Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How bad is it to have an expired tag on your car?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 35 and have only had one moving violation: speeding at age 17. When I was younger I got pulled over for expired tags or inspection a fair bit, but I've been pulled over maybe once in the past 12 years that I can recall, and most of that time I've been a field tech driving around 8 hours per day. I've never been pulled over in my unmarked work vehicle.

I think the car you're driving makes a HUGE difference. Dull colors of basic models are largely ignored. I've only been pulled over once in a plain white truck, van or blazer, and it was because the cop thought I was drunk because I changed lanes to give him room when he had someone else pulled over. Maybe I've just been extraordinarily lucky.

I'm a safe driver but not a perfect one. I've blown by cops at 70+ mph several times in a 55mph zone and been ignored. Go figure.

As for expired tags, I never seemed to get away with that when I was younger, but then my cars weren't dull white fleet vehicles, either. Last year I let my tags lapse thinking I would move out of state soon. I didn't and finally renewed, but during that time several police were behind me and didn't notice. One made a call on the radio and I was sure I'd be pulled over, but nope. My current car is a silver basic 4-door sedan with no fancy add-ons.

I am currently running with lapsed tags again as I again hope to move out of state soon. I am nervous because a local police department is using the lot next door to work for some sort of driving training, and several times I've been driving away from work with 20+ police cruisers exiting training. A coworker said he was stopped for expired tags and got a ticket. I guess my tailing officers have been less attentive so far.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was on a long ride, going thru Mississippi, when a frontage road which was on the map
failed to appear. I had to take a 5 mile (illegal) detour onto the freeway at that point
to avoid a 30 or more mile backtrack. Of course, midway thru it, I pass a cop car,
writing out a ticket to a motorist. I expected to get waved over for my own ticket, but he
just looked at me and went back to writing. I do not know if he had ever seen a bicycle
on the freeway, or, like a leopard digesting a fresh kill, was in a good mood and decided
to let one get away.