Join Early Retirement Today

How Americans spend their money
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How Americans spend their money

This is an interesting chart - The New York Times > Opinion > Image >

I'm most surprised by how much is spent on transportation, especially when compared to how much is spent on housing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Administrator

Interesting! Also I was surprised at the bottom chart, which showed that more people own cars than own microwaves.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The curve for the automobile in the bottom chart was surprising - it showed a decrease/increase fluctuation in the years surrounding WWII.
I can understand a decrease after the US was fighting in WWII, but not prior to. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The curve for the automobile in the bottom chart was surprising - it showed a decrease/increase fluctuation in the years surrounding WWII.
I can understand a decrease after the US was fighting in WWII, but not prior to. Any thoughts?
My guess is it was the cumulative effect of the depression on American households. I can remember my Dad telling me that they were in the soup until the War started and America started staffing factories first for Lend-Lease, for beefing up the Navy and later for our entry into the war.

People had savings, it took a long while to bring some of them down.

Looked at now, it's like a feeble old man looking back on what he could accomplish in his youth. How the mighty have fallen!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
The Great Depression - - plus I may be wrong but I think that car loans were not commonly available until later in the 20th century.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the Great Depression economic effects for years prior to 1941.

My history lessons said we were also helping Britian with transatlantic goods shipments. Were we shipping metal overseas prior to 1941?

Eureka ! A metal shortage for autos due to the demand for war machinery after the Pearl Harbor attack.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, the Great Depression economic effects for years prior to 1941.

My history lessons said we were also helping Britian with transatlantic goods shipments. Were we shipping metal overseas prior to 1941?

Eureka ! A metal shortage for autos due to the demand for war machinery after the Pearl Harbor attack.
Actually, Japan was buying all the scrap metal from us they could in the 30's..........wonder what they were up to?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote