Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Hot weather tips
Old 07-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
don't clog up the cooling system with antiperspirants, use undershirts if you need to look tidy. never put the top down when it goes over 89 degrees. never spend more than 30 seconds going from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car. you can take your time going to the pool if your yard is shady. always keep at least 3 changes of t-shirts in the car trunk.
Oh, yeah. If you are still working, they make these stretchy, lycra-like tee shirts that keep you neat and trim wearing a dress shirt, absorb sweat perspiration, and prevent that "is that a bug or is it sweat dripping down my torso" feeling.

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In general, heat does not bother me. Specifically, I must have a hat, probably due to thinning of my hair (oops, I almost typed due to thinking). But I can tolerate most any heat. I just hate cold; below 60 degrees is too cold for me. Since I was born and raised in New Orleans, without air conditioning, humidity doesn't bother me either. Just cold. As to hot weather tips, here's one: avoid alcohol. Beer is no good outside in the heat. Drink water, plenty of it.

Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Live in a mild climate.
2. Live less than a few miles from the coast to catch the offshore winds.
3.* Take a dip in the pool.
4.* Run your pool solar collector at night when the pool gets over 85.*
5.* On those 3 days a year when all else fails, run the air conditioner.
Random Reinforcement is Highly Addictive.
riskadverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #24

Originally Posted by riskaverse
4.* Run your pool solar collector at night when the pool gets over 85.
great idea, didn't know they worked in reverse. the swimming hall of fame pool here in lauderdale runs a system at night in summer whereby the water is filtered but then returned to the pool streaming first through the air. it makes the water wonderfully refreshing to swim when it is hot out during our summer days.

i also swim the local high school pool. they do not have such a system and wow, what a huge difference an air-conditioned pool makes.
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We live three blocks from Ocean Beach in San Francisco, and when the temperature in the house (no a/c, no insulation) hits 70F we declare an official heat wave and complain bitterly about the beastly heat.

When you consider that I spent my jr high->university years in ABQ NM, and I used to be able to go out and ride my dirt bike all day in 95F+ temps (and enjoy it) I've really acclimated.

The best way to deal with hot weather is to not be there.

Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #26

I have lived in NYC for most of my life and except for A/C forced on me at work, I never use it. I would ride my bike to work and hated having to go from outdoor 90 degrees to indoor 68. No wonder, people would complain about going outside. I use a small quiet 60+ yo GE fan that was left in the apartment below me over 35 years ago, to cool me off at home. I also used it winter time against my radiator to move and heat up the air. I am using it right now. It is an amazing little motor. I am taking it to Tucson with me.

I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote