Hotels or Motels

Most of our trips are for mini vacations so I try to find unique properties . We stayed at a few boutique hotels especially the Kimpton ones that we really like and in Key West or St. Augustine it's always a B&B.

Ten years ago we loved LaQuintas for trip to the south, then they started going downhill, now they seem to have started going back up. We usually find Hampton Inns along our routes now.

The 'affordable' chains seem to cycle through phases something like this:
1. New build, or acquire and remodel to chain specs.
2. Coast for 10-15 years or so, steadily declining
3. Major remodel
4. Go to phase 2.

Properties in the first 5 to 7 years of phase 2 are usually pretty good. Seems like if we catch a property that is in the last half of phase 2 we might look for a different chain that is currently close to the beginning of phase 2.

I've got a ton of Marriott points saved up, so we generally stay at their lower-rung places when we travel. I've stayed in a lot of Fairfield Inns (the cheapest of the Marriot line--a motel) and have never been disappointed--clean rooms, always hot coffee available in the lobby, and a very modest but clean breakfast areas (make your own waffles, there are hardboiled eggs, cereal, etc).

If I'm paying, Motel 6 is about the cheapest place you can find a dependably clean and serviceable room. Yes, stay out of the big cities.

If we're taking the pooch, IIRC Red Roof Inn has the most accommodating dog policies. If you are allergic to dogs, that's probably important info, too.

If you are on a tight budget and willing to roll the dice, the Highway Exit Guides and similar publications available at rest stops, cheap restaurants, and convenience stores along the major highways offer great deals. Lots of coupons for budget lodging, all arranged by exit number.

When I was young my dad used the AAA guides to choose hotels during our trips. I don't know if they are a reliable source of info regarding the cleanliness/desirability of non-chain motels.

I went to one hotel; After I killed my 17th spider we left. There were big ones, small ones. Some wolf spiders, some I didn't recognize.
Um, this is one that we need to point out to T-Al, I mean, I know he's trying to spend less time on the internet, but that is just hilarious, Marquette. :D
You mean 'cause I'd like a place that comes with free in-room entertainment?

I like motels as i dont have to walk so far carrying all the luggage.On a recent 5wk trip i got to like the Super 8 chain as they were consistant in quality and i got to hate Best Western for really bad sevice.On the whole trip i never saw one of these infamous bed bugs.

Since retirement, we usually drive to someplace warmer in late winter (That's March, in Minnesota), using motels on the way out and back. Lately we've been using Choice Hotels mostly because of widespread properties, generous points, and periodic 2'fers (stay twice, get one free) or currently 3'fers. We use Tripadvisor to weed out the losers, and vary where we stay by up to 50 miles, depending on what sounds good.
We use an internet home/condo rental service (see Cyberrentals) to find a place at our chosen destination, usually much cheaper than staying in hotel/motels.
Last winter we stayed out by T'Al in Cotati, CA in a very nice 2br house with super landscaping, quail, turkeys, etc. Did the barrel tasting tour in the Sonoma valley, visited beaches, and enjoyed spring (temporarily), all for about $100/day.
The winter before, we went to Minn Twins spring training in Ft. Myers with another couple, and rented a new 3 br condo much cheaper than staying in motels at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom