Join Early Retirement Today

How Connected Is Your Community?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Connected Is Your Community?

I go through this process every month or so of think of switching my broadband connect but then end out staying. I have spotty DSL service which during the month randomly drops off. Might go a week without trouble, then struggle like heck during a day.

Anyhow, during the process I came a across this site that easily retrieves providers in your area (I just enter my zipcode).

National Broadband Map

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Thanks! That URL looks helpful for evaluating broadband access at potential retirement locations, too.

Sorry about your DSL being such a pain in the neck! I switched from DSL to Cox Cable back in 2000, and looking at your link that apparently turned out to be the best choice for my area. They seem to think they can charge a fortune and get away with it, though. Or, maybe that's out of date thinking when it comes to prices, due to my age...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The map seems to be off a little on available speeds for my address for the listed wired access providers. Since I live some distance from the local telco office the best DSL speed they offer me is 1.5M, the map shows 6-10M. My cable company offers 5-60M, the map shows 100M-1G.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad that you found the URL helpful. I didn't think about it from a potential retirement location standpoint. Good idea.

I have AT&T as my DSL provider. It's just a pretty basic connection, but if I don't experience the random dropouts, that's all I need for the price. I think about going to Comcast, but don't want the price creep up that happens with them. My DSL service has been steady at about $20/month for many years.

The final straw may be if I'm making a transaction and the connection drops, leaving me unsure if the transaction was processed or not. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet.

As a work around on bad days, I got a usb 56K modem hooked up for dial up (good old dialup) so at least I can check my email or posts like on here and wait it out
Old 04-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My community is well-connected, which is one reason I use an iTouch instead of an iPhone - there's free wi-fi all over the place (and if not, it can wait).

I used to have cable Internet through Comcast, but that was awful. I monitored it 24x7 for a while and it was up less than 20% of the time! I'd call them and they'd send these guys with plastic booties to stomp around your house and yard then... no change.

I switched to DSL and no service problems since. I'm not a streamer or gamer.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote