House Constructed with Dryvit

freedomatlast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're looking at possibly purchasing a house that was built in 1984 and the exterior of the house was constructed with Dryvit and areas of Ceder. It looks to be in good condition but I've read plenty of horror stories about moisture entrapment behind Dryvit causing mold and rot that may be tough to detect until major damage has been done. In fact, the disclosures around here make the seller disclose if Dryvit or other synthetic stucco has been used.

Of course if we move forward, we would make an offer contingent upon an inspection by someone who is an expert in this area, but the other issue is when it comes time to sell, it may be tough to move the house because of public perception of this product.

The location, layout and other features suit us perfectly, and except for crazy high property taxes, it's a good fit for us.

Anyone here have any experience or perspective on this subject?

Last edited:
Don't know what climate you are in but-------ask the local exterminators/pest control people about termites......with that material.

After losing big $ on our first 2 houses years ago due to legal entanglements, we have learned to not even look at a property if there is the slightest wiff of concerns such as this.

After losing big $ on our first 2 houses years ago due to legal entanglements, we have learned to not even look at a property if there is the slightest wiff of concerns such as this.
+1

Yep, the effective time to handle things like this is before you own them.

Ha

About 10 years after the synthetic stucco came out it was all being removed in our area. I believe there was class action/manufacturer support.I don't know if that has expired.We are in a rainy wet location. So the problems with flashing came up quickly.

If I really wanted the home I might make an offer subject to removal. Either by them or better by yourself. By yourself so that any underlying spots that might be problematic are addressed and not covered up.

The seller is in the same exact spot you are anticipating for yourself down the road. Make it their problem

Local climate is everything. House design is important. Installation is critical.
We renovated our previous house with EIFS (foam board + Dryvit synthetic stucco) in 1987.
We had ZERO problems in 24 years. (You cannot count the woodpeckers' love for our chimney.)
Why no problems?
Denver, Colorado has a dry climate.
Our installers were experts with EIFS.
Our house was a bungalow style with large overhangs.
Exterior_Front_01_780px.jpg

The problem with Dryvit was not the product, but with the quality of installations--by workers without training. There were so many problems that demand for a house sided with stucco is now about zero.

My Atlanta area house had Dryvit around the garage doors and on the street side of the second story--including dormers. The siding at the ground was covered by dirt, and I had a small termite infestation. I cut the siding up 8" to where the concrete foundation was showing enough to watch for termite tunnels. After I treated the area, no problems were ever experienced.

Do yourself a great favor and go find another house to purchase.

Tiny hijack to say that your house is beautiful.
Former house. Which took 63 showings, 26 open houses and 7 months to sell in 2010-2011 thanks to the 100% buyers' market at that time.
No hijack intent.

Our current house (8 years old, duplex) is also synthetic stucco (Parex), but not EIFS.
So far, no problems. Even with zero overhangs.
3968_Vrain_20180701_01%20FrontPatio.jpg

Not big on stucco, even the traditional way.

The (painted white) 1920s house next door had a stucco finish (ours was standard brick veneer)

I remember it became dingy looking unless sandblasted & repainted every few years.

Not big on stucco, even the traditional way.
The (painted white) 1920s house next door had a stucco finish
I remember it became dingy looking unless sandblasted & repainted every few years.
Synthetic stucco is very different.
1. The color is built in. You never paint.
2. It can be easily washed, if necessary.
3. It is plastic (epoxy) and not lime.

And, I would never want it in North Carolina as it is way too wet there.

All, thanks for the replies. You reinforced what I was thinking and have I decided not to consider that property.

Back
Top Bottom