and fully exposed to the weather. I replaced the heater relay board around the same time when it stopped heating.

There's a check valve in the ozonator line that has failed at least 3 times (no bubbles from ozonator). It's a cheap part and very easy to replace. I also replaced the ozonator tubing once when it seemed to be discolored and corroded. I suspect the ozonator will need to be replaced soon. It's running but I have idea if it's actually producing ozone.

Every couple years, I oil the wood, which really makes it pop. I also use a vinyl protectant on the cover twice a year, which looks good and should help prolong it's life.

It needs some other work, like the sweeping back jet no longer sweeps. That part is $100. One of the two "pillows" no longer stays in place. I need to replace both. The LED display is so dim, it's very hard to read if the sun is out. And the switch for the jets on the main panel no longer works. To turn on the jets, you have to use the switch in the tub.

I add chlorine once a week, clean the filters twice a year, and replace the water once a year. Once a month or so, I wipe down the shell with a rag and remove any dirt or debris. I rarely have to adjust pH or anything else.

We use it about 2-3 times per week from Sept through May. Very relaxing and well worth the cost and maintenance effort.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An ozonator pretty much offsets the chemicals going into the hot tub. My installer suggested just using the Starter crystals--1 1/2 capfuls a week--for most of my chemical use. I do put bromine tablets in an applicator--for good measure. I change the water about 3x per year. And when I'm not going to use it for a few days, I cut the temperature down to 94 degrees or so to save on electricity.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
I have never owned anything that required more maintenance than a hot tub...
You obviously don't live on a farm, and possibly bought the wrong hot tub ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We had a 110v hot tub big enough for us both on our upper deck. Fun getting it up there. It was - ok, but we didn't care for the noise close to our bedroom. Also noticed the bump in electric use and it was something else to maintain. Didn't use it much. Eventually gave it to someone who wanted a hot tub and had cancer. They enlisted friends and family and got it moved. Don't miss it at all. I'm a shower person and she likes a certain shape clawfoot tub. Kind of like our pool down south - the use doesn't really justify the expense for us.

edit: Now my Mom had a round wooden tank with a woodfired snorkle stove. It got up to temperature really fast and was very cool as a toy that SOMEONE ELSE owned.
https://snorkel.com/hot-tub-info/sno...uba-stoves.php
Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Service is very, very important in that hot tubs do have problems "spring up." It's the only item in my house that service is so important and frequent.

I'm sorry, but Costco and Sam's Club just don't have servicemen where you can receive personal attention. Price is not everything, but the quality of the individual components is. Delivery and setup is also important.

Buy your tub only from someone that can give service. It's not like you can just pickup a 3,500 pound hot tub with water and take it in. Mine weighs 850 lbs. not including 350 pounds of water.
You must mean 350 gallons of water, not pounds, correct?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have owned three hot tubs. Some options were useless, but that is up to you. What gets me mad is how quickly they age, and how so many of the parts are specialty items. You can not fix most of them.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

For our first jaquzzi, I got my doctor to write a script. So our accountant wrote-off all the expenses, both to buy/install it, and the monthly operating expenses.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post

edit: Now my Mom had a round wooden tank with a woodfired snorkle stove. It got up to temperature really fast and was very cool as a toy that SOMEONE ELSE owned.
Well said. We spent $500 yearly to have a membership at the local hot springs. No maintenance and upkeep. Much more enjoyable for us. Plus we meet some very interesting people. [emoji12]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had two Jacuzzi 6 person models at two houses over past 25 yrs. Both purchased from local distributors. They worked flawlessly through all seasons and we lived in areas with extreme cold weather. 1) Buy with 220 service, otherwise you cant operate jets and heat at same time. Having an ozonator is preferable as it cuts down on the need for chems. 2) Have wiring installed by professional electrician, as others have mentioned - its got to be done to code and an emergency cutoff switch in a weather proof box is required. 3) If you are installing on a wooden deck as we did or even on a concrete pad, be sure its engineered for the weight of filled tub and it's subject to local building codes/inspection. 4) Know that even if it freezes in winter (ours did once due to power outage) there are blow out plugs in the pipes which made repairs easier and lower cost than I would have guessed. 5) plan on draining, cleaning and refilling ~every 6 mos. Your local distributor will analyze your water and give you the start up chem formula for your spa.
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would find an independent hot tub repair shop and ask about any used ones they have for sale. Available after market parts can be problematic for some brands as they age. My Dr wrote me a prescription for mine(still couldn't itemize med costs). I went to 3 different stores featuring 4 or 5 different brands or lines. Lots of good tips above. We also considered the ongoing cost of the sanitizing system.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I have owned 2 "Soft Tubs" (brand name) in the past and really liked them. They are much cheaper and more light weight than regular hot tubs. They use much less electricity and can be plugged into a regular electric outlet. The jets are not as powerful as some more expensive hot tubs but they were fine for me and the water stayed nice and hot. When we were not going to use the soft tub for a while, we emptied it and rolled it into the garage, very light weight. When we moved it was also very easy to move. I highly recommend.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote