Join Early Retirement Today

Houses
Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Houses

NW-bound posted photos of a cool turf-roofed house on the Myers-Briggs thread a couple of days ago. Helped by a hint from Tesaje, I found pictures of those and other similar houses online. It turns out they are at an open-air folk museum in Skogar, Iceland. I liked that picture so much, I decided to post a link to my all-time favorite house photo, which almost makes me expect to see Gaffer Gamgee digging his taties in the back garden. Sorry, but I can't figure out how to make the photo itself appear on this page. There's more information about how the house was built than last time I visited the site. It only cost about Ł3000 to build. I think it's amazing what a lot of skill can do with only a little money.

What's your favorite house?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't find the picture I want - am thinking of a large, airy ultra-modern in what looks more like a park than a yard.

But I love hobbit-style homes, too, including the pictures you've shared, kyounge1956. Suspect it's the anthropologist in me....fascinated by the dwellings that other people and cultures create.

I'm fond of our home, because it reflects the people who live in it. Although it looks like every other "brick-front colonial" on the East Coast, the interior is full of eclectic stuff we have collected, while our 3.5-acre yard is full of trees and shrubs that we planted ourselves, tend and defend, and almost know personally. We would have preferred a modern-style home, but local builders wouldn't touch them during the 1990's and we never had architect money.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I have little appreciation for modern architecture. I personally tend to prefer houses that are symmetrical and unadorned (though some styles I like feature some pleasing asymmetry).

Here are a few traditional styles that I like:

The Colonial home:

The Arts and Crafts bungalow:

The English Georgian style home:

The "Mas de Provence":

The traditional Swiss Chalet:

The French "Maison de Maitre":

Fisherman's house in Britanny:

Nordic House in Greenland:
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My favorite houses to look at, are not generally ones in which I would want to live.

As an extreme example, Neuschwanstein castle (see below). Breathtaking! Wow! Incredible! I think this is one of the most outstandingly beautiful structures in existence on earth.

But for me? Not so good. Too many stairs, location too remote, more room than I need (or want to clean), I want a garage, and imagine the maintenance headaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neuschwanstein%20castle.jpg (114.2 KB, 7 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here are some other cool houses. Below are some that I have photographed here in New Orleans, but still I would not live in any of them. The first house still had plywood up from Hurricane Gustav (I guess?) in 2008, when this photo was taken. The second house, with the tower, is where Napoleon stayed for some time so that adds to its charm for me. The third house is just a random pretty house in the Uptown neighborhood of New Orleans. I am still looking for my photos of my favorite house in New Orleans - - one that has won my heart and which we drive by frequently for that reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esplanade3.jpg (87.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg NapoleonsQuarters2.jpg (1.01 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-011F.JPG (344.2 KB, 5 views)

Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ah! Here it is - - my favorite house. The photo is not the best (click the image for a larger version. That helps.). The house has such mystery and grace, that does not come through in this photograph. I love the arches and so much about it. It is uninhabited and in ruins, and a large window on the left side has been covered with a black plastic tarp for at least 7 years that I know of. The cars in the driveway are all junked cars that I guess are there to make it look inhabited. My dream is that someone else (not me! ) will someday buy and restore this beautiful home.

It would not be practical for me to live in such a house, sadly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fontainebleaucropt.jpg (95.3 KB, 31 views)

Northern NJ houses
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Northern NJ houses

The gray house is the one my mother's family rented 1/2 of, when they first emigrated from Dublin to northern NJ around 1930. They paid $25 a month (according to the census).
The 2 houses with wrap-around fronts are typical architecture in Morristown, NJ. I haven't seen these kinds of facades outside of NJ.
The maroon house is a little number in Spring Lake, NJ. What fascinated me about this house was the color-coordinated landscaping (which extends around all 4 sides).

Amethyst
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keena Home 1930s Morristown.jpg (691.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Morristown Nov 07.jpg (803.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Morristown1 Nov 07.jpg (733.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Spring Lake Maroon House Sep 09.jpg (817.9 KB, 4 views)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Cabin
Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Cabin

I like just about anything that's small and remote.

cabin.jpg
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Here is an old estate home just outside of New Orleans that we admire. We would probably rent half of the downstairs and have more than sufficent space.

The next one is the last estate that we owned before downsizing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1050025.jpg (231.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cachet.jpg (83.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

OK, I think I figured out how to do it. This is a photo of the front entry. (photo appears under a Creative Commons license )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodland house front.jpg (860.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #11

glippy, I like that one too. Where is it?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What's your favorite house?
We're livin' in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All panels.JPG (124.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Side yard view toward Ko'olau mountains.jpg (342.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ko'olau sunrise.JPG (351.8 KB, 4 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

something like this

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post

Attachment 9542
Yeah, I would take that in a heart beat. Where's the nearest med store?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As an extreme example, Neuschwanstein castle (see below). Breathtaking! Wow! Incredible! I think this is one of the most outstandingly beautiful structures in existence on earth.
Well someone built this in the Texas Hill Country in the 90s www.falkensteincastle.com . It's taken from King Ludwig's plans found at Neuschwanstein. He had planned to build it at the site of a medieval ruin, but it never happened. Falkenstein Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's quite a shock to be driving a small country highway out in the middle of nowhere, come around a sweeping curve and see this!

Audrey
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

This would be my dream house . Maybe not as modern but definitely on a beach .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg malibu-california-beach-house.jpg (214.4 KB, 2 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I found many different styles of houses interesting, but the one I would call my dream home is a circular one, particularly one designed by a company called Deltec. It is a modular design that comes in different diameters, and you can stack 1, 2, or 3 levels. Some owners use the bottom level for a garage.

The appeal to me is the walk-around balcony and the 360-deg view.

Of course, it would cost a lot of money to get a piece of land with such a water view in the Puget Sound, leave alone the cost of erecting a house like the photo below.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post

Attachment 9542
Yep, that would work just fine for me too.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in love with shipping containers as a construction material and really like the 12 Container House by Adam Kalkin:

I have more modest 4-6 container plans sketched out on graph paper of imaginary houses I'd love to build someday, heh.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ah! Here it is - - my favorite house. The photo is not the best (click the image for a larger version. That helps.). The house has such mystery and grace, that does not come through in this photograph. I love the arches and so much about it. It is uninhabited and in ruins, and a large window on the left side has been covered with a black plastic tarp for at least 7 years that I know of. The cars in the driveway are all junked cars that I guess are there to make it look inhabited. My dream is that someone else (not me! ) will someday buy and restore this beautiful home.

It would not be practical for me to live in such a house, sadly.
And that would be in N'Walins?