Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How did avocados get so incredibly expensive?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How did avocados get so incredibly expensive?

I had an uncle in Santa Barbara who had an avocado tree in his back yard. No way could they ever eat all of them, or give them all away to family.

I have always enjoyed avocados, but suddenly they seem to have doubled in price. What gives?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have seen several articles about the price increase. I am not sure why. Thankfully, we are still able to get a bag of 5 or 6 at Costco for about $6. We eat them most days.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I had an uncle in Santa Barbara who had an avocado tree in his back yard. No way could they ever eat all of them, or give them all away to family.

I have always enjoyed avocados, but suddenly they seem to have doubled in price. What gives?

Ha
Demand increased, production decreased..

Price of avocado is increasing while yield stays low

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's because Australian and American millennials have made avocado toast a meme - Millionaire to millennials: Lay off the avocado toast if you want a house - May. 15, 2017

I love avocados, but they have definitely doubled in price, even at Costco. Those 5 for $6 bags used to cost $3 a year or so ago. When I get back to FL this fall I am putting in an avocado tree. I was debating between that and an orange tree, but I eat more avocados than oranges.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the hot dry weather had done in avocado trees all over the west coast and Mexico.

Try this instead:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...plant-care.htm

Or hire these guys to sue the avocado growers for some reason:

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Viral sheep. Get used to it. Some article goes viral, or some iPhone app says "Do this", and the next thing you know the sheep are going crazy over it.

Sometimes it is a good thing, like when your neighborhood gets on some phone app radar saying it is a good place. Boom. 10% price rise overnight.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #7

Hass Avocados are a buck each, all day long here at all the fruit stands. Im not an avocado expert so these might be small scrawny ones, just I saw them this morning next to my Italian frying peppers I bought. I remember a story when the "Mob" controlled the price of Artichokes. Lotsa money in some of these green fruits and veggies.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

At the big grocery store near me, small Hass avocados are about $1.25 each. I eat a couple of these each week, and one is the perfect size for an avocado-centric lunch. Even if they were half that price, I'd only be saving about $60/year. I've never thought they seemed particularly expensive.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haas avocados have been $1 each for about as long as I can remember for at least the last decade, in any state I've been in, and I have one every day. The last few weeks they've consistently been $1.49, unless you get a bag of 4-6, then they're around $1.25.

I cannot wait to have a house so I can grow my own avocado tree. If they'll even grow here.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Haas avocados have been $1 each for about as long as I can remember for at least the last decade, in any state I've been in, and I have one every day. The last few weeks they've consistently been $1.49, unless you get a bag of 4-6, then they're around $1.25.

I cannot wait to have a house so I can grow my own avocado tree. If they'll even grow here.
I have often been able to buy them for 49 cents to 69 cents each individually a year ago,
NOW they are $1.25 or more, so I don't buy them.

I basically make guacamole, so instead I buy it ready made $2.99 for 16 oz at Aldi.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

You made me look at my receipt. Just bought one at the grocery store, decent size, $1.99.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #12

The grocery business is one of the most competitive in the world, and constantly changing.

I was just reading a piece on Aldi's expansion and it contained the tidbit that Aldi has owned Trader Joe's since 1979. I had no idea.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I buy them when I want to and never even consider the price, don't even look at it. Too busy squeezing to get just the right firmness.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I had a roast chicken sandwich at lunch, that had a lot of avocado in it, probably half of a big one or all of a smaller avocado. It was delicious!

The sandwich cost the same as it always has. Sounds like the price is going to start going up.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Costco bundles of avocados still $6, but they are from Peru right now which aren't nearly as good as the ones from Mexico.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Just had an avocado in a chicken sandwich. Yum.

Price for avocado (bought at grocery store) was about $1.49. A lot healthier than a giant sized Big Gulp .
Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #17

Same here, up until a couple months ago I paid $.50/each for a small Hass, now it's close to a buck. I use to put a whole one in my morning smoothie, now I cut them in half.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
Administrator

We've noticed a real decline in the quality of the avocados over the past year. The number that seem fine but are rotten in the center has risen along with the price, and we're more bothered with the waste.

Ever increasing demand is straining agricultural production.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

"The average American eats 7 pounds of guacamole a year, up from 1.1 pounds in 1989"

"A standard box of 48 avocados went for $83.75 this week, the ARA reports. That's up from $37.25 in early January."

Unusually hot weather has caused harvest problems, and of course it's a very popular food now.

Avocado prices have soared 125% this year - Sep. 9, 2017
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
The millennial generation has an affinity for avocado toast (just google it) generating excess demand.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote