Join Early Retirement Today

How church has changed...
Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How church has changed...

As a kid,my family took us to church every time the doors were open. Later life, drifted away from the organized congregations and haven't been to a regular service in years. Today, my DW and I spent Easter service with my DM at the small, very conservative (Church of Christ) church I grew up with in the small town where we lived.

How times have changed... everyone was dressed very casually (we always dressed to the nines growing up). The song leader lead hymns from his iPad with lyrics projected in a powerpoint on a giant screen. The preacher used his tablet for his notes and when he gave the invitation to walk down the aisle to be baptized or to repent, he also projected his cell number on screen and invited us to text him if we wanted more info.

Good to see lots of folks I grew up with..none of us has changed one bit We did,however continue to sing the 100+ year old hymns that we grew up on... maybe they were tops in the 1890's, but do sound very dated today. Enjoyed the service very much and, of course, the great day with my Mother..... hope everyone had a great Easter!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm always disappointed by the new accepted dress code in churches. You don't need to wear a suit but some guys are even so clueless as to leave their baseball hats on!

Then again, I suppose it's better than an empty church; at least people go.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm always disappointed by the new accepted dress code in churches. You don't need to wear a suit but some guys are even so clueless as to leave their baseball hats on!

Then again, I suppose it's better than an empty church; at least people go.
Try a black church. I always enjoy it when I am going past one of the historically black churches near where I live on Sunday morning. Every man very sharply dressed, every woman perfect.

Ha
Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When I went to church, the nuns would go "sit up straight or else!". That was a long time ago.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Try a black church. I always enjoy it when I am going past one of the historically black churches near where I live on Sunday morning. Every man very sharply dressed, every woman perfect.

Ha
So true. I've heard that during slavery and Jim Crow, church was the only place you can get dressed up and the tradition continues today.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not a church goer, but it's probably good that churches are adapting to the times. Many around here have multimedia, live bands, daycare, and other activities to attract a younger, more mobile, more ADD crowd.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We used to have "sunday clothes" and mass used to be said in Latin, which made it that much more solemn.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Remember you don't have to go along with the crowd.

At the church I go to most people dress more casually, but there are always one or two of us who wear a suit. No one objects ;-)

(not that I ever wore a suit to work, but I always dress up for church)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I see the same thing in our area - and the African American ladies' hats are a sight to behold. It's about the only place you see people wearing hats any more.

Also, many Catholic families still dress up for church. It's very nice to see Mom, Dad, and the little ones turning out in their best.

Amethyst

Quote:

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #10

The church we've been part of for the past 15 years has become much more dress-code diverse - on any given Sunday (except Easter!) there will be a man in a suit and tie next to one in shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. It took me a while to get used to it but now I like it.

During fall, winter, and spring the choir and pastors wear formal robes, but we give that up in the summer to reduce the electric bill.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

So in summertime, the pastor doesn't wear any robes?

That is quite a liberal church you've got there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
During fall, winter, and spring the choir and pastors wear formal robes, but we give that up in the summer to reduce the electric bill.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know if this is true of the OP's small town church but Church of Christ is known as one of the most progressive Protestant churches. My niece and her family are C of C in Texas and the OP's church sounds like a church they would attend as they are computer geeks and are very casual. Her parents are much more traditional and prefer the Baptist church.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not surprised by the baseball hats. In today's culture, ball caps are to bald people what powdered wigs were to 16th century royalty, and for the same reasons!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Not surprised by the baseball hats. In today's culture, ball caps are to bald people what powdered wigs were to 16th century royalty, and for the same reasons!
Back in my younger days I used to think that. But, now I realize that baseball caps or hats of any kind are primarily used for climate control by balding individuals.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post

Not always. I have a full head of hair. I just like the way they look and hate windy days.

But I'd never wear one to church!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Don't know if this is true of the OP's small town church but Church of Christ is known as one of the most progressive Protestant churches. My niece and her family are C of C in Texas and the OP's church sounds like a church they would attend as they are computer geeks and are very casual. Her parents are much more traditional and prefer the Baptist church.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the United Church of Christ, traditionally known as Congregationalists? (that's my church) The UCC is very progressive. As I understand it, the Churches of Christ (i.e. - no "United") are generally quite conservative.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I don't give a crap what you wear to Mass, so long as you are clothed. Of more substance to me is the retrograde, medieval bullcrap that the local parish serves up every week. I grew up being educated and attending Masses conducted by Jesuits, Franciscans and Dominicans. Listening to this retrograde crap by people who fervently wish to turn the clock back 800 years is a massive turn-off and is killing my youngest's interest in religion despite her obvious gift of faith. I have about had it and am not sure what to do.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I grew up being educated and attending Masses conducted by Jesuits, Franciscans and Dominicans. .

That's quite a group of educated troublemakers. :-)

And, IIRC, the current Pope is one of them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
And, IIRC, the current Pope is one of them.
You would not know it from listening to the local bunch. All they talk about is "saint" John Paul.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Ha
Be warned. Around here, the black churches come early and stay late.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote