Join Early Retirement Today

How am I so busy in retirement
Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How am I so busy in retirement

Yesterday I started my morning delivering a bunch of stuff to my daughters new home. I then helped future SIL with another plumbing issue and I promptly left. Stopped at Home Depot and bought 10 bags of seed starting top soil @ $7 a bag. The good stuff is in thick plastic bags and is very consistent and contains fertilizer. Im not sure and frankly have my doubts about what is in the cheap stuff.

Back story: the triple screened top soil we used to cover the circle where the pool once stood didn’t exactly yield a bumper crop of grass. It was quite spotty. I only noticed how bad it was when I used a few leftover bags of the $7 stuff where he pine trees once stood. That area came up thick and lush as can be.

So I spent my afternoon over-seeding: filling the mini canyons the rain had formed with left over triple screen topsoil and then spreading the ten bags, tilling the soil and spreading seed. Even with all the rain we’ve had the ground there is hard so Ill have to put the sprinkler on it. The rest of the lawn is a lush, thick green oasis. It was a couple hours work and by the end I was feeling it. I managed to get it all done and I looked up to see several vultures circling. Thats when I knew it was time to stop.

The nasty next door neighbor have made it clear they are angry with me. Ill just say angry isnt a good way to go through life. The ugly pine trees had to go but they provided a nice privacy screen. It allowed for a new full sun garden that is doing awesome. I ordered on-line, received and planted a row ten of the “Rose of Sharon” First to delineate the property line and at some point in the future provide some privacy. I’m sure the neighbors aren’t happy with the big pile of retaining wall bricks that are in woods. Eventually I will make use of them elsewhere.

This morning I can leisurely drink my coffee not having to worry that I’d interfere with DD morning routine. She’s out. I’d say that was cause for celebration.. The Mrs. on the other hand would probably get teary eyed If I brought it up. I’d say circle of life...yada yada...

Cool hands deer mangled car is supposed to be finished tomorrow. I will be happy when he is no longer sharing our cars.

Stuff is getting done that I never had time for before.. Retirees can have well groomed lawns. I dont have to rush home to mow the lawn.. it is all too awesome.IMG_0341.jpg
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I loved raising my kids but definitely didn’t have empty nest syndrome. Our house is much neater without kids)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There is always something to do in retirement, or not! It's great that it is our choice.
Back yard looking good, ray. Nice greenhouse, too. The grass will fill in eventually. If the neighbors want trees, they can plant their own. Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I find myself very busy these days...I have yet to have a day when I couldn't find something to do. Our new home has a much larger yard the needs a lot of tending to. Right now, I am happy to do it since it keeps me active and is decent exercise. The rain has made it a bear though trying to keep the grass short without creating mud ruts everywhere, though.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My time is filled with idleness.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

It's easy to be busy when you can do whatever you want to do.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
It's easy to be busy when you can do whatever you want to do.
Exactly. Right now I am busy taking a rest after a late breakfast. Whew!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL - Just picked up an extra Habitat for Humanity ReStore shift tomorrow. It was nice to be able to help them with a last-minute need.

I find *juuust* the right amount of volunteer work makes my (plentiful!) idle time even sweetah...
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Seems things around the house break down and need repair or replacing a lot more since retired. Maybe I just notice more than when w*rking .
Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I recall a few years after my Dad retired we were driving to a golf course and I asked him "How's this retirement thing going?". He went on and on about how great it was and then said "I'm so busy I don't know how I ever found time to work."

As someone who was working 60+ hour weeks at the time, I remember thinking "That the biggest crock of BS that I have ever heard!".

Now, havign been retired for a while... I totally understand what he meant.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #11

The great part is even when I have a bunch of stuff to do in a given day I get it done and look at the clock and it is only 1 pm. Plenty of hammock time left!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Im guessing those who are retired do not budget their time as much...which makes it seem like you're busier.

Nothing wrong with a lot of wasted time. Thats the point. Do something in the morning, waste an hour or two away...do something in the afternoon, rinse and repeat.

Or...you can be like my genius in laws who are retired...go to the grocery store and run errands on the weekends...when all the working people are there. They still havent figured it out.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Retirees can have well groomed lawns. [/ATTACH]
DF was helping haul home 3000 sq ft worth of sisters families belongings. I popped over to help them unload. DF said, what you didn't have time to mow my lawn when I was out?

I simply replied "Not to your retired standards!"

He actually rolls the lawn so it has these nice looking lines in it. 'aint nobody got time for that!

Your happy neighbors are probably already looking for new horticulture

EDIT: To add, the 'almost retired" neighbor that I grew up next to as a wee lad laughed when he saw me drive up. I get out and he puts on his theatrics "Ohhh, ouch, oh boy my back ouch!" I says' don't worry we wouldn't want OSHA complaining we have senior citizens helping!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

Ran into an ex-coworker the other day, and he said, "so you're not working at all, then? Do you think you will get another job?" "Heck, no!" I said. "I'm way too busy for that."
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I’m far busier now than when I was working. And it’s almost all good - my hobbies are consuming me.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #16

I would be getting more done in retirement except that without an alarm I often don't wake up until 9 am-ish. then read the news in bed, then have coffee, and next thing I know it is 11:00 am!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #17

Every time I get a handle on my time, I keep coming up with new things I want to do. Too many things to do and too little time even in ER. Now, I am falling behind house chores.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote