Join Early Retirement Today

Hot weather tips
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Hot weather tips

OK, it's pretty hot here and most other places. I've lived in Tucson and Tampa, after decades in Wisconsin. How do you cope with the heat, besides staying inside (which drives me nuts)?

Here are some things that worked great for me:

1. It's mostly psychological. If you associate sweating with misery you will be miserable. If you associate it with sultry, lazy days, kickin back, you'll chill out. Same with cold weather in its own way, BTW. Sweat is good.

2. Clothes: long sleeves if working in the yard for more than a few minutes (learned this by watching Mexican laborere in Az waring wool flannel shirts while working in the hot sun). A Tilly had with wide brim (world's best hats, bar none). Tech fibers really work if you get good quality: they don't stick to you and let your sweat work. Almost all my tee shirts* now are the wicking kind.

3. Time: takes 10-14 days to physiologically adapt to the heat. You'll rarely get to that point on 1 week vacations, but it gets better after that. Your body sweats more efficiently, etc.

4. Exercising in the heat really helped me. I jogged as long as it was under 100 in Tucson but always with a water supply and a pulse monitor and self-permission to stop/walk/rest if needed. Here in the tropics, I only run if it's 90 or below, and in a shady neighborhood. Doing so seems to make me much more tolerant and comfortable in the heat when I'm just hanging out. But my pulse really rises fast in the heat, even at a slow jog so I monitor it still just to be safe.

What else?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hot weather tips
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

What else?
Lots of H2O!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
1. It's mostly psychological. If you associate sweating with misery you will be miserable. If you associate it with sultry, lazy days, kickin back, you'll chill out. Same with cold weather in its own way, BTW. Sweat is good.
I'm afraid that associating cold weather with sultry, lazy days, kickin back, has never worked for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

If the weather gets above your body temperature, does that mean that a fan will blow away the relatively cool air next to your body (not to mention the sweat) and heat you up more, so that in really hot places fans do the opposite of what they're supposed to?

I personally find swimming to be the most pleasant way of cooling down in the summer, although I guess you can't do that at the office (lifeguard job anyone?).
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
I personally find swimming to be the most pleasant way of cooling down in the summer, although I guess you can't do that at the office (lifeguard job anyone?).
I've seen lifeguards surfing but I've never seen them swimming...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I make sure I have plenty of beverages in my cooler as I take off in my golf cart.*
Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It was 63 degrees in the house this morning when we lit the woodstove.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
It was 63 degrees in the house this morning when we lit the woodstove.
Hey Trombone, when you gonna perform live for us again on the radio?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

* I'll try this with the hot flashes.

Quote:
2. Clothes: long sleeves if working in the yard for more than a few minutes (learned this by watching Mexican laborere in Az waring wool flannel shirts while working in the hot sun). A Tilly had with wide brim (world's best hats, bar none). Tech fibers really work if you get good quality: they don't stick to you and let your sweat work. Almost all my tee shirts* now are the wicking kind.
* This just doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't having your skin exposed make the sweat evaporate faster, cooling you off?* Are the long sleeves really more about protecting you from the sun than the heat? So they are good if you are in the sun but bad if you are in the shade? Also, don't the hats trap heat from your head?* Maybe the best would be a wide brim hat with no top (unless you are bald). Or just a visor.

Quote:
3. Time: takes 10-14 days to physiologically adapt to the heat. You'll rarely get to that point on 1 week vacations, but it gets better after that. Your body sweats more efficiently, etc.
* So that is why I never adapt to the heat.*

The one thing people do in the south that makes no sense to me is keeping their air conditioning on bitter cold. That seems counter productive and like it would make it more difficult to adapt.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Cold snap here, its only going to top 90. We just got back from a long walk enjoying the chilly breezes that in other areas would be comparable to a blow dryer set to 'high'.

Constant hydration. Whole house fans at night and into the early morning if its still below 75. Solar attic fan to delay heat buildup. Lots of pipe and duct insulation, and even at that I get 120-130 degree water out of the COLD faucet for 4-5 minutes if it hasnt been turned on in a while. Cheap intex $50 pool which works GREAT for a few dips a day when working outside. Coolaroo shade sails on the pergola and a ceiling fan mounted under the frame to allow actual outside relaxation in the summer. Ceiling fans in all the rooms. Couple of small high efficiency window air conditioners in the rooms we use the most so we can keep those chilly without killing the electric company. Lightweight baggy clothing of open mesh material, and not much of it. Late day trips to a shady park with lots of grass and trees where it always feels 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the area.

Fighting the heat feels like a war of attrition from when the sun comes up until it goes down again.

On really hot days when we really want to sit outside, a misting tube with four spritz outlets clamped onto a high volume floor fan set to "high" about 10' away and pointed at us. Actually feels a little chilly after a while, even though its 110 out.

I am, I should point out, getting a little tired of the summer heat after all these years and would love to live somewhere in CA that was temperate, relatively inexpensive, and without the tendencies for earthquakes, floods, mudslides or tsunami's...

But those winter months when we get weeks of 70 degree weather are ok, and our spring and fall are just like a lot of other temperate regions summer times, so I guess I cant complain too much.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
*I'll try this with the hot flashes.
If it works, PLEASE give my DW a call...

The sleeve thing is counterintuitive. But with a breathable fabric like a tech shirt or baggy light cotton, it's a tradeoff between blocking direct sunlight v. impairing sweating and its evaporation. For longer periods in the sun, the sleeves win, I guess (don't recommend flannel, though ). Yes, good in the sun and bad in the shade.

The adaptation thing is pretty amazing. I've had family visit and my brother, in particular, is miserable with the heat and humidity. After a week you can consistently watch him gradually whine less and less, and toward the end of a 10 day visit, he will happily tag along for all kinds of pretty strenuous outdoor stuff with out so much as a whimper. Most of this data comes from military research.

Of course if all you do is sit around in the air conditioning, it won't happen.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Cold snap here, its only going to top 90.
So remind me what region you live in (didn't see it in your profile).

Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just north of Excramento California. Yuba City. Central Valley. Hotter than crap in the summer.

But its a dry heat. Really, really dry.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have another tip. I'm having a cold piece of watermelon as I type this. You northerners eat watermelon? Cool and refreshing. *8)
Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Had that whole house fan installed last week, it's a big winner. *When we go to sleep we have the window next to the bed cracked open about 4 inches and the breeze actually has us snuggling under the covers instead of sweating and miserable. Tori is sleeping better, too. * *At this point we have to run the air conditioner about two hours a day, late afternoon once the hot outside air finally works it's way through all the insulation. *
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Most of this data comes from military research.
My parents-in-law complained incessantly about the heat and lack of A/C when they moved to Hawaii.

After a year here, they complain incessantly about the cold winters.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #16

don't clog up the cooling system with antiperspirants, use undershirts if you need to look tidy. never put the top down when it goes over 89 degrees. never spend more than 30 seconds going from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car. you can take your time going to the pool if your yard is shady. always keep at least 3 changes of t-shirts in the car trunk.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Pretty cold here also - maybe 90 degrees(I'm from the LA swamp). Not as dry as parts of CA - but very reasonable.

Long sleeve shirt and straw cowboy hat(it is MO) when out in the sun.

heh heh heh- drink water if I'm actually working on the yard or something. Back in the pre Katrina days - eat a banana(potassium) and chase it with water, Benadryl handy for fire ant bites.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #18

"i don't sweat; i perspire. and i don't perspire."~~charles emerson winchester the thurd of m*a*s*h fame.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
lifeguard job anyone?
Apply here

Quote:
My parents-in-law complained incessantly about the heat and lack of A/C when they moved to Hawaii.

After a year here, they complain incessantly about the cold winters.
I know the feeling.... those dreaded days when you're tempted to bundle up in socks.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

what are these "socks" you speak of?