Join Early Retirement Today

Hotels or Motels
Old 08-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hotels or Motels

Which one do you guys stay in when on vacation?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In a city I prefer hotels. On the road a motel. I enjoy Embassy Suites and Hiltons in the city, on the road Travel Lodge if time permits. On a fast trip where the stop is just to sleep and grab a quick shower then I look for a cheapie but NOT around a city they are to full of trash and hookers.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 AM   #3

Been a long time since my last US road trip, but motels are usually cool. Not many "motels" in the center of Boston or Chicago or Manhattan. Depends on the type of vacation, too.. is the lodging itself more of a destination (tends towards hotel) or just a pit stop (tends toward motel)? I remember great motel vacations, though, in NH and on Cape Cod.. and as a kid, along the Appalachian Trail, Mohawk Trail, and the "Skyline Drive" area.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #4

For vacation it is strictly hotels. I'm not staying anywhere you don't have to walk past a desk clerk in the lobby to get to your room.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #5

Holiday Inn works for us.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #6

1st choice - Motel 6
2nd choice - any non-chain motel
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
full of trash and hookers.
Details please...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #8

I like older motels with some charm, when possible. Years ago, some tourism department in Florida put out a great little book called Superior Small Lodging in Florida that I loved. We found the coolest funky little motels through using that book, one was just a block off the beach in Ft Lauderdale, lush landscaping, had a pool, a parrot, and a poodle, and was just awesome. I just booked a room at the Thunderbird Motel in Savannah, GA for a craft beer festival at the end of the month--just $99 a night. It is a 50's motel that has been refurbished and is very cool.

If I'm traveling alone, though, it is hotel all the way. No way would I stay by myself in a place without a lobby.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #9

I went to one hotel; After I killed my 17th spider we left. There were big ones, small ones. Some wolf spiders, some I didn't recognize. Oh, and my wife is allergic (more fun for Sarah to edit it back to say contagious) to spider bites. That one was memoriable because the whole trip was to go and hang out in this town and stay at this hotel, but both were a severe let down.

I went to one motel, there was an ant nest behind the bed. The entire wall behind the headboard was crawling with ants. We left. That one was particularily disappointing because the next place we could stop was an hour up the road and it was already 1am.

So, to get back to the question, when we're travelling we usually go to cheaper hotels with reward programs and beds that we like (Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites), however we'll take whatever is open and clean when we're on the road and ready to stop.

Probably the fanciest place we've stayed so far was the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. While it was enjoyable, we've regretted the cost every now and then since our trip (it was $640 a night). I had to kill a scorpion in our room there but it was otherwise enjoyable.

oh noes, my wifer is a spidar!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Been a long time since my last US road trip, but motels are usually cool.
Yeah, I think it has been a while if "cool" was your latest recollection.

The route 66 charm has long left us. Many motels I've stayed at are ugly places; formula decor, variable and often substandard cleanliness, sometimes noisy, have vague odors I'd rather not think about. Breakfast, if any, consisted of powdered donuts, stale bagels, miniboxes of cereal and if you are lucky, some powdered eggs, yogurt or fruit.

I'd say that in the middle price range about half are generally decent. Not one of my favorite parts of auto travel.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I usually stay at hotels, but I hear that Motel 6 has become a really nice place to stay...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #12

[quote=Marquette;694262]I went to one hotel; After I killed my 17th spider we left. There were big ones, small ones. Some wolf spiders, some I didn't recognize. Oh, and my wife is contagious to spider bites. /quote]

Um, this is one that we need to point out to T-Al, I mean, I know he's trying to spend less time on the internet, but that is just hilarious, Marquette.

But I really do like the idea of someone being contagious to spider bites--does that mean she gives the bites to you?

Sorry to give you a hard time, especially after FD was trying to talk some smack to you about being (like me) childfree!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We're pretty much hotel people. I prefer Hampton Inns, based on cleanliness and comfort of the beds. We've had so many bad experiences other places we seized on them for consistancy's sake. It's been years since I stayed with another chain.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Um, this is one that we need to point out to T-Al, I mean, I know he's trying to spend less time on the internet, but that is just hilarious, Marquette.
I have NO IDEA what you're talking about

and I found the edit button.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #15

Marquette you are no fun--and remember I have an edit button, too--I'm a moderator---cue the evil laugh.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sorry to give you a hard time, especially after FD was trying to talk some smack to you about being (like me) childfree!
The only reason I did that is he was giving us with kids advice about what it's like to have them. I remember one time my late sister was trying to give me marital advice, and that was 3 years after her SECOND divorce....................now THAT was funny..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The only reason I did that is he was giving us with kids advice about what it's like to have them.
You'll have to point out where I was trying to give advice. I was simply posting a funny reply to someone asking on an internet board how many kids he should have.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
You'll have to point out where I was trying to give advice. I was simply posting a funny reply to someone asking on an internet board how many kids he should have.
Sorry..........I need mroe coffee........... The market has me punchdrunk............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Is it like asking how many lumps you want? AH one..ah two ahhhhh threee ?

Bonus points if you know the cartoon!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sorry..........I need mroe coffee........... The market has me punchdrunk............
Hey, FD - has winter already started up there? Cabin fever? Take a weekend ice fishing, it'll do you good .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote