How big is your bird?

Cracker Barrel serves processed turkey for its Thanksgiving meal, it's awful! Go to Marie Callenders, infinitely better.

Cat, Surely the college cafeteria will be serving a Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. If not, go to Cracker Barrel.

I'm back home but my parents decided to file for divorce about 2 weeks ago and neither will be cooking. 1/2 lb. of turkey lunch meat maybe ;), I'm still on the school budget so no frills for me.

Looks like a 20 pounder for old George. :D

Attachments

• bush_turkey[1].jpg
    bush_turkey[1].jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 57
18 lb. turkey for 2 of us! We love leftovers and soup. We will be freezing a lot.

Momtwo

25 lb Butterball for 15 people. Everyone wants leftovers.

Brewer:
Some day, the deck is going to collapse...

If your deck is really a ground level patio ignore the following: With luck your weather will be too cold for a deck gathering. Now, before the weather turns nice and your family gathers again, get a structural engineer or architect (not a "designer") to look at your deck. In my part of the word some have given way with bad result. Never, ever, let more than two people dance on a deck.

Thanksgiving turkey.. going out. The usual venues are now too small and cannot accomodate a wheelchair. One in-law won't attend as she is a steadfast Thanksgiving at home type. I will miss her, but I won't miss the chaos of Thanksgiving dinner prep. To me it is all about the people at the table.

DOG51 said:
Looks like a 20 pounder for old George.  :D

Is that turkey named Monica? >:D

We are having a 16 pounder for about 12 people with lots of left overs planned for "free" lunches for next week.

10 lb turkey, the smallest that could be found at the imported meat market, for 7 people, of whom 3 are little kids, and of the 4 adults only two of us are Americans (and so have a taste for turkey to begin with), so there will probably be plenty of leftovers for us that want them.

Bpp

Guys, don't let the DW see this or you will end up with dish duty... :(

Turkey Doesn't Cause Drowsiness

Contrary to popular belief, tryptophan in turkey doesn't cause drowsiness.

In fact, scientists told National Geographic News the substance could possibly aid in the treatment of depression...

Hmmmm. Even if you do end up washing or drying, maybe you won't feel too bad about it. :)

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=11300002O3BF

I may buy one tomorrow and have a Thanksgiving at home this weekend.
Today, we're visiting my parents at their retirement center and eating turkey there.

16 pound organic fresh turkey for 8..with many sides: sweet potatoes mashed w/rum & cream (DH's specialty), traditional stuffing w/mushrooms, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry-pecan sauce, noodle pudding (which I forgot to put out!), green beans, boiled onions, boiled turnips, corn pudding. Good appetizers too: shrimp & crab legs, pate', cheese thing w/dried cranberries & walnuts, crudite's w/bleu cheese dip. For dessert: pecan tassies (like tiny pecan pies), cranberry-orange bread, pumpkin pie. To drink: wine, mulled cider, and coffee. Biggest hit was the pecan tassies, new this year, defintie addition to the repertoire!

We have company tomorrow for leftovers. We set aside a turkey thigh for mole (that's molay!) on Sunday.

I think I'm still too full to fall asleep :D

Brat said:
Brewer:
If your deck is really a ground level patio ignore the following: With luck your weather will be too cold for a deck gathering.  Now, before the weather turns nice and your family gathers again, get a structural engineer or architect (not a "designer") to look at your deck.  In my part of the word some have given way with bad result.  Never, ever, let more than two people dance on a deck. 

Thanksgiving turkey.. going out.  The usual venues are now too small and cannot accomodate a wheelchair.  One in-law won't attend as she is a steadfast Thanksgiving at home type.  I will miss her, but I won't miss the chaos of Thanksgiving dinner prep.  To me it is all about the people at the table.

Brat, I appreciate the concern, but my comment was facetious. The deck is ~5 years old and is quite solid. I was more making reference to the fact that we sometimes end up with 15 or 20 people on it, plus cooler, keg, grill, etc. In any case, if it gives up the ghost while we are on it, its only 2 or 3 feet off the ground.

