Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with 74 but I can feel a substantial difference if it gets a degree or two over my favored temperature. Fed - if you don't feel good over 70 keep it low. Your wife can throw on a long sleeved shirt but taking off your shirt won't help.

Edit: a reasonable compromise might be to move it up a degree every couple of days and see if you can get accustomed to a slightly higher temp that is more suitable to your wife.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I noticed you mentioned "occupied" rooms. I have also heard that ceiling fans are only doing some good when someone is in the room to feel the air move over your skin. Otherwise, my utility company says you are wasting your money. I've had other people swear by having them on all the time.
Moving air (ie, a ceiling fan) doesn't lower the temperature but acts as a cooling agent through evaporation of moisture on the skin. If no one is in the room to evaporate it is probably a waste of electricity.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #23

Usually at 78.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

76 when I'm away, 75 when I'm at home, 72 at night.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #25

74 during the day, 73 at night, along with a fan upstairs to help circulate the air.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

we set our A/C sometime in april to 79. when we leave it goes up about 5 degrees. it cranks about 75% of the day. growing up in minnesota where we just had to take advantage of the cool nights, i enjoy it cold. but, it's not in the cards here in houston. a box fan at the foot of our bed and a ceiling fan keep us somewhat comfortable at night. can't wait to put the a/c to rest for the year....
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have mine set at 75 during the worst months July & August . Other hot months it's at 76 -78 . The only time we change it is if we are traveling then it's at 80 .
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

78 degrees here. Occasionally down to 77 if I feel hot at 78. I do use ceiling fans too. I have a whole house fan that I use at night and in the morning to cool the house. I usually don't need the A/C until 4 pm or afterwards because my house is well insulated.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #29

Although my pup would prefer much cooler temps year round, 78 with ceiling fans is the norm for summer months. Living on the lake makes the hot Alabama weather a little more enjoyable.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #30

I should add that if it feels particularly humid inside I may have to take it down as low as 72 on occasion to wring out the humidity. But usually it's at 78.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

76 during the day and 72 at night. 85 if we are gone more than a day. Ceiling fans really help.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #32

We keep the house at 78. Now the bedroom, we added a window ac unit for the summer months. Wife keeps that set at 69. Talk about a frigid bedroom atmosphere...
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #33

No AC in the home we rent. It does have a whole house fan that we run at night to pull in the cooler night air, usually down in the 50 deg. F range. We close the windows in the morning and it usually stays below 75 deg. F until the next night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Do I detect a bit of climate envy?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

76 day; 75 night. 2 level house and we all sleep upstairs. When not home during the work week, 80. DW complains of freezing all the time. She is from a tropical environment (SE Asia), so I can't fault her too much, except that the last time she lived there was over 25 years ago.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

73 at night so I can sleep better, 74 when I am home during the day and mid 80s when I am not home. I live right in the suburbs of Wash DC where it has been in the high 90s, very hot and humid, this summer! AC is the one area where I splurge.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

72 degrees year-round...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #37

Always 75 except 80 when traveling.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #38

Don't really need A/C up here in Calgary. There are a handful of days where it gets unbearably hot (90+ F) and even then it cools down pretty considerably at night since we are so close to The Rockies.

If it does get too warm to sleep at night, we sleep in the developed basement which is about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than upstairs.

When we lived in Tulsa for a couple of years the summers were miserable. I kept the A/C set at about 68F since I'm a Canuck and I like it chilly . Our A/C bills were huge back then.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #39

80 during the day, 74 at night.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #40

Until the windows frost up