Join Early Retirement Today

House cleaning service
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

House cleaning service

We're both currently laid up with injuries - me with a wounded foot, on crutches, and DW with recent shoulder surgery - and recently took advantage of a housecleaning deal. First time ever we have not done it ourselves. We were satisfied with the result, the two young women were very energetic & eager to do what we asked of them; they did a basic thorough job on our ~2000 sf house in about 2 hours, for $67. They did things we typically let slide, like cleaning baseboards, polishing appliances, washing hard floors, etc., as well as the usual vac & dust routine.
We're thinking of doing this occasionally in the future.
If you use a service, what's a reasonable range of prices for a place our size?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our house cleaner gets $45 for 2 hours. She performs similar services. Sounds like you are getting a better deal than us.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

$80 for 3-4 man hours, 3000 Sq ft house. Weekly. I'd like to cut back, but my wife has higher cleanliness standards. Pick yer battles.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
$80 for 3-4 man hours, 3000 Sq ft house. Weekly. I'd like to cut back, but my wife has higher cleanliness standards. Pick yer battles.
Wow... I need to get your people... we tried to get quotes from 4 people... 2 were 'to busy' and the other two quoted $150 and $120 every two weeks.. and we have to provide the chemicals (add: they use WAY to much chemicals... a bottle of cleaner where you are supposed to use an ounce per gallon was half empty after only two cleanings)

I told my wife they were getting paid $20 per hour based on how long they stay and this is way to high... they also continue to move my 'stuff' which I hate...

The battle continues.....
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you're getting a deal. You'd pay twice that amount here in Seattle.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That sounds about right.

We pay $50 for 2-story 2,700 ft2 house. In a podunk town in NW Washington. We are happy and she is happy.

We also pay the same for a ~1,000 ft2 single-floor 2-br 2-bath flat in Baku, Azerbaijan. But that won't be much help to you.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
~2000 sf house in about 2 hours, for $67. They did things we typically let slide, like cleaning baseboards, polishing appliances, washing hard floors, etc., as well as the usual vac & dust routine.
That's a good deal, especially for two people. I live in the Midwest and have paid from $65-120 for someone to come in and clean my 2500 SF house every other week. Needless to say the one charging me $120 is long gone, and I'm using the $65 person, same great results.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious if the folks getting the low prices are using a self employed person or a service/company? I am tempted to find someone from my neighborhood who is a stay at home wife or grandma (or SAH husband or grandfather so as to not sound sexist... ). Work it out to pay them about $10-12/hr. Near me there is a large population of folks who I assume are ok with informal employment relationships and many of the womenfolk seem not to work during the day (judging from the population at my kid's elementary school in the neighborhood).
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #9

The lady we have used since DW was laid up from chemo charges $100 cash. We supply all materials needed. You're getting a good deal at $67. I would have ended the outside cleaning costs a year ago, but DW had other ideas. Now the cleaner has lost her real job,and DW won't let me end it. Caution note to self: avoid personal attachments with hired workers unless you want another family member and all the baggage that goes with it.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm curious if the folks getting the low prices are using a self employed person or a service/company? I am tempted to find someone from my neighborhood who is a stay at home wife or grandma (or SAH husband or grandfather so as to not sound sexist... ). Work it out to pay them about $10-12/hr. Near me there is a large population of folks who I assume are ok with informal employment relationships and many of the womenfolk seem not to work during the day (judging from the population at my kid's elementary school in the neighborhood).

As noted, ours is not low, but we do have a individual who hires some help... she or her son is always there. The neighbor uses a service and has had things come up missing a few times, but it is cheaper at $100 every two weeks if I wanted to go that route.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Near me there is a large population of folks who I assume are ok with informal employment relationships...
Just don't run for president...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ours is self-employed.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
That sounds about right.

We pay $50 for 2-story 2,700 ft2 house. In a podunk town ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
That's a good deal, especially for two people. I live in the Midwest and have paid from $65-120 for someone to come in and clean my 2500 SF house ...
I should clarify that ours was a one-time on-line deal. Price quoted for future cleanings was $160, which works out to $40/mh, way too high, I think, even though they used their own equipment & supplies. We're in a smallish town in central VA.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine are self employed (mother/daughter team, mother has way better work-ethic). They would charge us $120 if we moved them back to every other week. We are in suburban PA, midstate.

The weekly declutter so the cleaning ladies can clean fire drill is more of a bother than the fee. But again, my cleanliness standards are pretty low.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay about $122.00 every other week; 3200sf house, takes about 3 hours. I love this time it frees up for me, but DW keeps trying to get rid of it, I have been able to convince her that it frees up so much time for us to be together and do stuff we like.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #16

We have a 3,300 sq ft house, only the two of us so not a big mess, and it cost $80 every two weeks. Until I am ER'ed I will continue to splurge on this indulgence. It is the best money I send.