Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Big Is Your House?
less than 500 sf 3 1.26%
500 to 749 sf 2 0.84%
750 to 999 sf 6 2.51%
1000 to 1499 sf 53 22.18%
1500 to 1999 sf 61 25.52%
2000 to 2499 sf 39 16.32%
2500 to 2999 sf 32 13.39%
3000 to 3999 sf 30 12.55%
4000+ sf 13 5.44%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
But are you sure?

Indeed. It's all about contentment, right?
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Indeed. It's all about contentment, right?
So right.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

2,500 SF now, but will downsize to between 1,500 and 1,900 when DW retires. We have been lookng at new homes and it is really annoying that the smaller the home, the crummier they build them. I wish builders would wake up and build a luxorious smaller single family home (not just condo's or townhome's). With all of the empty nesters and retiring boomers, it shouildn't be too hard to figure that out.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amethyst has a great point relative to the lot size complementing the size of the house. Our house, 2065 sq ft, is on a 1/4 acre lot. Also, there is an easement on the east side that puts us about 40 ft from that adjoining house. Probably 25 ft on the west side. And the house sits back quite a bit from the street. That's the thing we like about the house the most, the space around us. In the back we butt up against an environmental area that separates our house from the golf course. Being in an 55+ community, you don't see a lot of cars in the street or driveways, kids bikes, a mishmash of mailboxes and just plain unkept yards. We love it here.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mine is 1700 sf and honestly it's a bit more than I need or want. I think around 1200 sf would be ideal - roomy enough but with no unused space. It kind of bugs me that there are 2 or 3 rooms we rarely use.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is 1800 sq. feet; I designed it myself and had it built in 2004, on 10 acres. Very open floorplan. I had it built with lots of windows so there isnt anywhere on my property that I cant see from one of my windows. Ill never have larger, but I could have smaller if a very open floorplan. Just me and 3 puppies. I dont know how long Ill stay here, but for now no plans on leaving. If I ever decide to downsize on acreage, I could see me moving to western NC to a nice log cabin, 1200 square feet or so. Plenty of room for me and pups.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Our home seems a perfect fit....at this time. 1800 sq ft main floor, 1200 more with finished lower level, split bedrooms (3)' three baths. In anticipation of downsizing out of state in a few years i finished the lower level and added the third bath. All improvements done with selling/moving in mind....maybe 3-4 years. Three of us now live here, my bride, my 18 year old daughter and me. Next home in southwest will be 1500 sq ft...or less, one level, 2 BR, 2 bath
Dave C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #48
gone traveling

Much too big, 4300 sq ft, 3 air conditioners, < less than 1/2 acre.
Looking to downsize next year.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

At least two of us with homes >4000 sq.ft. have spoken up. Mine is a "down size" to 4200 sq. ft. Our previous home was 6400 sq. ft. so we feel we down sized a whole house. Actually, the reason for the extra space now is family. DW has parents that could end up living with us at some point so we got the cassita model so if they do we have room for them to not be underfoot. It is all on one level and has zero steps...even from the outside to the inside so it can easily accommodate wheelchairs as the previous owner's mother lived in the cassita and was wheelchair bound.

We hope we don't have to be an Assisted Living home for her parent(s) but if worse comes to worse we have the space for now. Our plan has always been to downsize again in under 10 years from when we moved in...sooner if possible.

With all the visits we get from family and friends it has been a boon to have the space to house them and be able to visit more with them than if they were staying in a hotel or not stopping by at all.

We got rid of quite a bit of stuff when we moved to this house since there was no place to put it or store it. We are now working through the remaining stuff as we can to sort through it and dispose of it so we can downsize again in the not so distant future.

Stuff is hard to deal with when it comes with sentimental attachments. We seem to have more than our share of that kind of stuff. Also, I seem to not be able to make much progress on the garage which is stuffed with tools, spare parts and decorations for every holiday.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #50

Ours is a tad over 1700 sf, 2-car garage (love that part!) 3 bedroom, 3 bath (one in the basement) screened porch off the kitchen with a small deck for the grill, large storage shed under the porch for mowers, rakes, etc.

Much of it we don't use and when we do move it will be to a smaller home. But we like the area, it backs up to a creek and overlooks a flood plain that will never be built on and that was worth a lot to us. It's also at the end of a court/dead end so there's little traffic and that's important too.

The garage is terrific to have. No clearing snow/ice from vehicles in winter or getting into a heat-soaked car in summer. I fail to comprehend why so many people with garages store junk there instead of keeping their expensive vehicles under roof.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The only problem with a small house is it sometimes is too small for 2 people. DW and I get along much better when we have our space...
Yes, sometimes bigger is better ...

It comes down (IMHO) to what lifestyle you desire and what you can afford.

If either (lifestyle/affordability) requires you to downsize based upon desires and/or finances? Fine.

If you desire to have a bigger home than others (due to your lifestyle) and can afford it, so what?

Different folks - different strokes...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Studio apartment in a co-op complex. One large L-shaped room, small kitchen, bathroom, a few closets, ~625 square feet. Moved here 22 years ago. Single, no kids, no pets.
so your bed sits out in the social space, or do you use a Murphy bed or some kind of convertible bed?

Ha
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #53

1650 sf, 4 BR, 2 baths, 2 car attached garage, full basement on a big enough suburban lot. Built in 1955. It was comfy for 4 of us when both kids lived here. When the younger son moves out we can downsize by just using the first floor with 2 BRs and a full bath.

My favorite part of the house is the breakfast room. The kitchen needs a complete update but it's been good enough for us and having the breakfast room really made it the heart of the home. The living room is for TV watching and the dining room is never used except for the carpeted cat thing in front of the window.

Closet space is minimal but there is a huge storage space above the attached garage and we have easy access to it from the 2nd floor hallway.

We've been here since 1983 and we're staying as long as we can.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #54

2,700 sq. ft on main floor, basement is 1,600 sq ft (half of it I finished myself as a TV room, the other half is my woodshop). What's more important to me is the garage size. I'm a car enthusiast, so we have 4 cars between the two of us. Two are show cars. As a result, we have a 1,200 sq. ft garage...enough for all 4 cars plus a small work area.

There are only two of us, but we each have a study, then a spare bedroom for guests, then our own bedroom, along with great room, dining room, kitchen, and 2 full baths.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #55

2600 sq. ft. with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 1/2 car garage, no basement as we are in Fla..
Only thing I'd change is I wish I had a 3 car garage. One car sits outside and I cover it each night.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Or finding a nice garage with a house attached.
+1

Home is 1650sf "ranch", with 3/2/2 arrangement. Plenty of room for me; one bedroom for "guests", used maybe once per year, and one BR is my music room. Should convert the dining room to a home gym, since I rarely use it for eating.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I put 750 - 999 in the poll, but actually have not idea...

Have 4 distinct rooms and a bathroom on 2 floors. It may not be much but the back wall is a Roman wall, exposed beams and a rather nice view of a castle from upstairs sitting room. Water, electric and city gas are not expensive and impost importantly it is paid for. Am in the city (small) center and am sure it has a very high walkability score. This is paradise and I am happy whenever I can be here.

This is the city, house is just up there on the right hand side...
Queenie
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

1300 sq ft all brick ranch. 3 bd rms, 1.5 bath, kitch, DR, LR. Attached 2 car garage not counted in sq ft. Been here 33 yrs. Always has been extremely low maintenance and low utility bills.

The basement is also 1300 sq ft. I'm never sure whether to count that as living space or not. There is a 700 sq ft finished room which, because it's in the basement, isn't used all that much except in the winter when the Vermont Castings wood stove attracts us down there. And if I want to watch a sports event while DW has something else on, it's handy then too. And my shop and hobbies are in the basement too filling up a chunk of the unfinished 600 sq ft.

We thought things were a little tight when raising the family. Now that we're empty nesters, it seems just about right.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
so your bed sits out in the social space, or do you use a Murphy bed or some kind of convertible bed?

Ha
The bed is in the corner of the large room, visible from anywhere in the large room. A second bed, a high-riser, fits below the main bed and can roll out and rise to a level equal to the main bed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #60

Downsized last year from 3400 two-story to 2450 one-story. It's just right - not too big for the two of us and big enough that kids can be comfortable when they come to visit (but not comfortable enough for them to stay!).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote