Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ah, well, as i've never managed to develop transferable skills worthy to command respectable salary, it is a good thing that i've also never quite taken to the cold.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Would you be eager to invite in a houseguest who barges in at 3AM, craps on your living room floor, shoots at your neighbors, writes "dick" in gasoline on your lawn and ignites it, and then tells you how you are ruining your life and you'd better shape up or he'll kick your ass?
Wow man, I feel sorry if that's what you think of this country. There are a lot of other places to live you know.

I suppose the tens of millions of people living freely because of the generosity of Americans willing to fight and die for strangers doesn't count in your book?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Join the Army and then go AWOL. The Canadians will roll out the red carpet for you.
Yeah - I heard about that one ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Join the Army and then go AWOL. The Canadians will roll out the red carpet for you.
yes, how inconvenient for the American government that some countries, on occasion, actually respect international law.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The welcome mat is not out for deserters because they volunteered for duty. During Vietnam there was conscription and that made a big difference. It is tough to get into Canada these days. Partly because we have to cooperate with Homeland Security or face getting a large fence built...and that will be a big problem in Lakes Superior, Huron, Erie and Ontario and the St Lawrence.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonder why the CDN gov't stopped allowing citizens of other nations (including US) to retire to Canada....since mostly what they would be doing is spending $ there. Since they didn't work there...wouldn't qualify for medical. And there are many US retirees with retiree medical and probably medicare...who would return to US for any medical work.
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyparty View Post
Wonder why the CDN gov't stopped allowing citizens of other nations (including US) to retire to Canada....since mostly what they would be doing is spending $ there. Since they didn't work there...wouldn't qualify for medical.
Um, not true (at least not in Alberta). Government of Alberta - Programs and Services - Living in Alberta - Health for Immigrants - Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

You can apply for healthcare coverage after moving to Alberta...doesn't saying anything about having to be employed.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In BC, it is a 90-day waiting period to qualify for medical insurance. That applies to you no matter where you come from, even Alberta.

Canada has a problem with admitting people and making them "second class" citizens by denying them benefits. It is similar to how the US treats illegal aliens. Just being a resident gets you certain universal benefits, e.g. seniors' benefits
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The welcome mat is not out for deserters because they volunteered for duty.
This is yet to be determined. The official logic behind the denial of the AWOL soldiers' petition was that although US soldiers might (and have) been ordered to commit war crimes in Iraq, if they did so they would not be prosecuted because they were merely foot soldiers. Therefore they would not qualify as refugees.

However, on June 3, the House of Commons passed a resolution calling on the government to allow them to stay and provide a path to permanent residency. See

War Resisters Support Campaign

It's difficult to see the Harper minority government honouring this resolution, and it is obviously not a confidence issue (or the government would have fallen). It does, however show that there is some sympathy for such people, even though were are not conscripted.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

lazy,

There is a special category for [something like] personal caregivers if one were interested in immigration. I know you took care of your mom, but this would be business. Not the same thing at all, but perhaps manageable. It is a way in, often successfully used by desperate 3rd-world people. The point being that it is an accepted--and not very critically examined--mechanism for entry and Permanent Residency. There are other categories which would astound an American that will go unmentioned here.

Instead, consider summer in Canada and winter in Florida. (Wait--hasn't this been done before??)

I think you would get along fine in Canada, weather permitting. If East Indians ("South Asians" is the new buzz-word) can do it, a Floridian can. Canada is also a fairly mellow place for unconventional folks. I am comfortable here, but I am crazy (just not violent).

Consider an extended visit. Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal to start with. Why not? But, be careful. Canada isn't Oz, regardless of the natives ability to ignore reality. (No offense. I manage to ignore a large part of reality myself. I do arrange it so that it is not fatal or damaging to my pocketbook, however. So far.)

Cheers,

Gypsy