Hotels and noise!!!

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I must say what is with hotels? I mean you spend 100 to 250 a night for a room that is next to another room and you can hear their TV listen to their conversations and their kids screaming and crying!

When did americans decide to build rooms without sound proofing??

We spent last night in a Hilton Garden inn tysons corner Va outside of DC and man I had to go down to the front desk at 1am and get my room moved. All I wanted to do was efin sleep but the idiots in the room next door were watching TV and having their kids play!

It was like they were in the darn room. A BRAND NEW HOTEL!!!

Bottom line hotels suck!

newguy888 said:
I must say what is with hotels? I mean you spend 100 to 250 a night for a room that is next to another room and you can hear their TV listen to their conversations and their kids screaming and crying!

Or worse. I was at the New Orleans 'W' hotel awhile back and heard something I would have prefered not to....... 3 guys going at it. Sweet dreams. :p

For me safety is prime.  I would rather have an adjoining room with kids than an intoxicated arguing couple, any day.

I travel with an all-band radio with a pillow speaker, then bury my head in pillows - NPR is my luluaby.  Hotels rarely invest in good sound-proofing, "up scale" won't necessarily be quiet.  Before reserving check rants and raves at www.tripadvisor.com.

Elevators drive me nuts, as do rooms near the ice machine.  Avoid rooms near where large trucks park, or those facing a freeway or freeway exit.  Take a long look at the hotel before approaching reception, see if you can identify sources of noise. Be sure to ask for a quiet room when registering.   When given a room assignment look at the map the front desk will give you before leaving receiption.

Or you could take my trusty "white-noise machine."  I have a choice of ocean waves, rain, thunderstorms, summer night, heartbeat, running brook, etc. 

When we were in Taos, 4 guys, construction workers I believe, met in the room next to us and proceeded to drink and talk.  I knocked about 1 a.m. and asked them to can it and DW called the front desk.  Turns out they are regulars at the hotel and meet every Friday night.  I expected hostility, but they were sympathetic, apologetic and toned it down a tad, but it reminded me to take that white noise machine.

Brat said:
For me safety is prime.  I would rather have an adjoining room with kids than an intoxicated arguing couple, any day.

I travel with an all-band radio with a pillow speaker, then bury my head in pillows - NPR is my luluaby.  Hotels rarely invest in good sound-proofing, "up scale" won't necessarily be quiet.  Before reserving check rants and raves at www.tripadvisor.com.

Elevators drive me nuts, as do rooms near the ice machine.  Avoid rooms near where large trucks park, or those facing a freeway or freeway exit.  Take a long look at the hotel before approaching reception, see if you can identify sources of noise. Be sure to ask for a quiet room when registering.   When given a room assignment look at the map the front desk will give you before leaving receiption.

On the way back from Texas (Friday) I stayed at a pretty nice Motel 6.
I was awakened at 1 a.m. by the couple in the next room making very
enthusiastic love (thin walls?). Anyway, it reminded me of the good
old days. I just rolled over on my good ear. They did go on for quite a
while though. :)

JG

About 12 years ago we stayed in a large hotel in New Orleans. About 3:00am, elavator bell clinging, room doors slamming, some guy yells down the hall to his posse, asking what time is the meeting? Since then we have stayed in a B&B whenever we travel. Well worth it.

For some reason I've found that AAA reviewed hotel / motels were the worst. When I used to travel, I would look up motels I would see on the road in the AAA book and only stop if they were not listed. They may have not been up to the AAA standard for being clean, but they usually passed my criteria for being quiet.

I'm much more sensitive to noise than most people; it's a problem. I remember a hotel in Kauai where, instead of listening to the waves, I had to hear the pool filter motor all night.

I was at a week-long jazz camp once where the guy in the room next door was an incredibly loud snorer.

We always carry earplugs when we travel. If you experiment with different brands, you can find some that don't hurt your ears too much when you sleep with them.

I had custom ear plugs made when I was doing lots of motorcycle riding. Because they are so comfortable and effective, I wear them all the time for mowing the lawn, loud concernts, and even loud restaurants (I can converse better since I have a mild high frequency loss).

Rarely do I wear them to sleep, but last trip in the RV with AC on all night, they were really helpful.

poboy said:
...room doors slamming...

Yeah what is it with all the door slamming? I'm always amazed people can't hold onto the door so the kaboom of the door shutting doesn't disturb the entire hotel.

How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM? Was in a room at the Hilton in Tampa last week and my next door "neighbor" and "Ms. Neighbor" had a one-on-one with no holds (holes?) bared  right after I fell asleep. I think that they should not place beds in different rooms head-to-head.

If I would not have had a meeting at 6AM I would not have minded it all. Yes, I called the main desk, and about 15 min. later, I heard a rap on the door next to mine and heard... "not us sir..sleeping" .

He wins, I lose...

mickeyd said:
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM? Was in a room at the Hilton in Tampa last week and my next door "neighbor" and "Ms. Neighbor" had a one-on-one with no holds (holes?) bared right after I fell asleep.

That's terrible. Just awful. And right here in Tampa.

What room number was that again? ;)

mickeyd said:
I think it was 841, but they are probebly gone by now. Thanks for the concern Rich :eek:

It appears the Doc might be willing to go back to 841 and wait in the hope she returns, no matter how long it takes. Think he's hoping for a patient doctor relationship....

REWahoo! said:
It appears the Doc might be willing to go back to 841 and wait in the hope she returns, no matter how long it takes. Think he's hoping for a patient doctor relationship....

:LOL: I'm a very patient doctor.

Hey, it was MickeyD who started his post thusly:

"How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?"

Uh... no thanks. :D

riskaverse said:
For some reason I've found that AAA reviewed hotel / motels were the worst.  When I used to travel, I would look up motels I would see on the road in the AAA book and only stop if they were not listed.   They may have not been up to the AAA standard for being clean, but they usually passed my criteria for being quiet. 

Haha! A few years back I stayed at a AAA recommended motor hotel in downtown Spokane. It had a nice rooftop pool, a bar etc. Sitting around the pool resting up from my drive that had started much earlier that day in Billings, I noticed an unusually large number of good looking women in very nice Bikinis who were apparently traveling alone. That should have tipped me off, but I just ogled and considered myself lucky.

Then about 3 AM I heard fire alarms, sirens and a lot of yelling. A few hours later, after much checking by the Fire Department, it was determined that one of the ladies that I saw the previous evening at the pool had a  disgruntled John, who decided to wreck her beauty sleep by turning in a fire alarm.

Why are people so vindictive?  :confused:  :confused:

I try to rent houses whenever we travel...not always an option of course, but for extended trips its nice to be able to spread your wings a bit and have some privacy. Haven't stayed in a hotel for probably 15 years.

mickeyd said:
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?

Hey, isn't the mouth about 8 inches from the ear? Let's not condemn this without thinking it over...

Ha

Rich_in_Tampa said:
"How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?"
Although this may be tolerated in Miami, I'm sure it is illegal in the state of Florida!

mickeyd said:
How about hot sex about 8 inches from your ear at 2AM?
8 inches, hah!  . . . .  oh never mind! I've haven't been in Tampa in 15 years.  :LOL:

We stayed at a 4+ star hotel in downtown San Antonio. It was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in and says a lot with all the travel I used to do. This place had paper thin walls, no sound absorbing materials in the hallways, was above the bar, next to the elevators and ice machine, had a family of screaming brats in rooms on both sides of us and was on the second floor just above the street. I use my ear plugs every night and would have liked to have been able to put two sets in during that trip.

Yuck! :p

SteveR said:
We stayed at a 4+ star hotel in downtown San Antonio. It was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in and says a lot with all the travel I used to do. This place had paper thin walls, no sound absorbing materials in the hallways, was above the bar, next to the elevators and ice machine, had a family of screaming brats in rooms on both sides of us and was on the second floor just above the street. I use my ear plugs every night and would have liked to have been able to put two sets in during that trip.

Yuck! :p

That wouldn't have been the Hilton Palacio del Rio, would it?

REWahoo! said:
That wouldn't have been the Hilton Palacio del Rio, would it?

No, it was the Hotel Valencia. I would not recommend it for many reasons...including noise, poor service, and very high prices. ( we got it as part of a package and now I know why :mad:)

SteveR said:
No, it was the Hotel Valencia. I would not recommend it for many reasons...including noise, poor service, and very high prices. ( we got it as part of a package and now I know why :mad:)

Interesting. TripAdvisor.com rates it as the #10 (out of 248) hotel in San Antonio. Yet if you read some of the individual comments by those who have stayed there, the word "noise" does seem to come up a lot...

Back
Top Bottom