Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Another reason to not have a dryer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Not really. That was way more effective than the trick I did with the laundry...putting a pair of my wifes fuzzy pink slippers in with a load of her black scrub pants.

We're not even going to talk about the dishwasher, other than to say it seemed quite reasonable to put things other than dishes in it.
I have been blacklisted from the laundry room for over three years now. The dishwasher has also been off limits for quite some time. "One more time" running over the flowers and I will be probably be banned from using the lawnmower...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OOOOOhhhhh! I hadnt thought of that! Why just this morning I had to mow the half acre of fricking grass my wife had to have. Maybe if I back the rider into her lexus she'll change her mind about my doing the yard work too!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It's amazing these folks didn't figure something was wrong sooner. And that they didn't have a fire.
Yep, the extra KWHrs running that dryer for the past few years wiped out a cargo load of CFL energy savings!

I finally picked up one of those Kill-a-Watt measurement devices from Amazon for $19 and free shipping with other stuff I needed to get to $25. I'll post some results when I get more samples, but so far only good news - or bad news depending on your view, the things I measured are more efficient that I figured, but that means fewer opportunities to save. We'll see.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep, the extra KWHrs running that dryer for the past few years wiped out a cargo load of CFL energy savings!

I finally picked up one of those Kill-a-Watt measurement devices from Amazon for $19 and free shipping with other stuff I needed to get to $25. I'll post some results when I get more samples, but so far only good news - or bad news depending on your view, the things I measured are more efficient that I figured, but that means fewer opportunities to save. We'll see.

-ERD50
I took an energy use questionnaire from the local utility provider, and there wasn't an option for 'not having a clothes dryer'.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might consider simply abandoning that vent. Many of the places I've lived we've made due with a dryer dust collector that you fill with water to catch the lint, and empty on a regular basis. Or just vent through the wall to the outside
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Watch out for those 'dryer dust collectors' or the old nylon on the end of the duct. Unless its very dry in your house you may create a ridiculous amount of moisture in the home and encourage mold and dust mites, which can create allergy problems.

In the summer, if you air condition, that hot damp dryer air will give your air conditioner a very expensive workout. You'll pay to warm the air and then to cool and dehumidify it.

Now, in the winter if its cool and dry in the house, that can work for you. Just watch the humidity level and keep it <50%.

I saw one of those boxes that had a flip door that you could close to direct the air through the vent outside, or open to direct it into the laundry area. You're supposed to keep an inch of water in them to catch the stray lint, otherwise you can end up with a lot of very small particles blown into your interior air...very bad for people with breathing related issues.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Hey, thefed, wanna spend the winter in Hawaii?
funny you ask. i'll be in hawaii this december for a job. just let me know ;-)
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hey, if you're going to use that as an avatar, I need to see a little compensation. That took me a whole 6 minutes to put together!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #30

Nords,

Thanks for the post. Cleaned out the 10 feet of dryer exhaust and got a bag full of dust bunnies. Dryer works better now.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey, if you're going to use that as an avatar, I need to see a little compensation. That took me a whole 6 minutes to put together!
whats the red thing on the left?
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Its hard to make out in the avatar size. Theres a pair of boxing gloves, a gun, some handcuffs and a crowbar. I think thats the boxing gloves on the left.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #33

Sad story that just happened yesterday, but found this to be relevant to the topic.

48-year-old mother of three dies in Lexington, MA fire | NECN