Houston ER.org meeting 9/26/10

Attachments

• fire ant saloon.jpg
    fire ant saloon.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1
Hiya, Nords. Hope you realize I was just teasing!!
I know, you were afraid we'd mixed you up with Sarah in SC (just kidding!).

Seriously, mods, perhaps the next update to vBulletin could allow sorting by the "State" column as well as by the other member-database fields, or searching for keywords like "Sugarland". Or is there a setting that could be turned on now?

This sucks. I won't be in town :(
I'm sorry we're going to miss you, too, I didn't even realize you'd gone back to the Mainland. And is that a rocker I see with those chevrons? Congratulations!

I do not remember seeing the Armadillia there before... but I have not been down there in a few years...
Coming from a state without billboards, I was going to ask Harry how I'd find the place, but... never mind.

How late is it going to be...
I'll be there at 3 PM and I don't have any events on the schedule for the rest of the day. Spouse & kid will probably be single-handedly jump-starting the retail economy and they'll eat their own dinner near Galleria shopping, or who knows, they may be intrigued by the idea of armadillo fajitas.

I don't know if my nephew the Army Ranger is able to make it or not, and he probably won't know until Saturday afternoon either. I'm under the impression that he'd have a bit of a drive to get home at a reasonable hour, but I live on a 30x40 island so everywhere you guys go seems like a bit of a drive.

... and how do we know who is who:confused:
I can't speak for Leonidas, but just how many middle-aged balding ponytailed guys wearing a surf t-shirt and slippers are there in Houston?

You could try what REWahoo did a few years back at another E-R.org chapter meeting: just stand near the entrance and loudly announce that you've decided to pay off your mortgage. I'm pretty sure that a sudden hush will fall over the place. Then you can head for the table where the argument breaks out.

Keep in mind there are two Goode Co. bbq places on Kirby, and I think they are about two blocks apart. I have not been to the Armadillo, but it should not be hard to find. I think it is the northern one, with Goode. Co Barbecue the south. I don't know if they are on the same side of the street.

Keep in mind there are two Goode Co. bbq places on Kirby, and I think they are about two blocks apart. I have not been to the Armadillo, but it should not be hard to find. I think it is the northern one, with Goode. Co Barbecue the south. I don't know if they are on the same side of the street.

Last time I was there... they had three... one was seafood, one burgers etc. and the other BBQ.... If this is the one to the north it is the burger... got it... but I do not remember the statue... maybe I went in the back way and never saw it... they are on different sides...

So is there a body count? Any females going to be there?

Looks like we may have up to a dozen, including several long-time members.

Yes on the females, although the numbers are low. I've heard from one whose out of town plans recently changed and sounds very interested. And at least one definite attendee will be there with his DW.

We need to get more balance...calling all Houston newbies and female members.

Speaking of females, I did get this unexpected response from one of the female members:

Please keep me posted on date/venue. It would be great to meet you. We have a three-year-old daughter who would have to tag along, conceived in ER. Brings a whole new perspective to questions like wadda ya do all day? Nobody dare ask us that these days!

I can't speak for Leonidas, but just how many middle-aged balding ponytailed guys wearing a surf t-shirt and slippers are there in Houston?

if you were to sport a lavalava it may be a little easier to find you.

i'm still working out some details on my schedule, but am skeptical I can make it. it's such a bummer, i wanted to meet everyone...sigh...next time i suppose. i hope you all have a good time.

:blush: Well, I have to own up to being the one with the 3 year-old daughter, see Htown Harry's post above.

It would be great to see some of the female forum members and the wives of the male ones on Sunday. (And the men, of course!)

Unfortunately, DH (also a forum member, now non posting, but he does secretly lurk occasionally - F M All) won't be able to attend as he has to drive our son up to Denton for the day, >500 mile round trip!

Looking forward to Sunday....

jj

DW and I plan on attending. We will actually make a grand daughters cross country meet on Sat. stay over and see you all on Sunday.

Sounds like a great idea! I'm just not sure whether to wear cowboy boots with that... or running shoes for my escape.

you should be fine in the slippers. just make sure you are packin'! :whistle:

Me...with my DH. I've mentioned the forum to him...briefly...so I'm not sure he knows what he's getting into.

