Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dad and I both have green eyes, we're both soft spoken, and we worked in the same profession.

Unlike Dad, I could never stay in the same job for decades or ever want to. And I am much more physically active than Dad ever was. Mom was always the one to run and play.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ally's post reminded me about one of my dad's traits. Like I said in my post, dad never worried about anything. Mom did all the worrying and had a hard time sleeping at night. Dad always said she worried enough for both of them so he was able to sleep like a baby. He was famous for saying, "I don't worry about stuff like that. Mom already did all the worrying".

Also, dad was quite the artist. When we were kids he would entertain us at night drawing all kind of pictures. Cartoon caracters like Andy Gump, Dick Tracy, Lil Abner, Popeye, Blondie and Dagwood and all kinds of animals. Horses were his favorites. He once did a pencil drawing of the Hartford Elk, just like you would see in their ad. He would have been a great cartoonist. He said his folks put the kabosh on that cause it was time for him to go to work and have a real job. None of that cartoon stuff. Dad was always good working with wood and started working as a pattern maker in 1925. Forty seven years with the same company. Hell of a man.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #23

He sounds like a wonderful father, Johnnie. My dad's dad was always disappointed that my dad didn't become a lawyer like he was. In fact, even after my dad was very successful as an artist, his dad would still encourage him to get a "real job."
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
In temperament, I am very much like my dad was: practical, analytical, worrier, curious, and a good manager. I am not like him in that he took the risk to be an artist and was very successful. Most people don't make it, and I don't have the temperament for that much risk. Neither do I want to be the subject of judgement and criticism with each piece of art I would produce. You have to be able to sell yourself, in addition to being talented. My dad was a great storyteller and loved talking to buyers, gallery owners, etc. everyone loved being around him. I am much more introverted.
I really can appreciate how much risk one would take in trying to earn a living as an artist. It takes a lot of guts to pursue your dreams, and most of us make extensive compromises.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #25

I'll tell you how I'm unlike my father. At 63, I haven't been dead for 8 years nor did I spend 5 years dying.

Granted, that wasn't his fault, but that's my main memory. I didn't enjoy it, especially since medical science didn't even diagnose the problem until he had been dead for some years.

Similarities:
  • We look a bit alike
  • We are both fairly smart (I think), DF passed the bar and had to wait 6 months to be a lawyer since he wasn't yet 21, I stayed out of jail (I imagine that's close).
Other differences include:
  • I'm 5 inches shorter
  • I have all my hair
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #26

I look so much like my Dad it's scary! I look like his mother in her younger years. He and I are very similar in our dealing with finances. Conservative, careful and keep it simple. I learned loyalty and personal integrity from him.

He grew up during the Depression and his Dad left them and never supported the family. They were on welfare (or whatever it was at the time) and from that he learned that he never wanted to be in that position ever, again.

I'm like him in that I like frugality and efficiency. Don't waste my time or money.

We both need our autonomy and independence. He needed my help as he recovers from a broken hip but as soon as he recovered enough he wanted us out of his personal business.

His motto is "Plan your work and work your plan." Sounds good to me.

Our main difference is that he's a real people person and I'm not at all. He was a successful roofing salesman and had a big social circle in his prime years. I'm an introvert and would never make it in sales!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look exactly like my father and act exactly like my mother except I got a sense of humor from my dad. My little brother looks like my mother and is a carbon copy of my father in terms of personality. My littler sister is my mother all over again. My sister and mother cannot tell/get a joke to save their lives.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
He sounds like a wonderful father, Johnnie. My dad's dad was always disappointed that my dad didn't become a lawyer like he was. In fact, even after my dad was very successful as an artist, his dad would still encourage him to get a "real job."
My dad was especially proud of my brother's daughter because she became an artist. Possessed all his artistic skills, graduated college with a degree in art and in fact started an art and design studio in her home state of Ohio. The business is doing well and she has two artist on the books along with herself as President of the company. My dad would have been so proud of her.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Like:
same temperament, although that is not always a good thing.
same relationship with money.

Unlike:
I do not care as much for social conformity.
I take more risks.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
What my father taught me?

Not to follow in his footsteps.
Not to put my own needs/desires above my family.
Not to use his wife's income to meet his needs (be it airplanes, boats, cars, businesses, girlfriends/whores, and any such things), along with using his childern (as chattel) to work in his various businesses long hours at no pay to help him achieve his dreams (and damned their own).

I'm a better man, husband, and (hopefully) father than he professed, or could ever be.

Yes, he's been gone many years, but the hate of his actions are still there...

Heck, I'm not seeking any sympathy, but asked the question. Not all life stories are made up of goodness and honey...

Add in beating your kids and your father is a lot like mine....

I do have his genes and can get angry at the wife and kids easier than I would like.... but only yell... and then get away from the situation until I am cooled down...