Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have someone who comes in every two weeks, stays about 5 hours and we pay her $80. We have a 4 bed, 2ba apt in So. California.

Hiring the housekeeper was the best thing we ever did. No more having to spend our free time doing housework. The free hours we do have are much more enjoyably spent.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #22

Be sure and get a personal reference on whomever you pick. Apparently, the new scam is to steal the homeowner's identity instead of their stuff. The cleaning person may be from a reputable company and may even be bonded but her boyfriend isn't.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

In Dallas area, it seems I pay $50 for 2 hours of time every other week, and I pay for a vacation visit (I pay, she doesn't come), and I pay $50 for a Xmas bonus. Now the only visible, to me, things that she does is vacuum the carpets, mop the kitchen and 3 bathroom floors, and hallway, and apparently do something to the toilets as there is soapy water in them after she leaves. Not sure what else she does, but the real measurement is DW says she sure is glad that Fxxx comes in and it makes her feel better that her house is clean (?). Result DW smiles a lot and thanks me profusely - all in all, seems like a bargain to me.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a single guy and I don't understand this thread.
My house 2700sq ft. doesn't get so dirty I have to get someone to clean it.
I mean it might take me 30 minutes a month max - excluding laundry.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #25

Here in No. Virginia we found a lady from El Salvador who cleans every two weeks for $90 (cash only, wink, wink). She usually has another lady with her, sometimes two. They spend about 3 hours cleaning our 1800 sq ft house and do a nice job without breaking things. This includes polishing the hardwood floors, vacuuming, etc, but not making the bed. DW is a bit of an obsessive/compulsive so if she is satisfied with the job they do, you know they are good.

We are both retired and could do the cleaning ourselves but I've had back surgery and DW had neck surgery so we decided it was well worth the cost to have someone else do the major cleaning tasks.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
i'll send my kids, dog, their snacks, toys and laundry over for a few days so you can get it...

they're really cute, so if they move some stuff around, drop a few crumbs (which the dog is great for - he cleans em all up right away!) you won't mind...

they just need dinner by 6pm, a bath by 8pm, brush their teeth (brushing 18 mth old's teeth is super fun! ha!) a story and it's nite nite time...eazy peazy
Old 07-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #27

She came by yesterday and did a total house cleaning (higher price than usual maintenence fee) and i am happy as a clam.

And guess what? i wiped up after myself this morning when the coffee grinds floated out from opening the grinder (which there was a 50/50 chance of before) and my SO made sure all of his little hair droppings from shaving disappeared promptly after. so if we can keep this up for the two weeks between cleanings, there's hope for my house! he he he
Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have little, if any hope. But my 2.5 year old LOVES having his teeth brushed.

And he's good about cleaning up. Heck, a little while ago he bought me his diaper with most of the poop still in it. Sigh.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I have little, if any hope.

cfb, have we actually met?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We are united in the quiet desperation of parenting small high speed entropy machines.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I'm single as well, and to be honest I don't clean any more than you do (other than laundry and dishes). I thought it had something to do with declining visual acuity in my late 50's, combined with low light conditions in my home. Probably my house is really dirty, but I don't see it so it doesn't bother me.

Could it be that I don't see the dirt because it isn't there? Now there's a nice thought.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #32

Quote:
We are united in the quiet desperation of parenting small cute high speed entropy machines.
minor correction...if they weren't cute, the population would rapidly decline...
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

$75 per cleaning for 2800 sq house. Takes about 5 hours and we have service every 2 weeks.

Just today, though, we're switching to once a month to free up some $$ for kids dance lessons. Not to mention $2000 per yr could be a vacation. All about balance.

With both the wife and I working, having the house cleaned is a BIG time safer and it keeps the wifey happy. Having pets and kids it's hard keeping a clean house.

JD
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

How to retire 2 years sooner. Clean your own house for 25 years.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
hmm...2 years vs 25...

if you said 2 years gained for every 5 - i'd think a lot harder about it...or at least the weaning off/child labor plan!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Could it be that I don't see the dirt because it isn't there? Now there's a nice thought.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We are united in the quiet desperation of parenting small high speed entropy machines.
My house cleaning expenses cost me 1/2 my net worth! (DW)
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

You are apparently late for my standard husband advice that 1) your wife is always right, 2) if your wife isnt right, you arent right either, 3) if you're not sure whats going on, apologize immediately and sincerely.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I have had the housekeeper longer than the husband....25 years vs. 18 years. I attribute our long happy marriage and successful careers to her care of our home (and laundry). I doubt I would have been able to concentrate and apply myself to my job if I had not had her here. Every hard working couple needs a wife at home! Spending money on housekeeping as opposed to a divorce is a no brainer....
We pay her $200 cash monthly, she averages between $7-10 per hour, gets holidays off with pay and has magazine and leftover priviledges.
Even though we are now retired she still comes, only now we are in her way. I intend to let her decide when she leaves, she is 67 now and still needs the income.
2fer
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
minor correction...if they weren't cute, the population would rapidly decline...
Indeed. His cuteness has reduced the number of times that I've told my wife "I know why some animals eat their own young" to one instance.