Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Location selected.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like the perfect location.

Sorry I can't be there but Eweston is a 7 hour round-trip drive and I have developed an acute aversion to H-town traffic.

Looking forward to the mandatory posting of group photos.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like the perfect location.
Actually, this was third choice - Chigger City and Scorpion's Hideout were booked.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious.... is this a new place on Kirby

I do not remember seeing the Armadillia there before... but I have not been down there in a few years...

And I might be late if the game is interesting.... BTW, who put in a bet that Houston would be 2-0 and Dallas 0-2 at this time

How late is it going to be... and how do we know who is who
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
... and how do we know who is who
Just look for a table where everyone is wearing a dryer sheet yarmulke...
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Actually, this was third choice - Chigger City and Scorpion's Hideout were booked.
Hey, I hear this place is still available...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire ant saloon.jpg (40.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hiya, Nords. Hope you realize I was just teasing!!
I know, you were afraid we'd mixed you up with Sarah in SC (just kidding!).

Seriously, mods, perhaps the next update to vBulletin could allow sorting by the "State" column as well as by the other member-database fields, or searching for keywords like "Sugarland". Or is there a setting that could be turned on now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Ninja View Post
This sucks. I won't be in town
I'm sorry we're going to miss you, too, I didn't even realize you'd gone back to the Mainland. And is that a rocker I see with those chevrons? Congratulations!

Quote:
I do not remember seeing the Armadillia there before... but I have not been down there in a few years...
Coming from a state without billboards, I was going to ask Harry how I'd find the place, but... never mind.

Quote:
How late is it going to be...
I'll be there at 3 PM and I don't have any events on the schedule for the rest of the day. Spouse & kid will probably be single-handedly jump-starting the retail economy and they'll eat their own dinner near Galleria shopping, or who knows, they may be intrigued by the idea of armadillo fajitas.

I don't know if my nephew the Army Ranger is able to make it or not, and he probably won't know until Saturday afternoon either. I'm under the impression that he'd have a bit of a drive to get home at a reasonable hour, but I live on a 30x40 island so everywhere you guys go seems like a bit of a drive.

Quote:
... and how do we know who is who
I can't speak for Leonidas, but just how many middle-aged balding ponytailed guys wearing a surf t-shirt and slippers are there in Houston?

You could try what REWahoo did a few years back at another E-R.org chapter meeting: just stand near the entrance and loudly announce that you've decided to pay off your mortgage. I'm pretty sure that a sudden hush will fall over the place. Then you can head for the table where the argument breaks out.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #28

Keep in mind there are two Goode Co. bbq places on Kirby, and I think they are about two blocks apart. I have not been to the Armadillo, but it should not be hard to find. I think it is the northern one, with Goode. Co Barbecue the south. I don't know if they are on the same side of the street.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Keep in mind there are two Goode Co. bbq places on Kirby, and I think they are about two blocks apart. I have not been to the Armadillo, but it should not be hard to find. I think it is the northern one, with Goode. Co Barbecue the south. I don't know if they are on the same side of the street.

Last time I was there... they had three... one was seafood, one burgers etc. and the other BBQ.... If this is the one to the north it is the burger... got it... but I do not remember the statue... maybe I went in the back way and never saw it... they are on different sides...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

So is there a body count? Any females going to be there?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Looks like we may have up to a dozen, including several long-time members.

Yes on the females, although the numbers are low. I've heard from one whose out of town plans recently changed and sounds very interested. And at least one definite attendee will be there with his DW.

We need to get more balance...calling all Houston newbies and female members.

Speaking of females, I did get this unexpected response from one of the female members:

Quote:
Please keep me posted on date/venue. It would be great to meet you. We have a three-year-old daughter who would have to tag along, conceived in ER. Brings a whole new perspective to questions like wadda ya do all day? Nobody dare ask us that these days!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I can't speak for Leonidas, but just how many middle-aged balding ponytailed guys wearing a surf t-shirt and slippers are there in Houston?
if you were to sport a lavalava it may be a little easier to find you.

i'm still working out some details on my schedule, but am skeptical I can make it. it's such a bummer, i wanted to meet everyone...sigh...next time i suppose. i hope you all have a good time.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I have to own up to being the one with the 3 year-old daughter, see Htown Harry's post above.

It would be great to see some of the female forum members and the wives of the male ones on Sunday. (And the men, of course!)

Unfortunately, DH (also a forum member, now non posting, but he does secretly lurk occasionally - F M All) won't be able to attend as he has to drive our son up to Denton for the day, >500 mile round trip!

Looking forward to Sunday....

jj
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #34

DW and I plan on attending. We will actually make a grand daughters cross country meet on Sat. stay over and see you all on Sunday.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
if you were to sport a lavalava it may be a little easier to find you.
Sounds like a great idea! I'm just not sure whether to wear cowboy boots with that... or running shoes for my escape.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea! I'm just not sure whether to wear cowboy boots with that... or running shoes for my escape.
you should be fine in the slippers. just make sure you are packin'!
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me...with my DH. I've mentioned the forum to him...briefly...so I'm not sure he knows what he's getting into.

Come to think of it, I don't know that I know what I'm getting into....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
you should be fine in the slippers. just make sure you are packin'!
So what's with the "slippers"? Is this some kinda Hawaiian dude thing?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
So what's with the "slippers"? Is this some kinda Hawaiian dude thing?
I believe you Mainlanders refer to them as flipflops! $5.49 at Long's for the cool pebbled-sole version with "Locals" embossed on the straps. I keep a pair at every entrance to the house.

The actual pronunciation of the term is "rubbah slippahs". It's part of the TSS apparel ensemble-- "t-shirt, shorts, & slippers". But if the air conditioning is pumping then I'll probably be wearing jeans and a windbreaker instead...

Geez, I hope those guys don't have a footwear dress code.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe you Mainlanders refer to them as flipflops! $5.49 at Long's for the cool pebbled-sole version with "Locals" embossed on the straps. I keep a pair at every entrance to the house.

The actual pronunciation of the term is "rubbah slippahs". It's part of the TSS apparel ensemble-- "t-shirt, shorts, & slippers". But if the air conditioning is pumping then I'll probably be wearing jeans and a windbreaker instead...

Geez, I hope those guys don't have a footwear dress code.
We have enough people around here that wear flip flops that you see them all the time... I remember a long time ago there was someone who posted a pic with them wearing them with socks...