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
   Mmmm . . . turkey soup w/ dill dumpliings after the fact.  --Greg

Can you share this recipe? Sounds great!

Also, we brined the bird this year (I'm watching way too much FoodNetwork) and it was the best turkey I've ever had.  :eek: No kidding!  I want to do another just to make sure it wasn't and anomaly.

Judy

JWV said:
Can you share this recipe? Sounds great!

Also, we brined the bird this year (I'm watching way too much FoodNetwork) and it was the best turkey I've ever had. :eek: No kidding! I want to do another just to make sure it wasn't and anomaly.

Judy

I don't do anything fancy--ever. For the dumplings, I just add a heaping teaspoon of dried dillweed and eliminate whatever seasoning suggested in the receipe. My real secret is to make sure everyone is really hungry. Stall feeding people, and make your spouse go outside and shovel snow or do other active chores while your cooking. You stand at the stove with your apron on and display that "I'm rightous AND virtuous" look, before you know it they are outside working and out of your hair. Then kick back and worry about using one or one and half teaspoons of dill. Have a drink while you wait. Fresh dillweed is better--send your spouse to the store for it. :D

--Greg

JWV said:
Also, we brined the bird this year (I'm watching way too much FoodNetwork) and it was the best turkey I've ever had. :eek: No kidding! I want to do another just to make sure it wasn't and anomaly.

Judy

We have been brining for 2 years now. It is not a fluke - they turn out much better.

CyclingInvestor said:
We have been brining for 2 years now. It is not a fluke - they turn out much better.

Sounds good. It doesn't work on pancakes though. :)

JG

Tony Chachere's butter marinade Cajun injector kit (Walmart). Low heat under foil midnight till :confused: at 275 or less. Roast the next day per directions will bread style Peperidge Farm Chicken and Herb stuffing. Stay out of the kitchen and let 'step daughter in spare room' do the work.

Heh heh heh

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
  You stand at the stove with your apron on and display that "I'm rightous AND virtuous" look, before you know it they are outside working and out of your hair. 
--Greg 

Since the spouse does 90% of the cooking these days I'll pass along these tips to him (or maybe NOT).  But, do you put anything-other than turkey-in the soup?? The carcass is still in the fridge, man, and I'm thinking tomorrow is turkey soup day.  Temperatures will be dropping to the 70s here in SO AZ, perfect soup weather.

Judy

JWV said:
Since the spouse does 90% of the cooking these days I'll pass along these tips to him (or maybe NOT). But, do you put anything-other than turkey-in the soup?? The carcass is still in the fridge, man, and I'm thinking tomorrow is turkey soup day. Temperatures will be dropping to the 70s here in SO AZ, perfect soup weather.

Judy

Rough Turkey soup

A 12 qt. kettle

Put the turkey carcass (w at least two lbs of meat attached to bones, cover w/ water.

Boil/simmer 4-8 hours, the longer the better, the meat gets stringy which you may not like, but we do.

Pick out inedible gunk

Add 3-5 cut up stalks of celery, one carrot, a couple of medium onions. Add a small amount of any other veggie you want, but not too much. Start the reboil. Add some cooked pasta: Martha likes a few big lasagna noodles :D.

Add seasoning such as pepper or little Italian seasoning and salt as needed. Parsley is nice at this point or chives or green onions, etc.. Add dumpling balls. Simmer/boil for 10-15 minutes until dumplings are done.

Don't forget: husbands enjoy being grabbed at and fondled during the holiday season, especially in the kitchen when no one is looking. That's the other secret ingredient.

--Greg

Soups on!!! (here in frosty AZ where it's a balmy 500-hey it's almost noon and it's only 500)

As DH says *It tastes so good, 'cause it's made with love* ;)

Judy

Thanks Greg,

Had the soup, it was deelish. I love dumplings and just never thought of putting them on turkey soup. Dinner last night and lunch today. So it's Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon--is that */&% turkey gone yet:confused:?

Judy

DW says we're (finally) out of turkey! With UNY temps in the unseasonable hi 50's, I'm thinking steak on the barby! ;)

Back
Top Bottom