Come to think of it, I don't know that I know what I'm getting into....:LOL:

So what's with the "slippers"? Is this some kinda Hawaiian dude thing?
I believe you Mainlanders refer to them as flipflops! $5.49 at Long's for the cool pebbled-sole version with "Locals" embossed on the straps. I keep a pair at every entrance to the house.

The actual pronunciation of the term is "rubbah slippahs". It's part of the TSS apparel ensemble-- "t-shirt, shorts, & slippers". But if the air conditioning is pumping then I'll probably be wearing jeans and a windbreaker instead...

Geez, I hope those guys don't have a footwear dress code.

Last edited:
I believe you Mainlanders refer to them as flipflops! $5.49 at Long's for the cool pebbled-sole version with "Locals" embossed on the straps. I keep a pair at every entrance to the house.

The actual pronunciation of the term is "rubbah slippahs". It's part of the TSS apparel ensemble-- "t-shirt, shorts, & slippers". But if the air conditioning is pumping then I'll probably be wearing jeans and a windbreaker instead...

Geez, I hope those guys don't have a footwear dress code.

We have enough people around here that wear flip flops that you see them all the time... I remember a long time ago there was someone who posted a pic with them wearing them with socks...

We have enough people around here that wear flip flops that you see them all the time... I remember a long time ago there was someone who posted a pic with them wearing them with socks...

growing up in minnesota, it was acceptable in my small junior high to wear socks with sandals. when i moved to arizona, i found out this was regarded as an unforgiveable fashion faux pas, along with wearing shorts all year round.

it's also acceptable to wear flip flops to the white house, i remember a softball team sporting flip flops in 1600.

i wear what i like to restaurants around here...

Ahhh....slippers=flip flops. Thanks. DH and I wear flips pretty much year round. Do slip on some boots when the snow's over 12" though.

flops are what kids call them nowadays, as in "I wore my flops in the car, then changed into my cleats at practice."

flops are what kids call them nowadays, as in "I wore my flops in the car, then changed into my cleats at practice."

Anyone remember calling flip-flops zories? That was the term we used back when I was a kid about a gillion years ago;)

I thought I'd post to let the attendees know that I won't be at the meet. I'm leaving this evening for Austin to visit my daughters at UT. I'm not sure what time I'll be back in town on Sunday evening, so I'll send my regrets. Hope you all have a blast!

Anyone remember calling flip-flops zories? That was the term we used back when I was a kid about a gillion years ago;)

That is the Japanese term, the Japanese even have socks with the big toe separate from the rest of the sock to allow wearing with zoris.

When I was young we called them whore boots, as my town had a big prostitution and gambling industry. None of us had ever seen this footwear except on prostitutes, going out in their mumus of a morning to buy their milk and eggs.

Some time later in LA I saw that everyone wore them to the beach, and that they were called zoris.

Ha

Our kid seems to be doing great, although she won't have her four-week exam grades until next week. I'm gonna predict that we launched this one and she's not coming back.

She likes civil engineering, she likes NROTC, and she's putting up with the "big three" of chemistry, physics, and calculus. Chemistry & physics labs have been tacked on to that schedule. (The Kumon math program and the high-school AP classes are beginning to pay off.) 16 credit hours with 12 hours/week mandatory study (courtesy of NROTC) and another 10 or so with various TAs & study groups. She's made a good group of friends (who actually want to be in school!) and the NROTC unit seems to be doing a fine job.

The rest of the visit is going well. We attended a hilarious physics class on Friday. (College is lots of fun when you're auditing. The other students shared substantially less of my enjoyment.) We got the usual campus tour and dorm-room redesign seminars. We survived a life-threatening torrential downpour that came out of nowhere yesterday around noon, thoroughly soaked us during a five-minute hike to the Jones servery, and then cleared up as soon as we'd gotten under shelter. No, I didn't pack an umbrella, I never get rained on like that in Hawaii.

Houston traffic is, to put it politely, insane.

We'll be at Saturday's 11 AM powderpuff football game followed by the 4:30 PM tailgater BBQ for the Rice-Baylor game. I've been informed that we won't be at the evening game due to urgent shopping-related dorm-room deficiencies. (My gosh does Hawaii need an IKEA.) Apparently these same shopping issues will require most of Sunday to resolve, and of course I'll see the ER chapter group that afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom