Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
For a look at ground zero see the attached link. Be sure and click to enlarge the map. Looks like a disaster in the making.

The Columbus Dispatch : Vacant houses plague Linden
From the article, it sounds like crime plays a role in this as well. Otherwise, the houses look nice and could be picked up for a song. But who wants to live in a crime-ridden neighborhood? That doesn't sound like the ER I had in mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissogreat View Post
We have three bank owned homes in the neighborhood that have not seen a lawnmower in months. We decided to cut the lawns and then sent bills to the bank. We will put liens on the properties if not paid in 60 days. Hows that?

Can we do that?
I don't believe you could put a lien on the house. But the town can. Call the town and complain. Eventually (when they get tired of hearing people bitch), they will cut the grass and put a "weed lien" on the house which functions similarly to a tax lien in your area.

Or you could do the neighborly thing and just cut the grass, if you have time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I don't believe you could put a lien on the house. But the town can.
So can the HOA if you have one.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisissogreat View Post
We have three bank owned homes in the neighborhood that have not seen a lawnmower in months. We decided to cut the lawns and then sent bills to the bank. We will put liens on the properties if not paid in 60 days. Hows that?

Can we do that?
And they will report you for trespassing.

We had a home down the block that was foreclosed on and not taken care of. I mowed the front a couple of times because I couldn't stand how it looked.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
And they will report you for trespassing.

We had a home down the block that was foreclosed on and not taken care of. I mowed the front a couple of times because I couldn't stand how it looked.
How much trouble did you get in for your trespassing episodes?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Apparently enough that she is hiding out in the wilderness until things cool down.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Pre-Foreclosure 7 PropertiesAuction 9 PropertiesBank-Owned 8 PropertiesGovt Owned 0 PropertiesFSBO 1 PropertyResale Homes 2 PropertiesMLS Listings
'Course we only have 84 settlers out here in the frontier...

maybe a few more... weather-wise this is the good time for Oregon
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Pre-Foreclosure 7 PropertiesAuction 9 PropertiesBank-Owned 8 PropertiesGovt Owned 0 PropertiesFSBO 1 PropertyResale Homes 2 PropertiesMLS Listings
'Course we only have 84 settlers out here in the frontier...
how many houses hold those 84 settlers? if that's accurate and even assuming 1 person per each, that's a scary 28.5% distress factor based on prefores, auctions & reos.

to others reporting in, for these preforeclosure, reo & auction numbers to have any significance in regard to the o.p.'s original question, you need to report the number of households (not just population figures) within the same area of the reported distressed properties.

city-data.com often has those numbers per town and per zip code, and some by county. also the all-knowing wiki might have the number of households, both sources quoted per the year 2000 census.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Upon entering my zip, I got 1319 properties, not all of which were actually in my zip code:

pre-foreclosure: 4
auction: 217
bank-owned: 769
govt-owned: 3
FSBO: 17
resale: 309

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
how many houses hold those 84 settlers? if that's accurate and even assuming 1 person per each, that's a scary 28.5% distress factor based on prefores, auctions & reos.
I'll climb the big tree later and see how many cooking fires i can spot.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For a look at ground zero see the attached link. Be sure and click to enlarge the map. Looks like a disaster in the making.

Landlord Bill Ringle said he lost a tenant on E. 18th Avenue after only about six months because people hanging out at the vacant house next door were moving to her porch to shoot craps and smoke marijuana.
"She called the police to chase them away. Fifteen minutes later, they'd be back," he said. "She said, 'I can't continue to live there.' " The woman had two young children.
Reducing crime is a key factor in revitalizing the neighborhood, said Dave Fitzpatrick, another Linden-area landlord. "If they don't deal with the crime element, no one is going to want to live there. You can do all the beautifying you want."

The above is a quote from the article. I think this goes for any gentrification, whether imposed from above or a ground up phenomenon. When given the choice between rapes and murders on your street, or driving farther to work, many will take the drive. After all, it is probably more amenable to a solution that could happen in American society. Vans, suburban residence clusters and light rail, and express buses are easier to bring off than successfully changing the social element in a neighborhood gone bad.

Ha
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

As someone who grew up in Columbus, this doesn't surprise me. That neighborhood has never been one of the better. There has always been a lot of crime and old vacant buildings in the Linden area. I can remember going by that way when I was in college at OSU in the 1980's and amazed at the area. Now if that issue was in a nicer or better neighborhood I would be concerned.

I'm sure most big cities have the same issue in their urban neighborhoods.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #33

151 located in my zip code. One, I know, is only about 4 block away from me. It's a nice house, two story and I believe a 4 bedroom. It was built about the time that our house was built...'bout 1999. I can tell it's that house 'cause of the tall garage used to house an RV or some type of large vehicle. It is now listed as going to auction. When it was listed by the real estate agent, it was listed as $20,000 below assessed value. I thought for sure someone would buy it.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #34

some people get the foreclosure that's coming to them...

just found this on yahoo/abc news http://tinyurl.com/5cec45 which looks to me like someone found a cheaper piece of property on a dirt road and built a $600k house, completely unsuited to the area, yet now they have the nerve to act all upset that their neighbors haven't come up to the standards they require to flip out of their property.

idiot snobs won't be able to get their money out unless they start cleaning up their own neighborhood.

i worked as a volunteer for six years with my city to turn my area around and i wasn't doing it to make a quick buck. i was doing it to help transform a cracked out hood into a gayborhood with a very nice quality of life. i guess that's the difference between being an active resident and a snot.
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't think you have to worry. It's not going to be Law and Order episode any time soon.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #36

686 Pre-foreclosure
10 Auction
163 Bank owned
11 FSBO
284 Resale

In one year prices decreased 11% in our county. In April prices increased by 1.8% in our county. Turnover is 83 days.