Join Early Retirement Today

Houston ER.org meeting 9/26/10
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Houston ER.org meeting 9/26/10

In honor of a soon-to-be-famous ER author visiting our fair city the last weekend of September, we will be holding a meeting of the Houston "chapter" on Sunday the 26th.

We will come to order around 3 at a place inside the loop licensed to serve food and drink.

Complete disorganization will begin around 3:15, after I ask for advice about paying off my mortgage.

I have sent PM's to those known to be from 'round here, with good results.

Who may be coming? Well, there is rono way to be sure - it's just too soon to tell. In any case, I'm expecting it will be no nordinary day. Here in Htown - all the way up to rustic Lake Livingston - we are Texas proud. We expect some laughing out loud, maybe even enough to make teer-uhs run down your face. Aland his buddy the four-wheeler dude said maybe not, but if all the ER's like Leo (or even you ER's 2 be) could come, it would be the cat's meow.

Spouses, SO's and hill country residents are also welcome to come, of course, unless they are annuity salesmen.

If I missed you and you are interested, please drop me a line via PM.

HH
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The main reason we're coming to Houston is to haul & deliver another hundred pounds of our kid's possessions. (She thinks she's upgrading her dorm room and her "winter" wardrobe, but we're actually surreptitiously evicting her from her previous squatter's address.) It's not much more expensive to have two adults courier checked luggage on a passenger flight than it is to ship it via parcel post.

For those of you who think it's a good thing to wander around Rice's campus, we tentatively plan to be at the colleges on Friday. I'm not sure that our kid wants Mommy & Daddy in her classrooms but we might be tolerated for a dorm tour and a servery meal. NROTC might have something going on that day as well. OTOH it'll be the day after the first of her four-week exams so she may be on academic restriction.

Saturday morning we'll be back for coffee with the masters followed by the powderpuff football game. (Our black-belt daughter has never even seen a powderpuff but she really enjoys "pancaking" the opposing players.) I'm not sure what we're doing for lunch (another servery?) but we're going to attend the tailgate BBQ, hopefully accompanied by my nephew the Army Ranger.

However being true to your school only goes so deep. I've been informed that we're going to be absent from the Rice-Baylor game in order to catch up on some severe shopping deficits. Sunday will be more of the same and I'm not too optimistic about Monday either...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't call it a "servery". It's a Commons. As in, "Did you eat in the Commons last night?"
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Don't call it a "servery". It's a Commons. As in, "Did you eat in the Commons last night?"
Get ready for "say it ain't so!", LOL. This changed back in the 90's, I believe, for most of the colleges.

The good news: they distributed the food preparation out to the "serveries" and killed the Central Kitchen, where for a generation Rice prepared food for the whole campus and tried to keep it edible warm as it was shipped around to the colleges.

The food quality and selection probably got better, but I assume one casualty was the family-style dinner. Now the students push a tray down the line at a shared cafeteria like at most other universities?

Back in the day, breakfast and lunch in each of the eight college commons was served cafeteria-style, but all of the students living in each college assembled in the commons at 6 for announcements, introduction of guests and a sit-down dinner. Everybody ate whatever CK had on the menu that night.

The probability of a Brussel Sprouts War breaking out was reduced substantially, no doubt.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Bummer. I ate most of my dinners at CK. We had our own chef and often did not eat the same food served in the commons. BTW, not all hot food was prepared at CK and shipped out.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
In honor of a soon-to-be-famous ER author visiting our fair city the last weekend of September, we will be holding a meeting of the Houston "chapter" on Sunday the 26th.
I hope you all have a grand time! I won't be there in person but will be there in spirit. I hope someone takes some pictures to share. We also need some good stories. I just know interesting things will happen with our Texas members in attendance

Here's my favorite song about the Great State of Texas. You know how I am - I have to find a song for every occasion

"They've got big, long roads out there"...

Old 09-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Don't call it a "servery".
Ah, I love a few good rounds of "Well, when I was a plebe"...

(Cue the Four Yorkshiremen.)

I'm just parroting the language. All my Rice vocabulary comes from our short visit there, from the Families Weekend schedule, and from stalking our kid's Facebook posts.

Heck, we might not be invited back until graduation. I'm sure we're going to have an interesting discussion about the proper semantics & etiquette of important social events like "Getcheroxoff", "The Candy Shoppe", and the Friday-evening "Screw Your Roomate". But I'm pretty sure that I don't want to see what she wore to "The Campus 80s Party". Spouse has been wondering about the stuff missing from her closet...

I've also been warned that when our kid's wearing her NROTC uniform she looks like her mother. I guess it's better than looking like me.

It's nice to see that some college traditions never change. I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the drinking age in Texas is 21, even inside the colleges. And I'm pretty sure that it's at least 18!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

still 18 in Texas... but most of the college kids don't read the law well...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
still 18 in Texas...
Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #10

Drinking age in Texas is 21, and I am pretty sure that applies on private college campuses. However, it may be a law may be violated at on some campuses..
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ah, I love a few good rounds of "Well, when I was a plebe"...
You might like this then ...

Way back when ... Willy's Pub was reported to have the third largest on-premises consumption of beer in the city of Houston. Only ahead of it were the Astrodome football stadium and The Summit basketball stadium. Rice was truly a party school.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In the first sentence it states 21... I do not see any exceptions...

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CODE
CHAPTER 106. PROVISIONS RELATING TO AGE

§ 106.01. DEFINITION. In this code, "minor" means a person under 21 years of age.

Now, someone younger than 21 CAN drink if the parent, guardian or spouse (who is 21 or older) give them the drink and is in their presence...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

Here's my favorite song about the Great State of Texas. You know how I am - I have to find a song for every occasion

I've always been a wannabe Texan! Here's my favorite:

"That's Right You're Not from Texas"...

Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A Houston trip is doable, but I'm still a w*rking stiff, so party on without me...

As for songs about Texas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I've always been a wannabe Texan! Here's my favorite:
And here's mine:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh dear. I must not be on the "A" list.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Oh dear. I must not be on the "A" list.
Sarah, my apologies. Htown Harry and I were going from our foggy memories of three years ago and a (clearly incomplete) search of poster locations. The member's list can't be sorted by location.

You're on our list now! You still might not be on the "A" list, but at least you're a member of this group...

Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hiya, Nords. Hope you realize I was just teasing!!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This sucks. I won't be in town
Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
sorry that was a typo - of course it is 21, but the latter part of the statement is still true...