Join Early Retirement Today

Hotels and noise!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hotels and noise!!!

I must say what is with hotels? I mean you spend 100 to 250 a night for a room that is next to another room and you can hear their TV listen to their conversations and their kids screaming and crying!

When did americans decide to build rooms without sound proofing??

We spent last night in a Hilton Garden inn tysons corner Va outside of DC and man I had to go down to the front desk at 1am and get my room moved. All I wanted to do was efin sleep but the idiots in the room next door were watching TV and having their kids play!

It was like they were in the darn room. A BRAND NEW HOTEL!!!

Bottom line hotels suck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hotels and noise!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
I must say what is with hotels? I mean you spend 100 to 250 a night for a room that is next to another room and you can hear their TV listen to their conversations and their kids screaming and crying!
Or worse. I was at the New Orleans 'W' hotel awhile back and heard something I would have prefered not to....... 3 guys going at it. Sweet dreams. :P

Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me safety is prime.* I would rather have an adjoining room with kids than an intoxicated arguing couple, any day.

I travel with an all-band radio with a pillow speaker, then bury my head in pillows - NPR is my luluaby.* Hotels rarely invest in good sound-proofing, "up scale" won't necessarily be quiet.* Before reserving check rants and raves at www.tripadvisor.com.

Elevators drive me nuts, as do rooms near the ice machine.* Avoid rooms near where large trucks park, or those facing a freeway or freeway exit.* Take a long look at the hotel before approaching reception, see if you can identify sources of noise. Be sure to ask for a quiet room when registering.* *When given a room assignment look at the map the front desk will give you before leaving receiption.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #4

Or you could take my trusty "white-noise machine."* I have a choice of ocean waves, rain, thunderstorms, summer night, heartbeat, running brook, etc.*

When we were in Taos, 4 guys, construction workers I believe, met in the room next to us and proceeded to drink and talk.* I knocked about 1 a.m. and asked them to can it and DW called the front desk.* Turns out they are regulars at the hotel and meet every Friday night.* I expected hostility, but they were sympathetic, apologetic and toned it down a tad, but it reminded me to take that white noise machine.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
For me safety is prime.* I would rather have an adjoining room with kids than an intoxicated arguing couple, any day.

I travel with an all-band radio with a pillow speaker, then bury my head in pillows - NPR is my luluaby.* Hotels rarely invest in good sound-proofing, "up scale" won't necessarily be quiet.* Before reserving check rants and raves at www.tripadvisor.com.

Elevators drive me nuts, as do rooms near the ice machine.* Avoid rooms near where large trucks park, or those facing a freeway or freeway exit.* Take a long look at the hotel before approaching reception, see if you can identify sources of noise. Be sure to ask for a quiet room when registering.* *When given a room assignment look at the map the front desk will give you before leaving receiption.
On the way back from Texas (Friday) I stayed at a pretty nice Motel 6.
I was awakened at 1 a.m. by the couple in the next room making very
enthusiastic love (thin walls?). Anyway, it reminded me of the good
old days. I just rolled over on my good ear. They did go on for quite a
while though.

JG
Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

About 12 years ago we stayed in a large hotel in New Orleans. About 3:00am, elavator bell clinging, room doors slamming, some guy yells down the hall to his posse, asking what time is the meeting? Since then we have stayed in a B&B whenever we travel. Well worth it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #7

For some reason I've found that AAA reviewed hotel / motels were the worst. When I used to travel, I would look up motels I would see on the road in the AAA book and only stop if they were not listed. They may have not been up to the AAA standard for being clean, but they usually passed my criteria for being quiet.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm much more sensitive to noise than most people; it's a problem. I remember a hotel in Kauai where, instead of listening to the waves, I had to hear the pool filter motor all night.

I was at a week-long jazz camp once where the guy in the room next door was an incredibly loud snorer.

We always carry earplugs when we travel. If you experiment with different brands, you can find some that don't hurt your ears too much when you sleep with them.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I had custom ear plugs made when I was doing lots of motorcycle riding. Because they are so comfortable and effective, I wear them all the time for mowing the lawn, loud concernts, and even loud restaurants (I can converse better since I have a mild high frequency loss).

Rarely do I wear them to sleep, but last trip in the RV with AC on all night, they were really helpful.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
...room doors slamming...
Yeah what is it with all the door slamming? I'm always amazed people can't hold onto the door so the kaboom of the door shutting doesn't disturb the entire hotel.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM? Was in a room at the Hilton in Tampa last week and my next door "neighbor" and "Ms. Neighbor" had a one-on-one with no holds (holes?) bared *right after I fell asleep. I think that they should not place beds in different rooms head-to-head.

If I would not have had a meeting at 6AM I would not have minded it all. Yes, I called the main desk, and about 15 min. later, I heard a rap on the door next to mine and heard... "not us sir..sleeping" .

He wins, I lose...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM? Was in a room at the Hilton in Tampa last week and my next door "neighbor" and "Ms. Neighbor" had a one-on-one with no holds (holes?) bared right after I fell asleep.
That's terrible. Just awful. And right here in Tampa.

What room number was that again?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What room number was that again?
I think it was 841, but they are probebly gone by now. Thanks for the concern Rich

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think it was 841, but they are probebly gone by now. Thanks for the concern Rich
It appears the Doc might be willing to go back to 841 and wait in the hope she returns, no matter how long it takes. Think he's hoping for a patient doctor relationship....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
It appears the Doc might be willing to go back to 841 and wait in the hope she returns, no matter how long it takes. Think he's hoping for a patient doctor relationship....
I'm a very patient doctor.

Hey, it was MickeyD who started his post thusly:

"How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?"

Uh... no thanks.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
For some reason I've found that AAA reviewed hotel / motels were the worst.* When I used to travel, I would look up motels I would see on the road in the AAA book and only stop if they were not listed.* *They may have not been up to the AAA standard for being clean, but they usually passed my criteria for being quiet.*
Haha! A few years back I stayed at a AAA recommended motor hotel in downtown Spokane. It had a nice rooftop pool, a bar etc. Sitting around the pool resting up from my drive that had started much earlier that day in Billings, I noticed an unusually large number of good looking women in very nice Bikinis who were apparently traveling alone. That should have tipped me off, but I just ogled and considered myself lucky.

Then about 3 AM I heard fire alarms, sirens and a lot of yelling. A few hours later, after much checking by the Fire Department, it was determined that one of the ladies that I saw the previous evening at the pool had a* disgruntled John, who decided to wreck her beauty sleep by turning in a fire alarm.

Why are people so vindictive?* *
Old 09-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #17

I try to rent houses whenever we travel...not always an option of course, but for extended trips its nice to be able to spread your wings a bit and have some privacy. Haven't stayed in a hotel for probably 15 years.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?
Hey, isn't the mouth about 8 inches from the ear? Let's not condemn this without thinking it over...

Ha
Old 09-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

"How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?"

Although this may be tolerated in Miami, I'm sure it is illegal in the state of Florida!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?
8 inches, hah!* . . . .* oh never mind! I've haven't been in Tampa in 15 years.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote