Join Early Retirement Today

How can we downsize ?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

How can we downsize ?

Everybody talks about downsizing but as I've gotten older my family has swelled to include sil's ,dil's,and grandchildren .When we all get together it's a mob scene . So why do people think of downsizing when we need more room than ever ? Maybe the perfect set up would be a small house with a hotel next door .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are all those folks visiting all at the same time, all the time?

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Are all those folks visiting all at the same time, all the time?

My SO has four boys with four wives and four children so far . I have one daughter, one son in law and a grandbaby on the way . All my SO's children live nearby so they frequently visit .My daughter lives farther away but when she visits everybody shows up .During football season it gets a little crazy! Go Gators !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #4

My parents didn't think they could downsize either, but my brother has a hugh house in the same tiown. Short version: they downsized and events moved to his home. Maybe one of the "kids" can take over if you downsize.

I concur: Go Gators
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is all of this hosting something YOU want to do, yourself? If you want to do it, then you will want a larger house to accomodate that - - just as a person who really wants to fill the living room with a functioning toy train collection or with a pool table would want a larger house to accomodate those hobbies.

But if they are becoming a pain in the rear, and you are letting yourself get pushed into not downsizing by that, then stand up for what you want! If you had a smaller house, they would probably enjoy staging the get-togethers just as much as they enjoyed coming over to your house.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Small house, big yard...maybe a pole barn or some home-engineered canopy over a part of the yard. Throw in cooling misters hoses or portable heaters as climate demands.

Better yet: downsize by a park with a gazebo.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #7

And for entertainment, your guests can drive the bobcat around the yard. I like it!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Front and back screened porches - those fancy blow up air mattresses like on tv/Plus a 28' Prowler(semi retired)camper out front of the fish camp with power(read A/C) and water run from the pumphouse.

Hell - Some Mardi Grais we had friends or relatives so distant nobody wanted to admit they didn/t remember who they were.

Life is much quieter in Kansas City. My backyard grill/BBQ skills have yet to draw large attendances!

heh heh heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Everybody talks about downsizing but as I've gotten older my family has swelled to include sil's ,dil's,and grandchildren .When we all get together it's a mob scene . So why do people think of downsizing when we need more room than ever ? Maybe the perfect set up would be a small house with a hotel next door .
If you are happy with your current situation, why "downsize"?

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After about 15 yrs - the Mardis Grais thing got a tad old. So the yearly gather in Reno(most family out West) thing got started with my Mom shopping(they were retired by then) for the best deal as early as a year ahead. That was good for about ten years.

Since my Sister's kids are career military more or less - last year was Pensacola at Thanksgiving. This year will have relatives in DC, Pensacola,San Diego, Seattle - Christmas at ?

Agile, mobile and hostile.

And I stayed single and come from a small family! Go figure!

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Some more thoughts, after reading Uncle Mick's posts about the camper in the yard - -

I have been looking online at houses in Missouri (and dreaming, I admit). There are plenty of smaller houses that have a guest house or outbuilding with utilities, out back. You could have your small house for most of the year, and have guest quarters as well.

Frank is interested in this type of home up there because he wants to turn the outbuilding into a ham radio station ("ham shack"). I don't see the purpose in it since he lives alone, so he could use a spare bedroom for that. But in your case, you could benefit from not having to clean or heat the guest house when you don't have guests.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Guest houses are tough in the north where you can get below freezing temperatures. Unless you forgo plumbing in the guest house.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
..... Unless you forgo plumbing in the guest house.

Now there's a great way to cut down on overnight traffic!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think this kind of thinking is why people have bigger house and smaller saving accounts - they plan for the peaks in in their lives and all that comes with it. It isn't just the large house but, the furnishing, utilities, taxes, etc that comes along with it that drains your finances.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Now there's a great way to cut down on overnight traffic!
Similar to the sign I've seen on RVs: Seats 6, sleeps 2...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #16

If you own it they will come. Have a large house? This is the first place people will think to stay when visiting from out of town. Cheaper than a hotel so it makes sense. This is not a problem if you like that. DH and I have a large house but do not encourage over night guests. In an emergency we can pull out the inflatable beds but even with all of the space we have we do not have guest rooms. I agree with Dex. There is no need to hold onto more house than you want or need just for the occasional visitor.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Two words: air matresses
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote