Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and we have a diswasher in our house that gets used every single day.
We have 4 younger kids, and because the water (and dryer in it) get so hot, the bacteria have little to no chance on surviving.

It seems the only time they get sick, is because they didn wash their darned hands!

But, love them I do!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You could have got a nice rolling dishwasher for much LESS than $6000...........
Yes, we discussed that, but rejected the idea because of the storage issue - where to put it? My mother had one in her house and it was a PITA because it was always in the way. When it wore out she didn't replace it, and the 3 kids had moved out by then.

At the time I didn't know about the ones made for RV's that are very compact. One of those would have fit where three drawers were.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was interesting that A/C peaked at under 90% but then remembered that we have friends in Denver in a nice expensive new house, without A/C.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just checked, and it was about half a mile to my bus-stop -- big hill, heavy trombone, lots of snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrescentBeachDrive.jpg (137.5 KB, 10 views)
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, I just checked, and it was about half a mile to my bus-stop -- big hill, heavy trombone, lots of snow.
Further analysis indicates that apparently it really is uphill both ways...

I enjoyed high-school marching band, but one of the big factors in quitting was having the sundown bus drop me off a mile further from our house and at the bottom of a huge hill. Yes, it would usually be snowing too. I didn't enjoy it that much.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'm 66 and I have never had a dishwasher. Just as well, years ago a zen roshi taught me that satori is found by giving full concentraion and awareness to mundane tasks.

So not only have I saved money by not buying and maintaining dishwashers, I have moved myself along spiritually, maybe.

Ha
I found a dishwasher has cut way down the incidence of broken stuff.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I recall my grandparents in Maine getting an indoor bathroom in the late '50s.

I just got an A/C (window unit) in '04.

The car I bought last year is my first with A/C, power steering, power brakes, auto shift, cup holders. It also has a CD player, but I don't see ever using that.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Further analysis indicates that apparently it really is uphill both ways...

I enjoyed high-school marching band, but one of the big factors in quitting was having the sundown bus drop me off a mile further from our house and at the bottom of a huge hill. Yes, it would usually be snowing too. I didn't enjoy it that much.

OK... OK... I didn't really have to walk 47 miles up hill both ways....

But I did live in the city and walking past these guys everyday made it seem like 47 miles!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I found a dishwasher has cut way down the incidence of broken stuff.
It also helps out in prevention of sickness being carried from one sibling to another. As long as you keep the youngest ones from drinking/eating what their sibling drank/ate.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What instrument?? I did FIVE summers of marching band in HS..............they let the incomeing freshmen march too..........

A couple times I missed the carpool ride home, and 3.5 miles carrying a trombone isn't a fun time..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to carry a cello in elementary school. It was uphill only one way though.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

OMG, I was freak in grade school. My mom petitioned the town for a school bus for kids (like me) who lived over a mile from school. Every chance I got, I escaped the bus to walk home.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

What strikes me is that people do save quite a bit! Take the highest fifth. They make on average $149,963 gross. They spend only $69,863 per year (only 46.6% of gross), pay $23,376 in taxes, give $7,040 to charities and spend about $2,513 on education. But look at the last column, "financial flows", it sounds a lot like "net savings" to me(contributions to pensions + mortgage principal repayment + (I assume) 401K and IRA contributions + additions to savings and investment accounts - outflows from those accounts ) and that's $47,171 or 31.4% of gross! Who said Americans can't LBYM! I am myself in this highest fifth and I thought that I was doing well, but I am barely saving more than the average in my income group!!! That also seems to put the "keeping up with the Joneses" myth on its head!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I had to carry a cello in elementary school. It was uphill only one way though.
Five high school kids, including me, our books, and my cello would chug across Oahu via the Pali Highway to my high school each morning in an old time VW bug back in 1964. I would sit in the front seat with the cello between my legs, my big brother would drive, and 3 cousins sat in the back on each others laps with books piled up everywhere along with my cousin's flute. We would turn the radio up and blast that great 1964 rock music and sing along (I know, how corny!). When we got to school, it would take a while to untangle and disembark. Those were the days!

Sorry the rest of you were trudging for miles through the snow, uphill one or both ways, with your cellos, while we were having fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote