Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
And that would be in N'Walins?
Yes, on Fontainebleau in New Orleans. But its architecture provides enough elevation that I don't think it was flooded during Katrina. I could be wrong. The area was flooded about 6'-8' above street level. It looked about the same from the outside before Katrina, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
I like just about anything that's small and remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Yep, that would work just fine for me too.
I wouldn't mind small. But how remote can most people stand? It means lack of much modern life conveniences. It is true that with modern technology, one can be off the grid and still have electricity. Ditto for Internet and TV via satellites. But how about cooking and heating fuel? Will one get purchase delivery via FedEx or UPS? Where's the nearest Post Office or public library, etc...

I have read blogs of some people who homestead in the NorthEast. These are really hardy souls and I admire them. But I am just too urban to imagine myself living such a lifestyle.

When we bought our 2nd home in the AZ high country, which is not at all remote in the sense described above, we thought that we might retire there. Then, once we lived there for a while, although we had not set foot in a shopping mall in a long time, we realized that we missed little convenient things like the better stocked libraries of the metropolitan area, like shopping for food at Trader Joe's, like getting some international food items from ethnic grocery stores, etc... So, there goes our plan of downsizing to one home.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #23

I looked at the Deltec plans when we built our house but decided to go with a design from an architect friend instead. The interior walls just seemed to be too odd in the end.

I love the look of modern stuff like the container houses, but also the traditional ones favored by W2R and others. Probably why I ended up with a more typical design.

I'm also fascinated by vernacular architecture, especially the old styles with dogtrots between living spaces for natural ventilation. And I loved the gers (yurts) we saw in Mongolia. I may wind up with a whole village of small structures on our property one day to accommodate my tastes!

Here's what we wound up with, not perfect, but perfect for us--hip roof and square, with 10 foot porches front and back extending the length of the house (50 ft).
And one of a typical tourist ger in the Gobi Desert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04763.jpg (648.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01918.JPG (250.1 KB, 1 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I Love looking at house and the one's you all posted are wonderful! Thanks. I really like Nords solar panels
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wouldn't mind small. But how remote can most people stand? It means lack of much modern life conveniences. It is true that with modern technology, one can be off the grid and still have electricity. Ditto for Internet and TV via satellites. But how about cooking and heating fuel? Will one get purchase delivery via FedEx or UPS? Where's the nearest Post Office or public library, etc...
I hear you. Lucky for me, I don't think rural northeast living is for most people.

Solar/wind/hydro power requires money and a lot of know-how and elbow-grease. Wood heat requires strong arms and a penchant for chilly mornings. You have to shovel a foot of snow off the walk-way only to shovel two more feet three days later. The mosquitoes can be brutal. Satellite or cellular internet are slower, less reliable and more expensive than land-line options. And if you want some hard-to-find products, books or food you have to order them off the internet and be patient. You have to save theater, dining out and funky shops for the occasional weekend trips to Montreal, Boston or New York.

And god forbid you need an emergency trip to a hospital.

It's almost hard to believe that there's anyone who values the extreme solitude, independence, and peace & quiet enough to put up with it all. Nice to meet ya!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, it would cost a lot of money to get a piece of land with such a water view in the Puget Sound, leave alone the cost of erecting a house like the photo below.
You be sure to tell me when I should start holding my breath for your arrival, please?

Ha
Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You be sure to tell me when I should start holding my breath for your arrival, please?
The Dow needs to get back to 14,000 first, so it might be a while...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Dow needs to get back to 14,000 first, so it might be a while...
Hey, it could happen, Meanwhile this might help you endure...

Ha
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The more realistic plan, and I have mentioned it earlier, is to drive my RV up there to play squatter.

Sadly, even that humble plan has been delayed...